Buying F355, need a list of things to look out for, am I missing somthing? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Buying F355, need a list of things to look out for, am I missing somthing?

Thanks to the help of this sight I have decided the F355 spyder is the car for me. I found a nice 1999 with under 20k, a clean carfax and the features I want. Should I get the PPI if I know the car has not had the engine out service because the belt looks good if I plan on having the 30K service done next year? I expect that to cost around $5,000 from a local shop.

I understand the exhaust manifold is also an issue with the 355, if that has not been replaced should I worry, and does anyone know the cost of that fix? If it is a problem will a PPI discover it or is it a problem that can not be detected until it goes bad?

Lastly, have I missed any important issues, thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
Get the PPI anyway.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
There were also: valve guide issues but I think they might have been corrected by '99, fuel line recalls, problems with shrinking dash leather, and some spyders develop problems with the convertible tops. Keep it on a battery conditioner if you buy.Get the PPI. It might save you way more than it cost$. Best of luck, and keep researching.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I am lining up the PPI, if anyone has a source in LA I could use the name. I read the valves were fixed by 97 so I feel safe about that. I have not heard anything about the convertible top before now so thanks for the tip.
If anyone can help me with the cost of a new exhaust manifold that would be a lot of help. This will be my first Ferrari and I don't want to miss a common problem.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorob74 View Post
I am lining up the PPI, if anyone has a source in LA I could use the name. I read the valves were fixed by 97 so I feel safe about that. I have not heard anything about the convertible top before now so thanks for the tip.
If anyone can help me with the cost of a new exhaust manifold that would be a lot of help. This will be my first Ferrari and I don't want to miss a common problem.
hey man,

i have a 1995 F355 being delivered in the next 2-3 weeks. my car passed its PPI, and had its engine out major service recently, and had exhaust manifold changed out. i think it was $2-3k for each exhaust manifold (minus labor)...i don't have the service record in front of me but that's what i remember. definitely check that too.

good luck

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Thanks to the help of this sight I have decided the F355 spyder is the car for me. I found a nice 1999 with under 20k, a clean carfax and the features I want. Should I get the PPI if I know the car has not had the engine out service because the belt looks good if I plan on having the 30K service done next year? I expect that to cost around $5,000 from a local shop.

I understand the exhaust manifold is also an issue with the 355, if that has not been replaced should I worry, and does anyone know the cost of that fix? If it is a problem will a PPI discover it or is it a problem that can not be detected until it goes bad?

Lastly, have I missed any important issues, thanks in advance for any help.
$5,000 for the belt service is the absolute bare minimum. Depending on what they find, you can expect to easily spend twice as much. If this car has never had the engine out then it needs the service NOW - not a year from now.

I believe you can get a pair of Tubi headers for $4,600 on EuroSpares. One can tell from a visual inspection if headers are going bad - there are tell-tale signs. When they are 'shot' you will know it...from the sound it will make.

Alegedly, the brass valve guides have been found even in '98 and '99 F355s. Get a leak down test done during the PPI. If you have any cylinder over 10%, personally I'd walk away. I'm willing to bet a dozen donuts that cylinders #2 and #7 will have the worst results.

Check the interior for the bubbling and sticky plastics. To have it properly addressed can cost significant $. Mine was already done so I don't know pricing but it is over a grand, I believe.

The F355 is an expensive date and will drain your wallet. Treat her right though and she'll put out for you like nothing else. Good luck.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
Total cost of getting all the stickies professionaly done is around $2k. You might not have to do all of it though and can do some yourself if you have the time and patience.

The cheapest commericaly available headers are probably the Fabpseeds. I think they are $2995. You can also get the stock headers re-built in 304 stainless for around the same price.

My major service was $9600. I had new cats put on at that time plus a few other little things. I'd say $5k would be a bare minimum for a major at a reputable shop if they find nothing else to be done on the car. That's quite a bit less than what my shop charges though.

Getting a new 360 F1 pump installed seems to be in the $3.5k range.

New clutch seems to be around $2.6k. This is one of the few things that costs less on a 355 than many other Ferraris.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 248
Who have 355 f1 berlinetta to sell cheap

I am looking for a 1998-1999 ferrari 355 f1 berlinetta

-------------in florida---close by --for a client

who have one for sale ?
Call
mark (954) 822-4930
any condition--hi miles ok--needs work not a problem---(in florida)

or other states
Attached Images

post #9 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

There is a lot of info here, I called fabsteel their manifold is $3,000 and it does not need the first set of cats. the tech there told me that all exhaust man. will go bad in time his estimate was 25K miles.

The car with 17K miles does have sticky controls, I did not realize it was that common. He had a source to fix that it sounds like I should take him up on it.

I am sure it had engine out service, it just was not done in the last 18 months, we worked out a deal where Black Horse in the LA area will do the work, I will cover $3,000 of it.

jgriffja, your service had a lot of work listed, could you let me know how many miles your car had on it please? I thought if I had the PPI and provided it looked good then the engine out for belt service I would be in good shape. Please tell me this work you list was over a period of years!
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM

No more engine out---remove fuel tank

Hi guys

no more engine out, he stood up where the fuel tank was (to do belts)

my friend just removed the fuel tank from (1998 ferrari f355) for good

had a custom built fuel tank installed up-front (fuel lines to rear)

cut a 3" hole in the cross member, just in front of the
harmonic balance , weld a small round pipe inside of the hole
so a socket will clear to remove that big nut in front of timing wheel

he does all the major work himself----easy access to everything
----------------------------------think about it

he will put the tank back to resell

j
post #11 of 18 Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
Quote:
There is a lot of info here, I called fabsteel their manifold is $3,000 and it does not need the first set of cats. the tech there told me that all exhaust man. will go bad in time his estimate was 25K miles.

The car with 17K miles does have sticky controls, I did not realize it was that common. He had a source to fix that it sounds like I should take him up on it.

I am sure it had engine out service, it just was not done in the last 18 months, we worked out a deal where Black Horse in the LA area will do the work, I will cover $3,000 of it.

jgriffja, your service had a lot of work listed, could you let me know how many miles your car had on it please? I thought if I had the PPI and provided it looked good then the engine out for belt service I would be in good shape. Please tell me this work you list was over a period of years!
My car has had about $28k spent on it in less than a year! The first two things on this list were done by the dealer I bought it from before I purchased it. The work they did was over priced. My shop would have done it cheaper. The previous owner had a Nouvolari muffler installed right before he sold it also. The only major thing I have left to do is headers. The shop says mine are fine for now.

$8,500.00 Throw out bearing replaced, F1 instrument cluster replaced,oil and filter changed, air filters changed, rear main seal replaced, clutch kit installed, 4 wheel alignment, F1 Sensor replaced

$2,500.00 - Interior leather work

$9,613.55 - New Fabspeed primary catalytic converters installed, full engine out service, RH CV Boot Replaced, plus various other items

$1,059.46 - Center Console sent out for refinish + replacement of recirc button. Cost includes UPS shipping.

$200.00 - Extreme detaing including leather cleaning and conditioning

$118.44 - New floor mats

$993.14 - Annual service + diagnoses of CEL caused by bad temperature switch, replaced radiator thermo switch

$220.41 - Door triangles sent out for refinishing $190 + shipping

$708.25 - New Tires

Estimated $4500 - Install new F1 pump, install tires, replace thermostat and check cooling system. The car is in the shop for this right now. I'm guessing on the final cost.

The car is really starting to look like new now. I don't think I've seen another 355 in the shop with seats that look as good as mine. Having it professionaly detailed really made a difference.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

So how many miles are on the car? Are a lot of these things happening after 20K, 30K, 40K ect... My ticket is bought and I am going to test drive a 348 and 355 next week. I understand the 348 is a less advanced car, that means both less expensive and less performance. I am not sure there will be enough performance to justify a price difference between the two cars if you add $28,000 to it! I know the 348 will have trouble but that much?
post #13 of 18 Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 AM

Keep us informed / nice hunting

Let us know how you feel about the f355

i am in the market also for a 1998-1999 ferrari 355 f1 berlinetta

the 355 has the most beautiful body--hands down-----except new 458

u can hook me up if you find a-- f1 berlinetta you---( don't want)
in florida
post #14 of 18 Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello Krome,

Both 355's are spyders, I can get you the information on them if you like, who knows you may have trouble finding a coupe.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Spiders everywhere

Hi guy
tons of spiders for sale everywhere------
i want a --berlinetta 355 f1---

- hydraulic problem with convertible top--plus canvas maintenance

thanks though
keep your eyes open
j
Attached Images

post #16 of 18 Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM

Looking

See anything yet for a decent price

looks like tons of 355 spiders ---360---up for sale
asking too much in this ---depressed economy----hardly anything selling

they will have to eat it themselves ! @ those hi prices----
i am in no hurry

sit back & wait for price---drop a lot lower
post #17 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM

This is it ferrari 355

Burgundy & tan $35,000 for my ferrari 355 guys
Attached Images

post #18 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
A guy cut his frame because he's too cheap to have the car serviced properly? I wouldn't wish that car on any one I liked, or could ever find me afterwards.

Don't ever buy a 355 without a proper inspection, unless you are perfectly comfortable with blowing as much as $30k right after you purchase it. Don't buy a 355 just because someone says it's serviced either. There is a difference between a backyard frame cutter doing a dis-service and an experienced shop performing a thorough servicing and addressing additional needs to make it a healthy car.

I strongly suggest establishing NOW, a relationship with your soon to be local Ferrari service center. Establish this relationship with someone that actually knows the cars and isn't going to simply tell you what you want to hear. Allow them to help guide you in the car selection process.

Don't be surprised if you need several months and several cars before finding the right one. It happens.

A 355 major starts at 40hrs in most shops, at roughly $120hr for labor= $4800. A major kit from Ricambi is $1600, good reference point. Figure on $500 in fluids and misc.. The number you should start with on a check list service: $7000.

There are a lot of opinions and bad information floating around the internet regarding 355's. Spend the time to understand why and do your best to make sense of what you can. Talk to your future service provider to help you through the rest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode