Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Ferrari Pre-Purchase Help (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-pre-purchase-help/)
-   -   1991 TR 5000 mile service ? (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-pre-purchase-help/20369-1991-tr-5000-mile.html)

tommie 03-11-2013 04:10 PM

1991 TR 5000 mile service ?

just got her with 5500 original miles and since i do not have the manuals for the car, and my first ferrari , what is reccomended for the 5k service? last known ser. @3500 several years ago.

thanks
also any idea where to get replacement bonnet release cable?

ECSofVirginia 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

No one in their right mind will provide a service recommendation, unless they have looked the car over for you. Anyone that does is blowing smoke.

The best thing you can do for yourself and this (I assume) prestine car is have someone that is truly knowledgeable have a look over the car and assess it. From there a check list of important and not as important needs can be discussed.

tommie 03-18-2013 08:08 AM

thanks

i am an ase cert mech and just got a copy of the serv manual ect.
was iddle and not sure as to what to do.
i guess it adds to the cars value if cert Ferrari dealer does vers. your self ? even if capable?

tazandjan 03-18-2013 10:08 AM

Tommie- Doubt it will affect resale that much on a 91 TR as long as the parts used and work done are well documented by you. You could also register a trade name like Tommie's Ferrari Service to add a note of professionalism to your documentation.

Ready to pull the engine on your new redhead for a major service? Sounds like she needs one. With no documentation, like Josh said, you are starting from scratch.

Assume you found ferraridatabase.com, where you can download tech data for free.

ECSofVirginia 03-18-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommie (Post 240281)
i am an ase cert mech and just got a copy of the serv manual ect.
was iddle and not sure as to what to do.
i guess it adds to the cars value if cert Ferrari dealer does vers. your self ? even if capable?

Tommie, as I'm sure you know the is a difference between a mechanic and someone specifically knowledgeable about a particular model's idiosyncrasies and problem areas.

Some service records make a car more valuable than none at all. To some, dealer records are valuable. These days, there is hardly, if anyone at all, in the dealer network that knows all that should be known about servicing a TR.

There are bulletins on these cars that should be tended to, dating as recent as the early 2000's. The worth of the service records is determined by level of detail and thoroughness, just as much as being present.

I would say to spend as much time and effort as you possibly can collecting notes on the various needs of the TR before getting into an actual service. You only want to do it once.