New to the Ferrari... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
New to the Ferrari...

I know this question has been asked a million times.
I was currently a Porsche owner, 8 in the past.
I am now interested in Ferrari ownership, thus looking for advise on a first time purchase.
I am in and out of cars 18 / 30 months, I like to" progress up".
I definitely want a Berlinetta, I am looking to start with a 360 of 430 and want to stay around 90k to 120k.

My main question is what would be a great car to start with / mileage etc where I could turn the car and not get killed on maintenance?

I do 1500 to 3000 miles per year

Thanks in advance for any and all input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Tarkus

Welcome to the forum

There is a lot of good info here so start reading a lot of the threads

But to answer your question get the newest model Ferrari and best maintained you can afford. So n your case a well cared for 430. Unless you just happens to like the looks or something on the 360 more

Good luck!

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Will try not to hold the P-Car habit against you! Welcome Tarkus.

I think the caveat is the OP's original budget, coupled with his relatively "short" term / low mileage in these cars - specifically the proposed F-Car.

For those parameters, it might be best to get a 360 (one which has recently had the belt service done on somebody else's dime). That way, it's likely he could pick up a NICE example within budget, and only really have to pay for annual maintenance service (fluids), notwithstanding the other usual costs of ownership (fuel, insurance, etc.). Pushing the belt service off on the previous or next guy would save this buyer some coin.
Also, on the selling side, he's less likely to get killed in depreciation this route because the 360 prices have become quite a bit more stable than the F430. I believe the F430 has a few more years of depreciation left in it.

That said, the F430 is a more advanced and powerful, newer model Ferrari. These are not subjective metrics. If you can swing maybe $10k more, you can be in a REAL CHERRY F430 coupe. Some F430 coupes under $130k are pretty awesome. But, beware, the downside loss on selling the car might be more steep with the F430. Inevitably, there will be some folks who chime in that depreciation shouldn't matter in this transaction, but ultimately that's up to the buyer. To me, depreciation matters, and I think with a shorter term, it should play in a bit too.

In this case, it might be prudent to START the research process in the 360. Take a test drive in a 360 as well as an F430, and that should help make the decision pretty clear. For me, personally, I can justify the extra cost to take home an F430 over a 360. If you go for a 360, maybe beware of examples with extraordinarily low mileage. Cars with mileage more in the sweet spot tend to run really well, though their mileage may be considered "high" relative to some of their counterparts (because people have a stigma against driving F cars for some reason). It's just a guess, but I'm thinking the sweet spot mileage for 360's on sale is in the teens-thousands to twenty-thousands (>10k, <30k). Hope I'm not too far off base there. Personally, I don't think the "premium" assigned to 360's with <10k miles is worth it. But that's just me.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.
Is there a mileage number I should not exceed?
ie. getting hurt on resale, say after 30k miles etc.?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Owner

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on mileage. Many owners will tell you, F cars are made to be driven. For me, I'd rather get one with slightly higher miles but has been well maintained and all records, then a low mileage garage queen with little records...

F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #6 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Thank you.
Is there a mileage number I should not exceed?
ie. getting hurt on resale, say after 30k miles etc.?
I wouldn't look at it that way. People here will tell you to buy the car and not be afraid to drive it.

I would naturally say "lower miles are better," and if you plan to do ~3,000 miles per year over no more than 2.5 years, you're gonna be fine for resale. If you have multiple cars to drive for different purposes, even better. Ferrari miles cost money, there's no doubt about that. But if you end up afraid to drive the car because you're afraid of what will happen to your pocket book when you sell it, then you're probably wasting your time. And you're wasting a great deal of supercar talent. Don't do that.

So, I wouldn't look at it so much as a "mileage number not to exceed," but rather how much VALUE can you get out of it while in your care. Miles cost money, but they also bring an "intangible" benefit to the driver!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC355 View Post
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on mileage. Many owners will tell you, F cars are made to be driven. For me, I'd rather get one with slightly higher miles but has been well maintained and all records, then a low mileage garage queen with little records...
Tark, broaden your viewpoint just a bit and pay attention here to MC355. And then take a look at his avatar. It's an F355 berlinetta, a truly great car. I acquired one last summer with what one would consider reasonably high mileage, 36K. But it had been owned by a well-known Ferrari collector and had just received a major belt service at a respected, franchised Ferrari dealership that includes a two-year warranty on that major service. The 355's are great cars and properly maintained and not abused are pretty well bullet-proof. I also prefer their appearance to that of all subsequent 8-cylinder Ferraris until the 458.

You can be in an excellent example for $60K-70K, not so terrible even if you haved to foot the cost of a major service - $7K-8K. Try out Ferrari ownership in one of their best cars and not even lose money if and when you feel you want to sell and "move up." Personally, I've never felt the need to move up when I've been happy with a Ferrari that I enjoy. Moving up ALWAYS implies a significant loss on the depreciating car you're selling to 'move up'. just my 2c.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #8 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
Welcome to the forum Tarkus.

Generally speaking, the mileage demarkation is 10K miles. Anything under that is considered low mileage. However, for your budget and ownership timeline, I wouldn't worry about that. You're unlikely to buy a low-mileage example given your budget and intended use.

My personal recommendation is a 360. They have just about reached the bottom of their depreciation curve, have relatively low upkeep costs, and indeed represent a step up. Plus, they are fantastic cars - each has it's own character, but we much prefer it to the 430.

But the real test is to drive each one you are considering and buy the one that sings to you.

Good luck in your search, it is one of the most enjoyable parts of the experience.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
I had owned Porsches for 20+ years before buying my 360. While I loved my Porsches, and still miss my 911, the Ferrari experience is totally different. Even though my car is a relatively subtle one (non-red), on every drive more than a few miles in length I still get waves and thumbs-up and people taking pictures, etc. That never happened with my 911. In terms of buying advice, I would say that the key thing is getting a PPI (although I didn't follow my own advice, and have just lucked out in having a reliable car). A bad Ferrari is a money pit in a totally different league from a Porsche. If it going to be a driving car (which it should be -- otherwise, what's the point?) I would look for something over 10K miles, for two reasons. First, everything I have heard is that these cars like to be driven. Second, no reason to pay the premium for an under 10K car if you are then going to take it over 10K (that's one mistake I made). Be sure to find out when the last belt change was and either get a car where it had been done recently or figure it into the price. It's only a $2 or $3K job. Also I would find out about clutch life, although the readings aren't necesarily reliable. And the final piece of advice is to not get too excited during the purchase process, even though that is easier said than done when one is purchasing a first Ferrari. Good luck.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I thank you al VERY much.
I thing I'll start my quest for a F 355 Berlinetta...
post #11 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
Tarkus- Do some more reading and research. F355s are great cars, but they require an engine out cambelt service every 3-5 years.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
Many people overlook the 12 cylinder big boys. These cars, the 550, 575m and the 612's, present unparalleled value and performance. Don't forget to consider them. All are now within your stated budget.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I thing I'll start my quest for a F 355 Berlinetta...
awesome. i just got mine, so if you want any advice or what I went through to find a F355 Berlinetta, let me know.

but listen to Taz's advice. read up on all the maintainence and possible issues with an F355...my had a PPI and had all it's service records, including the last one where they had to replace the cats and exhaust manifolds (due to a crack in them), totalling close to $15k in parts and labor.

not trying to scare you, but i debated between a 355 and 360, and i obviously went with a F355. never regretted it...driven both, and I LOVE the F355! just know as much as you can before committing to one or the other...

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode