Saw a 360 and have some Qs before I buy! - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Saw a 360 and have some Qs before I buy!

Hi all,

Yesterday I saw a 360 Spider (2005, 26k miles) I really like. I have a few Qs and I'd appreciate your comments as always..

Clutch is at 70%, so 30% left. How many miles (best guess) before it needs done?

Paint has lots of micro scratches. Dealer says they'll polish them out. Can this be done?

One headlight misted up - car had just been washed. Dealer said it wasn't a problem - he didn't offer to fix it, just brushed over it! Thoughts?

Dealer recommended a sports exhaust. Didn't say what make. Thoughts again?

Finally, I may change the leather from crema to black. I was told this can be done and it will look perfect. Is this an easy enough job for a pro?

Thanks in advance

Steven
Stevro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
Steven,

The 360 is an excellent choice!
It's impossible to say how long the clutch will last, it is heavily dependent on how you drive the car. But 30% remaining is on the low side.
A good detail shop can indeed polish out micro-scratches. However, to get the mirror finish many desire can be a bit expensive.
The headlight fogging up is an indication it has lost its seal. Not a big deal, but it does have to be taken apart, cleaned, and resealed.
There are many different types of aftermarket exhaust for the 360, as well as Ferrari's own sports/racing exhaust. They're all a matter of taste and what sound you prefer. I have the factory race option on mine and love it. Although I also like Capristo and Tubi, I'm glad I don't have them during long drives! They are much louder. Note, these aftermarket exhausts are quite expensive and mounting them properly is not always straightforward. Best do a search on them here and read about them as well as a YouTube search for how they sound. Lots of info on the web.
The interior color can be changed but that is seriously expensive. If you are thinking of dying the existing leather, I have just one word of advice: DONT. It will not look perfect and will get worse with age.

One last note, download the Buyer's Guide and read it three or four times. It will be invaluable in your decision.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
+1 to David's reply. The compromised headlight seal is all to common but a risky/costly fix. Search the forum for 'headlight microwave' to get an idea of one fix.

I would ask the dealer to clarify 70%. Often an inspection will come back at 70% which notes 30% worn, not remaining.

Unless the leather is in very poor condition I'd stay away from the idea. It can be done but not a good idea for resale purposes alone.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Steven,

The 360 is an excellent choice!
It's impossible to say how long the clutch will last, it is heavily dependent on how you drive the car. But 30% remaining is on the low side.
A good detail shop can indeed polish out micro-scratches. However, to get the mirror finish many desire can be a bit expensive.
The headlight fogging up is an indication it has lost its seal. Not a big deal, but it does have to be taken apart, cleaned, and resealed.
There are many different types of aftermarket exhaust for the 360, as well as Ferrari's own sports/racing exhaust. They're all a matter of taste and what sound you prefer. I have the factory race option on mine and love it. Although I also like Capristo and Tubi, I'm glad I don't have them during long drives! They are much louder. Note, these aftermarket exhausts are quite expensive and mounting them properly is not always straightforward. Best do a search on them here and read about them as well as a YouTube search for how they sound. Lots of info on the web.
The interior color can be changed but that is seriously expensive. If you are thinking of dying the existing leather, I have just one word of advice: DONT. It will not look perfect and will get worse with age.

One last note, download the Buyer's Guide and read it three or four times. It will be invaluable in your decision.
Thanks for your comments. I've downloaded the guide. Cheers!
Stevro is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
+1 to David's reply. The compromised headlight seal is all to common but a risky/costly fix. Search the forum for 'headlight microwave' to get an idea of one fix.

I would ask the dealer to clarify 70%. Often an inspection will come back at 70% which notes 30% worn, not remaining.

Unless the leather is in very poor condition I'd stay away from the idea. It can be done but not a good idea for resale purposes alone.
The dealer's response to the headlight left me a little worried. I'd have expected it to be offered to be fixed if I buy.

He ran an SD2 while I was there and it was 30% remaining.

Thanks for the heads up on the leather. I'll rule that out based on both comments.

Cheers!
Stevro is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
70% clutch wear after only 26K seems high. Not unheard of, but still high.
I recommend a thorough PPI.
Yes, I would have expected them to fix the headlight too.
On the plus side, you can use both to negotiate the price.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Ferrari Life Posts: 151
A complete machine polish will remove 90+% of fine microscratches ('swirls') but deeper ones aren't worth chasing in some cases. A pro will have a paint depth gauge to check how much paint there is to play with and typically wont remove more than 5 microns of the c. 130 you have on the car.
I can arrange the job for you if you wish, cost will be 5-600. The car will also need to be washed, clay barred, cleansed and waxed as part of the process and will look a million dollars.

There is a great thread on another forum about cleaning out the inside of 360 headlights, takes about an hour, some patience and bits of household bric a brac.

I'd stick with the current exhaust until you have some miles in the car and have found an owner with another identical car with a different exhaust who might take you out for a passenger ride. I find the stock exhaust in mine perfect.

Clutch wear, and the likely time of replacement depends how and how much you drive the car. Note that some clutches have been perfectly driveable at over 100% wear from anecdotes I have heard, so this reading isnt totally reliable. Works the other way too btw.

As for a PPI, try www.carinspections.co.uk.
V8TDF is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
70% clutch wear after only 26K seems high. Not unheard of, but still high.
I recommend a thorough PPI.
Yes, I would have expected them to fix the headlight too.
On the plus side, you can use both to negotiate the price.
Thanks
Stevro is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TDF View Post
A complete machine polish will remove 90+% of fine microscratches ('swirls') but deeper ones aren't worth chasing in some cases. A pro will have a paint depth gauge to check how much paint there is to play with and typically wont remove more than 5 microns of the c. 130 you have on the car.
I can arrange the job for you if you wish, cost will be 5-600. The car will also need to be washed, clay barred, cleansed and waxed as part of the process and will look a million dollars.

There is a great thread on another forum about cleaning out the inside of 360 headlights, takes about an hour, some patience and bits of household bric a brac.

I'd stick with the current exhaust until you have some miles in the car and have found an owner with another identical car with a different exhaust who might take you out for a passenger ride. I find the stock exhaust in mine perfect.

Clutch wear, and the likely time of replacement depends how and how much you drive the car. Note that some clutches have been perfectly driveable at over 100% wear from anecdotes I have heard, so this reading isnt totally reliable. Works the other way too btw.

As for a PPI, try www.carinspections.co.uk.
Thanks for this. If I need the polish I'll PM you. I'll see how the dealer plans to polish first. I wouldn't imagine it would be to the same standard judging by his attitude to the headlamp!

I'll check out the PPI now and book one ASAP.

Cheers!
Stevro is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TDF View Post
A complete machine polish will remove 90+% of fine microscratches ('swirls') but deeper ones aren't worth chasing in some cases. A pro will have a paint depth gauge to check how much paint there is to play with and typically wont remove more than 5 microns of the c. 130 you have on the car.
I can arrange the job for you if you wish, cost will be 5-600. The car will also need to be washed, clay barred, cleansed and waxed as part of the process and will look a million dollars.

There is a great thread on another forum about cleaning out the inside of 360 headlights, takes about an hour, some patience and bits of household bric a brac.

I'd stick with the current exhaust until you have some miles in the car and have found an owner with another identical car with a different exhaust who might take you out for a passenger ride. I find the stock exhaust in mine perfect.

Clutch wear, and the likely time of replacement depends how and how much you drive the car. Note that some clutches have been perfectly driveable at over 100% wear from anecdotes I have heard, so this reading isnt totally reliable. Works the other way too btw.

As for a PPI, try www.carinspections.co.uk.
I'd like to reply with some caution for the note of simplicity unless you have hands-on experience with a process I'm not yet familiar with. In summary, I'm assuming you're referring to removing/replacing the headlight (IMO this is more than an hour in itself), short bake in the microwave to losen up seal, repair itself, reseal & hope the seal holds after first drive?

My drivers side headlight is also a candidate for this repair that I have not tackled soley in fear of sticking it into the microwave. Also, the inner part of the 360 headlight is color matched paint which if you have to replace the headlight with a salvaged part you'll need some luck in finding the correct color code or setup shop for painting. I recall an OEM replacement could be north of $6k with a long wait time.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
I recall an OEM replacement could be north of $6k with a long wait time.
Stevro is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Owner
 
BluNart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevro View Post
Good news is you're in the negotiating seat before you have it in your garage. Had I sourced our 360 locally I would have done as you're attempting in having the dealership fix the seal. Benefit being it's local for warranty in the event it fails again.

Ferrari: 2001 360 Modena Coupe
Other: 2004 C5 Coupe
BluNart is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin
Ferrari Life Posts: 28
I just bought a 04 350 spider. A couple of items I'll pass along: The PPI revealed the instrument panel's backlight was non-functional. Dealer had to remove the dash and send it out to an electronics shop. Would have been an expensive fix if the PPI hadn't spotted it. This alone paid for the PPI (which was $400). Also, the check engine light came on after driving it for a week. The gas cap had come apart and was no longer properly sealing the tank. No big deal, you say? Well a new cap is $500!! Even a used one is over $200. Just something to look at. It shouldn't come apart.

Dennis
Dmick is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Good news is you're in the negotiating seat before you have it in your garage. Had I sourced our 360 locally I would have done as you're attempting in having the dealership fix the seal. Benefit being it's local for warranty in the event it fails again.
I'll be chatting to the dealer once I get the PPI done so hopefully we can agree on a price that suits us both.

Thanks
Stevro is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmick View Post
I just bought a 04 350 spider. A couple of items I'll pass along: The PPI revealed the instrument panel's backlight was non-functional. Dealer had to remove the dash and send it out to an electronics shop. Would have been an expensive fix if the PPI hadn't spotted it. This alone paid for the PPI (which was $400). Also, the check engine light came on after driving it for a week. The gas cap had come apart and was no longer properly sealing the tank. No big deal, you say? Well a new cap is $500!! Even a used one is over $200. Just something to look at. It shouldn't come apart.

Dennis
Amazing how the costs add up for seemingly small items/issues. Thanks for the heads up.
Stevro is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmick View Post
I just bought a 04 350 spider. A couple of items I'll pass along: The PPI revealed the instrument panel's backlight was non-functional. Dealer had to remove the dash and send it out to an electronics shop. Would have been an expensive fix if the PPI hadn't spotted it. This alone paid for the PPI (which was $400). Also, the check engine light came on after driving it for a week. The gas cap had come apart and was no longer properly sealing the tank. No big deal, you say? Well a new cap is $500!! Even a used one is over $200. Just something to look at. It shouldn't come apart.

Dennis
Congrats on the recent purchase
Stevro is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin
Ferrari Life Posts: 28
04 360 Spider -

I know we all like pix and videos. Here's my "new" car.
Attached Images
   
Dmick is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
VERY nice Dennis! Hope the Black & White next to you just stopped for a look!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
Dennis- Very pretty. I am too lazy for a black car, but they look great when clean like yours.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Jamarico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Small country in the heart of Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Beautiful Spider...nice colorcomb.
It isn't the OEM exhaust, right?

....enjoy it!

---------------------------------
Daily driver: 987S - black/black
Just4fun: 360 Modena - blu pozzi/tan
Jamarico is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale