What to look for when buying a 360 Spider? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
What to look for when buying a 360 Spider?

Hi all,

I'n a newbie and this is my first post. I'm planning on buying my 'first car' which I've decided will an automatic 360 Spider

I'll probably have to go for the cheapest one I can find i.e. older / higher mileage. My investments didn't go well

Can anyone tell me key questions I should ask a dealer?

Thanks in advance

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Start here:
FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 - FerrariChat.com

Google search also. Lots of resources already posted on this subject. You just need to search & read.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Looks like a good read. Thanks!

post #4 of 39 Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
You can also go to ferraridatabase.com and download an owners manual and workshop manual so you can learn more about the car. The WSM is good for insomnia, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Downloaded them. Thanks again.

I'm searching and reading as I go. Great forum!
post #6 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Hi Steve, welcome to the site. I hope you find what you are looking for. Be careful on the cheapest cars. They may have many issues and at the end of the day cost more to service than you buying a good car. If you need any help , you can email me.
Thanks and good luck.
Alex.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Thanks Alex for chiming in.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
Hi Steve, welcome to the site. I hope you find what you are looking for. Be careful on the cheapest cars. They may have many issues and at the end of the day cost more to service than you buying a good car. If you need any help , you can email me.
Thanks and good luck.
Alex.
Much appreciated Alex

I know what you mean about bargains, but I've got a limited budget. It could end up backfiring on me but the other option is a different make altogether

As I only have around £40-50k to spend, it's a higher mileage 360 or a more recent 911.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Honestly I would go with a more recent 911 or used 4.2 liter R8.

If budget is a legitimate concern I would not own an F car out of warranty. Especially not one that is higher mileage.

I have a 430 that I have the aftermarket warranty on (which covers nearly everything) and the thing is still a money pit with relatively few issues.

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,
post #10 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCCHRIS View Post
Honestly I would go with a more recent 911 or used 4.2 liter R8.
Now that's a shock! I didn't expect to hear that comment. I thought on here it was Ferrari or nothing.

I appreciate the advice. I've got some budget for servicing and unforeseen issues, but I guess I don't want to throw money away on the other hand.

The 360 is just so goddam sexy!!!
post #11 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Incidentally, there are no automatic 360s. Both the three pedal and F1 versions have the same manual six speed transaxle and the same single dry-plate clutch. Only the shifter mechanisms and the throw-out bearings are different. There is an Auto setting on the F1 cars, but it is a pretty poor excuse for an automatic transmission since it has no torque converter like an automatic transmission or wet clutches like the latest cars with dual clutch transmissions.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevro View Post
Now that's a shock! I didn't expect to hear that comment. I thought on here it was Ferrari or nothing.

I appreciate the advice. I've got some budget for servicing and unforeseen issues, but I guess I don't want to throw money away on the other hand.

The 360 is just so goddam sexy!!!

For the most part service really isn't too bad. 1500-10,000 USD per year (depending on new clutch, how many miles, tires, etc.)

Its those unforeseen issues like an F1 unit going out... A friend of mine just paid 14 grand, I want to say just for the pump to be replaced?

If you intend to use a 360 for a daily driver, I would advise against it strongly. If you have a DD and this will be a weekend car go for it. Otherwise go for the Porsche.

F430, 458 Challenge, Ford GT, Gallardo, C63 Black,
post #13 of 39 Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCCHRIS View Post

If you intend to use a 360 for a daily driver, I would advise against it strongly. If you have a DD and this will be a weekend car go for it. Otherwise go for the Porsche.
I would disagree, having a stand-in car for when the weather is impossible or the 360 is in the shop is doable and a very nice treat. The boot is 250 litres. You have heated seats and mirrors. It's a small car. It's a good DD in my opinion.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
A 360 can make a decent DD. But I would never own any Ferrari to drive daily, not even an FF. IMHO it needs to be a special treat. I don't want to park at the supermarket and get trollies banging into it. I don't want to sit in traffic for an hour every day, burning up my clutch. This latter issue is particularly valid for 360 F1's, they do NOT like traffic jams.

I want to drive my Ferrari when I feel like DRIVING. 95% of my daily driving is just getting somewhere and trying not to get hit by road abusers.... Driving a Ferrari will give me hardly more enjoyment and a lot more stress.

Regarding reliability - I think you'll be fine but you have to buy a very good car. Buying the cheapest will make you an emotional wreck! Just so you are warned.

If you can't afford a good 360, then don't buy a Ferrari for a daily driver. Other Ferraris are too old to have the mod cons and are not really built for daily use. The 355 could work but maintenance is expensive if you rack up the mileages.

Personally, I do not understand why people are desperate to have a Ferrari as a daily driver if they can't afford one easily. You are burning money that takes you a long time to earn! Buy a nice older Ferrari for the weekends that won't cost you a fortune to run and won't kill you on depreciation (such as 328 or 308) and in fact might well appreciate. You'll still get all the good things from owning a Ferrari, but at least you won't hate the car for making you poor.

Anyway, we are all different so make the choice that you are happy with. Just go into it with eyes wide open.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 39 Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Not sure where the DD bit came in, but your budget will give you lots of choice to find a good car. Now is a good time to buy.
Just get it inspected before you sign on the line. As you are in the UK you may find www.carinspections.co.uk useful.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments. They make great reading. Lots of debate!

Many say don't buy if you can't afford etc etc, BUT I guess going to the limit on your finances and getting the best you can afford are what 'drives' some people. That limit might be £30k or £130k. For me, I want an F430, but can afford a 360. Now repairs might force me to sell it eventually, but at least I'll get the Ferrari experience.

I've never had a nice sports car yet and I'm 49. I think I deserve to stretch myself and buy something nice before I'm 50 (a landmark year for me!)

Living in a flat in London makes the two car scenario hard. Double costs for parking insurance etc etc. Maybe I'll live to regret a 360 as a DD, but it's the only way at the moment. I know some will say, parking, insurance etc for a DD runaround will be cheaper than service costs incurred with a DD 360, but let's see.

Wherever I drive in or out of London, I want the Ferrari Life!

Upgraded my membership here. Reading loads. Test drives next week :-)
post #17 of 39 Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Oh and I guess my initial question still stands - some key Qs that won't make me look like the Ferrari novice I so clearly am. Those dealers can smell the fear!!!!

That said, downloads and search are helping massively :-)
post #18 of 39 Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Understanding more your situation now I would listen to Onno's words. You must clearly have a budget which permits you to maintain, drive, repair occasional dents, a protected parking (for heaven's sake), sell and lose money, etc, to enjoy it as a daily driver without worrying.

A 308 or 328 and a protected parking will fit your budget with room to spare for surprises and for your secure comfort of ownership. These are epic Ferraris, never forget and without depreciation. Chances are you will not enjoy a car on a stretched budget.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevro View Post
Oh and I guess my initial question still stands - some key Qs that won't make me look like the Ferrari novice I so clearly am. Those dealers can smell the fear!!!!

That said, downloads and search are helping massively :-)
Ask for service history records.

A 360 that has been well documented will tell you what to expect in running cost over the next year or two.

The worst thing for a 360 is not to be driven - most if not all of the depreciation is gone so the cost of servicing should be your only concern.
post #20 of 39 Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Understanding more your situation now I would listen to Onno's words. You must clearly have a budget which permits you to maintain, drive, repair occasional dents, a protected parking (for heaven's sake), sell and lose money, etc, to enjoy it as a daily driver without worrying.

A 308 or 328 and a protected parking will fit your budget with room to spare for surprises and for your secure comfort of ownership. These are epic Ferraris, never forget and without depreciation. Chances are you will not enjoy a car on a stretched budget.
Ok. I'll keep reading and research 308s and 328s. Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode