Smoke from 360 engine compartment - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Smoke from 360 engine compartment

Fellas,

a possible 360 i am looking at had a service call for smoke coming from engine compartment while driving and check engine light came on.

The Ferrari dealer notes say that they ran a diagnostic and found both cam variators peaking. They reset the variators and road test and all was hunky dory (well not in same words).

I called to clarify what in the world was going on with the smoke? i was told that upon maintenance prior to complaint, too much oil was added. Huh??? i had to help fill in the blanks because he was not offering much else...."so ya overfilled and the oil spilled over???" uh huh...concerns me somewhat. i know its a used car but i do not want to go up on smoke while cruisin with a big smile on my face.

any of you buy this or have anything to offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Overfilling a 360 with oil is a bad thing.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Overfilling a 360 with oil is a bad thing.
Not hard to do if you are not checking the level properly though.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Any chance you can get the error code and where in the engine the smoke or steam was coming from? While an inexperienced tech can overfill and eventually trip an ECU, the inexperience may also not clean up correctly.

Smoke may also be a sign of cam seepage which is oil dropping on a header or cat.

A funny story, the first 360 my wife and I test drove smoked up a storm but was no issue. A major service had just been performed and the cleaning products needed a burn period for the engine and exhaust. A good first lesson and gave us a hint to mount an extinguisher for long trips.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #5 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Why gamble, plenty of 360's out there

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #6 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
It is not smoking now, so not a problem. Overfilling, oil spilled or leaking on the exhaust manifold, etc. Once fixed, not a problem.

What was wrong with what the service manager told you (another thread)?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,127
Would the check engine light come on when there's only oil or something else burning on manifold or other engine part? I'd be worried no matter what the salesman says.

Jeroen

Italian bella's:
550 Maranello 7-2000 nero/nero
1974 Ducati 750 Yellow Sport
1974 Ducati 350 Desmo Yellow Sport
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
(And a few Alfa Romeo's and Range Rovers)

Power is nothing without control
post #8 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550JM View Post
Why gamble, plenty of 360's out there
Well, that's not exactly a solution for Cheng.

Knowing his story personally, I know that he has shifted from the F430 into a 360 search because he hasn't been able to find a F430 which fulfills his needs at a reasonable price. Conversely, this is one of the FEW 360's which fits the bill for him. He's searching exclusively for a 3-pedal car, so that narrows down the pool a lot.

In his defense, he has already compromised on the model (perhaps in favor of saving more money towards a 458 Italia when they enter his price range). So, he has to carefully scrutinize any car which fits his needs because, frankly, there aren't a lot of cars out there that meet his requirements.

So, no, not plenty of 360's out there that meet what Cheng wants...
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
Fellas,

a possible 360 i am looking at had a service call for smoke coming from engine compartment while driving and check engine light came on.

The Ferrari dealer notes say that they ran a diagnostic and found both cam variators peaking. They reset the variators and road test and all was hunky dory (well not in same words).

I called to clarify what in the world was going on with the smoke? i was told that upon maintenance prior to complaint, too much oil was added. Huh??? i had to help fill in the blanks because he was not offering much else...."so ya overfilled and the oil spilled over???" uh huh...concerns me somewhat. i know its a used car but i do not want to go up on smoke while cruisin with a big smile on my face.

any of you buy this or have anything to offer?

When initially purchasing mine - found the same thing was done 2 weeks prior as part of "Full Service" before my purchase.....(Another example of only letting those who know what they are doing work on our F-Cars).

Mine was overfilled by 3.5 Quarts...and the oil did not seem to be correct at the time either.

Found the issue as part of a 5 hour "In the bay with the tech" run through of the car from nose to tail at local Ferrari dealer. Once car was up to temp - oil level was 3-4 inches OVER the max line on dip stick.

Thankfully - the car had been in my possession since prior service, and had not been driven hardly at all, much less aggresively - so no oil was found in the intake or leaking profusely from anywhere....and mine certainly wasn't smoking - but it did not "act right" until we completely re-did a full fluid service....proper oil / right amount etc....along with a few other items....and it immediately acted like a different car.

So from a fellow "recent 360 Owner" - at the very least - I would re-do the oil service....but my knowledge on other specifics to maybe look for is very limited.

As a side note - my tech stated one of the biggest causes he sees in our local area for engine issues - from Minor to Full Blown re-build - has to do with improper fluid levels, either too little or too much....because of not having proper certified tech do the work.

Last edited by CBOND2X07; 02-19-2013 at 02:07 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveM5 View Post
Well, that's not exactly a solution for Cheng.

Knowing his story personally, I know that he has shifted from the F430 into a 360 search because he hasn't been able to find a F430 which fulfills his needs at a reasonable price. Conversely, this is one of the FEW 360's which fits the bill for him. He's searching exclusively for a 3-pedal car, so that narrows down the pool a lot.

In his defense, he has already compromised on the model (perhaps in favor of saving more money towards a 458 Italia when they enter his price range). So, he has to carefully scrutinize any car which fits his needs because, frankly, there aren't a lot of cars out there that meet his requirements.

So, no, not plenty of 360's out there that meet what Cheng wants...
Settling for a 360 - simma down nah! A timeless, sexy body style with all the belts a Fcar owner could ever want.

Cheng, buy the latest SI swimsuit issue, select two models, then decide if you could ever settle for her . . . . . . Welcome back to the 360 search and I'm one owner happy to see you back!! On the topic of 430's - what happened with the silver manual F430 at FofNE? That particular thread had some thoughts on the list pricing at FofNE but cars with your requirement come at a premium which from what I've seen they do an excellence job in sourcing/accepting the right cars to their showroom without some of the "features" you could discover elsewhere.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
post #11 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
you guys are the best!

Thanks for the info fellas! i feel better in knowing that over fill could really present itself in that manner.

This particular 360 has all the options that i would have ordered if i were buying new so i have to give it a very serious look.

Blu, this 360 is not a sealed deal yet. I would purchase this 360 but it has to be a significant enough savings in order to steer me away from the F430. That silver F430 is still attractive but doubt seller would bend much on price as it is still new on the market. Silver must have yellow calipers for me to bite at this point. I asked if FoNE would swap calipers to sell the car to me and they said, "no. due to safety concerns" Look fwd to your replies. i need to find a PPI person now!
post #12 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
you can get the calipers painted anytime you know...the script is available and it will look OEM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Settling for a 360 - simma down nah! A timeless, sexy body
style with all the belts a Fcar owner could ever want.
I certainly didn't make a comment about "compromising" on the model in any negative manner. Cheng knows how I feel - this Ferrari model dilemma is a really good problem to have!

I was just trying to frame the situation a little bit better.

Heck, I'm gunning hard for a 360 right now, and I wouldn't consider it "settling" in any manner, at least not for me!
post #14 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
you can get the calipers painted anytime you know...the script is available and it will look OEM.

+1 : IF this is all that is keeping you from a well sorted car, it would not be a factor in my decision.

However, it sounds like you are still concerned about he 'smoke incident'. Personally, I don't see how the cabin got smoke, other than into the air intakes and it must have been huge and not a good situation as in person filling didn't know squat about dry sump or what it can do if overfilled: Bad.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode