PPI by seller and not buyer? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
PPI by seller and not buyer?

Hello Folks,

I'm talking to a seller and looking to put together a deal on a 355. The seller is going to send the car for a major (at his expense) and I was planning to have a PPI done at that time, at my expense and direction.

He is now stating that he will have the PPI done so if our deal falls thru, he will have the PPI for the next potential buyer.

This is troubling me since I feel it's my responsibility to pay for the PPI and have the dealer representing me, not the seller.

And, I was prepared to give him a deposit now contingent on the service and positive PPI and he now wants to wait until the PPI is done to accept the deposit. Is it me or does this feel wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Hello Folks,

I'm talking to a seller and looking to put together a deal on a 355. The seller is going to send the car for a major (at his expense) and I was planning to have a PPI done at that time, at my expense and direction.

He is now stating that he will have the PPI done so if our deal falls thru, he will have the PPI for the next potential buyer.

This is troubling me since I feel it's my responsibility to pay for the PPI and have the dealer representing me, not the seller.

And, I was prepared to give him a deposit now contingent on the service and positive PPI and he now wants to wait until the PPI is done to accept the deposit. Is it me or does this feel wrong?
If there is a next potential buyer but doesn't have a relationship with the inspecting mechanic, they'll most likely use it for reference and have a private inspection on their dime. Maybe the seller has another buyer and is considering his/her options before accepting your offer?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNart View Post
Maybe the seller has another buyer and is considering his/her options before accepting your offer?
Yes, I'm also wondering about that. We had a "handshake" deal and it seems like things are changing and it's making me question if I should move on or keep trying to get this done...

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Agree with the above, but in my case MY PPI would be my trusted doc and a requirement regardless of what a seller shows me as being his 'gospel'.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
I'd like to add that having a PPI conducted by the same party that is being paid a handsome sum by the current owner for service might not be an "impartial third-party" anymore. Think of the dollars they're getting from the current owner, relative to the relatively minor sum you are paying them for their inspection.

If I were you, I'd tell the current owner to skip paying for the PPI on his own, as a future savvy buyer would probably require their own anyway. And, I'd find another party to conduct the PPI on the car in question for the reasoning above.

I don't think you're wrong, it feels a little bit backwards. But everyone has their own kind of crazy (in this case, the seller).

Good luck!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Maybe I'm crazy but why not take the cost of the major off the sale price and do a proper PPI at your expense. Personally I'd rather have my guy do the whole thing anyway. What is a PPI going to find that a proper major won't correct except real bad stuff. Do a leak down and look for big problems. (headers, Valve guides, etc...)

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but why not take the cost of the major off the sale price and do a proper PPI at your expense. Personally I'd rather have my guy do the whole thing anyway. What is a PPI going to find that a proper major won't correct except real bad stuff. Do a leak down and look for big problems. (headers, Valve guides, etc...)
+1 - A nice solution to getting the car with your own mechanic making it right. Two birds with one stone with the PPI being done before the major starts, just in case any gremlins pop up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode