Another scud drops into my range... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Another scud drops into my range...

Well, right away this scud looks to have been seriously driven by how used the driver seat looks.

I think the price looks great. if only it was from a Ferrari dealer, i'd feel more comfortable. from the number of oil changes done, i think the car was tracked quite a bit.

what do you think about the gearbox rebuild? do they install new gears when this is done? i sure would be asking for more detailed records which must show exactly was replaced or rebuilt and who did it. the penske wynn records are included on the ptrs but are hard to read when zoomed in. not sure this car is worth it. for about 25K more, we could be in a newer condition scud...

2008 Used Ferrari F430 Scuderia at Celebrity Cars Las Vegas Serving Las Vegas , NV, IID 10109194

OH, does anyone know this car??????? maybe somone knows someone who knew someone who knew the original owner....

Last edited by chenglo1; 03-10-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

out of price range...

well, looks like a very similar car here but lower miles and 1 year later...

2009 Ferrari F430 Scuderia for Sale - 1630859 - duPontREGISTRY.com

is it worth $30K more? or is it better to save $30K? sooner or later cars will age and accumulate more miles...i'd lean more towards saving the extra $30K.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
If I were buying it only to track the car, this would be a good buy for me. The mileage and repairs are consistent with a tracked car. If they were done my a reputable Ferrari mechanic I'd have no worries. However, if I were buying it as a driver, I would completely pass. I know we're talking 30k here but if If this car is a regular street driver it also means I'll be taking people out and will always have people eyeballing it and I just couldn't take the fact that the seats look like someone relieved themselves on them. Also, from the pics there seems to be a stain rearward between the seats. The fact that these stains were not able to be removed before sale tells me if I want to rectify the perceived (to me) problem, I will need new seats at a minimum.

I don't think it's 30k for new matching seats but that's all I can see in the pics provided. I would probably find a few more items I would dissatisfied with and all the time inching closer to the other Scud's price when taking into account how much I would spend to bring it up to an acceptable condition. The closer I got, the more the low mileage and non-track history would begin to be the better deal IMO.

It's been said here before, the price is low(er) for a reason. Just comes down to whether the "reasons" are ones you're willing to accept.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
I think, with the amount of wear shown here, this car was probably tracked. It's nice that they put the maintenance history on their advertisement, but it also lends some support to the track-history. In particular, I'm talking about the gearbox rebuild at 26k miles and the respray. What other specific Ferrari car have you seen that has had a gearbox rebuild at 26k miles?

Cheng, I would pass on this one - even though the history seems complete, there are too many unknowns. Also, as has been said, it probably wouldn't fit your intended use.

Plus, I have yet to read one "normal" review about Celebrity Cars. People on FChat call them weird.
Edit: It's good to see someone using a track-focused car on a race track though!
post #5 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
Cheng, For another $20K (I realize that's a lot of $$) you can get a much, much nicer Scud.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Cheng,

I agree with everyone above. From our conversations before, I think your 430 or scud will be more on the street than tracked? If so, I'd pass on the first one. You don't want the headaches in case the rebuild was not done by a reputable Ferrari mechanic.

Good luck with the search. Let me know if I can help

Mike

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #7 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Hell no. IF they were asking 120K I would still be most likely saying no.

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,
post #8 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
I believe I the one in sandiego I looked at the service records. A lot of service was done. Oil leaks, brakes etc. if that is the car it was def tracked. I chose to stay away. Find another less serviced car. Good luck
post #9 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
As far as scud prices. I think they won't drop much. We are seeing a dip but I believe they will bounce back a bit and hold. They are solid cars.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Cheng- I would rather have a top feeding F430 than a bottom feeding Scuderia, to paraphrase a fly fishing axiom.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
Well said Taz!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

heard ya'll loud and clear...

Thanks guys. I'll skip on this one. I got the service records from the dealer and most the work as of late was done by Penske Wynn Ferrari. However, i don't think i can handle the headahes if the car starts falling apart. the scud just looks so darn awesome!!! Dont get me wrong, the F430 with Challenge grill comes pretty close! on with the search!!!

BTW isn't it crazy that a 300K car is now 1/2 off??? others in better condition are sittin in the 175 to 200K range. thats 125 to 100K off on 2008 F cars! if we could only extrapolate that same discount on regular f430's we'd see some pretty awesome deals! my question is why not???? aren't the scuds more rare? what in the world is going on here? i am seeing F430 prices jump into the 170's and 180s for some ridiculous reason! thats is basically why i am looking at scuds. gotta keep the options open if F430's are venturing into scud territory. this is off topic. thanks everyone.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
I think the Scuds are (and will likely always be) more than the 430. To me they are worth the difference, but they may be too raw for some. I can understand some older guys wanting more luxury, I'm only 68
Cheng, Wait for a good Scud

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Trouble is Cheng says he cannot afford a good Scud, and buying a bad Scud would be even more expensive, so...

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Owner

Cheng,

Glad to hear the search is on again. I am sure you will find the perfect F car soon

On a side note of what you said, depreciation doesn't affect F cars as bad as others. When I was lookin a while back a Mercedes sl65 AMG, with twin turbos and like 600+hp, originally stickered close to $200k. Now only 5-6 years old and you can get one for $50-60k low mileage... That's 3/4 off!

F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #16 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC355 View Post
When I was lookin a while back a Mercedes sl65 AMG, with twin turbos and like 600+hp, originally stickered close to $200k. Now only 5-6 years old and you can get one for $50-60k low mileage... That's 3/4 off!
Agreed. I see the same behavior when I look at the S65 AMG. Cool cars! Like all Mercedes, they were just so overpriced to begin with.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

spring...

Perhaps the spike in F430 prices is occuring because spring is nearly here. we'll have to see what happens when summer comes. f430 spyders are already demanding a premium with a few exceptions here and there...if the right F430 comes, i'm ready to pounce!!! might need to post a few more threads to get ideas...
post #18 of 30 Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Owner

Cheng,

I think you're correct. Sports cars and convertibles command a higher price during the spring and summer seasons I find

Wonder how much you can save by buying a F430 spider during the winter? Lol

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #19 of 30 Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Wonder how much you can save by buying a F430 spider during the winter?
I thought you bought your F355 during the winter, correct? Well, the short answer is "not much."

See, everyone says there is a seasonal affect. I would agree with that, but only to a minor extent. In ALL of my exhaustive research on the pricing trends for the 360 and the F430, I have found that the bump upwards in price due to spring is nominal. On the 360, it was around $1k. On the F430, it's not that much more money. So, I would consider this to be a little bit of a "drop in the ocean" scenario.

What I WILL concede involves the supply side of the equation. The way I see it, buyers and sellers tend to agree that spring brings the selling season (much like homes) because people want the new car for the nicer weather (not all of us live in year-round Ferrari weather areas). In that case (and since the market for these cars is nationwide, not just local), it is my belief that the market is fueled by people bringing DECENT CARS, and not ratty ones that used to be part of exotic rental car fleets or used for racing purposes. I call these nice cars the "cruisers" because they're pretty much set up for being a nice cruising toy for rich people.

So, rather than looking at what the spring season does to PRICES, I'm much more interested in what it does to SUPPLY. Because, like most of us here, I'm not going to pass up on a cherry car in my budget just because it has bumped upwards in price by a few cents due to the season. FWIW, the FML API has been trending upwards, but very slightly. Still not enough to reverse the overall trend of depreciation.

But, that's just my take - you can buy nice cars all day long at any time of year - especially in the F430 market. But, you're gonna pay for a "perfect" example!
post #20 of 30 Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Quote:
Cheng,

I think you're correct. Sports cars and convertibles command a higher price during the spring and summer seasons I find

Wonder how much you can save by buying a F430 spider during the winter? Lol

Difference would be completely nominal if any at all.

Cheng, how is the search going? Still no luck? I have seen nearly a dozen fabulous F430s move through Jakes Motorcars and Symbolic in SOCAL since you have started your search my friend.

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode