Electrical Harness Short/ Alternator - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
Electrical Harness Short/ Alternator

Friends,

RE: 2003 360 FI Modena 23K miles

I am presently doing my due diligence on a potential purchase. The owner has a few records that show at 17K miles the Alternator-Starter Wiring Harness shorted and was repaired, that was approx 2 yrs ago. Also at the same time the transmission was stuck in neutral. All these repairs were done at the same time.

According to Brian C. 's article on Forza the 360 does suffer from Electical Gremlins due to grounding; however, my understanding was that this was an issue in the earlier MY 99-01.

Once this type of repair has been done, am I in the clear or is this a recurrent problem that once it happens it will continue to do so.

Thanks for your input,
Coz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Well Brian C aka BRIAN on this site will set you straight should he see this thread.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
I will let Brian answer it but it would make sense that if the repair was done properly, you are in the clear.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Great -
I, too, would hope once it is corrected it stays that way. I will wait for Brian and others to chime in.
Coz
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Sorry to say but from your description we really don't know what was wrong and only a sketchy description of the fix. Not uncommon. Many shops, service writers etc feel feel the more vague the better.

I really hate taking part in guess work so I refrain from doing it. They have had a reputation of damaging the alternator harness but not from shorts per se. The description does not surprise me, most service writers and many professional mechanics have as much knowledge of electricity as I have practicle knowledge of walking on the moon.

The almost constantly compromised batteries generally require the alternators to work at or near maximum at far higher duty cycles than they were ever designed to often causing the cable and rectifier damage.

Cars that are daily driven almost never have those issues.

As to the grounding issues and gremlins. As long as those cars had an aluminum structure and poor quality, small, high output Japanese alternators with fragile, overloaded rectifiers and almost constantly compromised batteries they had gremlins.

I just described every 360 built.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hello Brian,
Not sure if this helps or adds much, but from the paper work it indicates that many warning lights came on, the first was the battery light. The repair said that there was a short that was identified and the entire harness was replaced. Again it would be hard to know exactly what happened without talking to the owner at the time. It seems however that this could potentially happen to any 360 and not just this one. I was just curious to know had you ever encountered this problem and if so was it a recurrent problem to that specific vehicle. I appreciate your time.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry to say but from your description we really don't know what was wrong and only a sketchy description of the fix. Not uncommon. Many shops, service writers etc feel feel the more vague the better.

I really hate taking part in guess work so I refrain from doing it. They have had a reputation of damaging the alternator harness but not from shorts per se. The description does not surprise me, most service writers and many professional mechanics have as much knowledge of electricity as I have practicle knowledge of walking on the moon.

The almost constantly compromised batteries generally require the alternators to work at or near maximum at far higher duty cycles than they were ever designed to often causing the cable and rectifier damage.

Cars that are daily driven almost never have those issues.

As to the grounding issues and gremlins. As long as those cars had an aluminum structure and poor quality, small, high output Japanese alternators with fragile, overloaded rectifiers and almost constantly compromised batteries they had gremlins.

I just described every 360 built.
^^this. 100%.
I've lost track of the amount of damaged harnesses I've seen at the alternator end, specifically on cars that do very low mileages/are jump started then driven in an attempt to charge the battery, or are used with a dying battery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode