TR Purchase Give your opinion - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
TR Purchase Give your opinion

I'm looking to those TR owners that are familiar with current TR market for a bit of insight. I've identified a car I'm looking to purchase and have just obtained the PPI results for. The car is a very clean 85 Euro and strikes a certain cord with me, so I want to make sure I take the emotion out of the purchase, at least as much as I can.

A few points about me, not my first, or only Ferrari; not my only "fun" car, and this car will be driven not admired with diaper in hand. Also, I intend to use the TR for it's given purpose, long drives and touring which means that it would be this years AZ to Monterey mobile along with a few other fun excursions.

I knew going into this endeavor that the car would need a major service, and prefer it that way as I can make sure to address "the updates" while "I'm in there". I'll be adding the SRI hose kits (fuel and water), SRI connector kit, and the Newman diff and have factored all of that into the cost. Asking price for the car is $55K. Now for the details.

Details of the PPI
- Engine checks out with all cylinders at 190 compression and less than 5% leakdown except for #2 which is at 176 and 10%.
- shift shaft seal seeping
- valve covers leaking
- all suspension bushings are in need of replacement front and rear
- No catalytic convertors on the car (Tubi and straight pipes)
- RR wheel bearing is shot

The rest of the car is described as "very, very nice". My main question is, based on the fact that the repairs outside of recommended updates would run about $17K what is a fair discount to request of the seller? I'm not looking to insult the seller in any way and would like to present a fair offer for the car.

All relevant input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
AZ,

I'm far from an expert on the TR models, but $55K for an early Euro model seems high. Higher still given the needs this car has.

I generally feel it is unrealistic to expect sellers to discount the price equal to all the repairs that are needed. Especially for non-Enzo era or top tier cars, where the repairs are over 30% of the cars market value.

However, based on just the details you've supplied, I think 2/3 of the $17K would price it correctly.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Killer- Other than the mechanical needs the car is quite exceptional actually. The car has been discussed on this forum and many have offered up praise. Praise of course doesn't translate directly to value, as we all know so I'm looking for the middle ground.

Agree that the seller shouldn't be on the hook for the total of all repairs so I'm trying to come up with a fair compromise. Your 2/3's of repairs number strikes me as pretty fair, and I'm willing to leave the necessary updates out of the equation as those are my preference and might not be for another buyer (although they probably should be). By updates I mean the SRI components, diff carrier, etc. I'm just looking at suspension rebuild and major service costs.

Thanks for your input!

post #4 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
Well, then it sounds like your trade space is the "2/3s" and the value of "exceptional".

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode