PPI in Ohio - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
PPI in Ohio

Guys,

F430 that interests me in small town in Ohio which I'm being told is 1 hour from Pittsburgh, PA. any recommendations of someone or some shop for PPI? Private seller who does not seem to know much about his car. I asked whether the original exhaust headers were still on there and he did not know. If i am correct from reading the thread about the cracking header risk, Ferrari came out with a stronger replacement. I didnt even ask whether he installed the Capristo brackets. He supposedly has never even seen what the car looks like from the bottom when up a lift. Really? I want to see if the car was drivevn on gravel roads or doing Dukes of Hazard jumps!..well, not sure if you can tell from looking at bottom of car for that.

Foreign cars Italia is 6 hours away. Seller mentioned Midwest Auto Group (MAG) in Dublin, Ohio was 1 hour away. anyone use either outfit? not sure i want to spend 1500 for transport fees to get the car to Foreign Cars Italia for a PPI.

Would you value the PPI done in May of this year for the seller when he bought the car? to me it doesnt mean much because for all i know, the seller could have beat the life out of the car (he thought the F430 redlines at 9000 RPM).

Cheng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
Guys,

F430 that interests me in small town in Ohio which I'm being told is 1 hour from Pittsburgh, PA. any recommendations of someone or some shop for PPI? Private seller who does not seem to know much about his car. I asked whether the original exhaust headers were still on there and he did not know. If i am correct from reading the thread about the cracking header risk, Ferrari came out with a stronger replacement. I didnt even ask whether he installed the Capristo brackets. He supposedly has never even seen what the car looks like from the bottom when up a lift. Really? I want to see if the car was drivevn on gravel roads or doing Dukes of Hazard jumps!..well, not sure if you can tell from looking at bottom of car for that.

Foreign cars Italia is 6 hours away. Seller mentioned Midwest Auto Group (MAG) in Dublin, Ohio was 1 hour away. anyone use either outfit? not sure i want to spend 1500 for transport fees to get the car to Foreign Cars Italia for a PPI.

Would you value the PPI done in May of this year for the seller when he bought the car? to me it doesnt mean much because for all i know, the seller could have beat the life out of the car (he thought the F430 redlines at 9000 RPM).

Cheng
I'm from Ohio. MAG in Columbus is our only Ferrari dealer. However, there are many independent Ferrari shops in Ohio. A quick call to Jack Babbitt might be in order because he knows the service (has his own shop) and the market in Ohio:
NJB Automotive

I do not know Jack, nor do I have any interest in his shop or this deal.

Also, I would not value a PPI from May. Why the hell is he selling the car after 6-7 months? Dude, there seem to be some red flags here, don't ignore them. You know well enough that the PPI is to cover your own @ss, and I wouldn't rely on old data for that. Good luck.

Edit: If the seller is that clueless about the car, are you really sure you want to buy it? I'm asking this because I have gotten a feel for your interest in the F-car, and it might not match up with the history of the car you're considering. Don't rush to pull the trigger on a long-distance PPI if you're on the fence about the car. It will just end up revealing things you'll be unhappy with, and you'll be a couple hundred bucks poorer. Just my opinion.

Last edited by IDriveM5; 12-05-2012 at 09:14 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
Raj- Most Ferrari owners are clueless about their cars. People who use these forums are the exception rather than the rule. Most car owners are clueless about their cars. Refrigerators on wheels, and Ferraris are just expensive refrigerators to many people.

Take your Mercedes to the dealer and be able to talk intelligently about servicing the car and you get a surprised look. Actually know what a cam variator is and watch dropped jaws.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Yea, most guys that have the money to spend on a Ferrari aren't working grunt jobs in a repair shop. Many don't even know what the buttons on the dashboard all do.

You may want to check out Exoticars in Wexford, PA. I believe they're the only thing close.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Many don't even know what the buttons on the dashboard all do.
The previous owner of my Spider did not know how to open the engine bay.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
The previous owner of my Spider did not know how to open the engine bay.
These kinds of responses make me sad. I wish that folks would take an interest in these incredible cars when they own them.

Then again, my uncle has a new Ghost, an Arnage, and a Flying Spur. When asked, he can barely tell them apart. To him, they're "tin cans" - his words, not mine. I guess, when you have SO MUCH money, you have other, more important, uses for your brain.... He also had a 355, bought USED when he took his first company public.
But, like me, he's an ENGINEER!!! Or, he was before his net worth was measured relative to Billions.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDriveM5 View Post
I wish that folks would take an interest in these incredible cars when they own them.
Oh, he had an interest, and he enjoyed it, just differently than you and I.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode