Keys and fobs. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Keys and fobs.

Guys whats the difference? I asked the seller how many keys come with the '02 360 i am about to buy. Seller said 3 keys and the fobs are built into keys. Sounds like fob is a remote? Any owners with ptrs or links o i know what i should be getting? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
360s should have two keys and three separate fobs, 1 red and 2 black.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Cheng, if the red/tan you're negotiating has 2black&1red you're all good. If you work a better deal 1black & 1red is not uncommon for a well seasoned 360. We're you at in having it in your garage?

post #4 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

What is an fob? Why red vs black? Im going to wait for ppi result then ask for specifics on keys. Sellers answer was "3 keys" and fobs are built into keys. This doesnt sound right unless im missing something. Its the least of my concerns though.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Owner

Search the forum and 360 owner's manual on the topic. Make sure you have 1red/1black that function.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

garage...

Blu,

waiting on PPI to occur tomrw of Tues. If nothing major, i'll be flying out to test drive and write a big check. in the garage in a couple weeks at earliest depending on flights and transport trucks.

Cheng
post #7 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Cheng- Only F430s, 612s and later cars have keys with built in remotes. Seller is wrong or you misunderstood him. Go to ferraridatabase.com and download a 360 owners manual and read it. You need to learn about the car you are pursuing.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Terry

Can u post a direct link?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Owner

Download from here; All Ferraris
post #10 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

got it!

Thanks Blu. I got it.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
When I got my 360 it had only one key and one fob. I knew that as long as the 4 digit code is available, one can get replacement fobs. I used that fact to leverage a better price on the car.

The local Ferrari dealer charged me $450 for new fobs and an additional $70 to program the car when they arrived from Italy. I had to order a set of three fobs and received a new 4 digit code. If you do not know the 4-digit code for your car, be prepared to spend much more than the cost of new fobs. As I had that original code, the reprogramming of the car went without any problem.

The fobs that arrived from Ferrari were all black, but have labels indicating one is the "master" and two are "slaves". The dealer assures me that is fine.

Keys are a rip off. If you absolutely think you need a genuine prancing horse key, you have to be prepared to bend over. Only available from Ferrari for a mere $200 each or so. I got some blank keys with rubber coated ends for $3.50 each and had my local locksmith cut them for $2 each using the original key I got with the car as a master.

Steve

Last edited by bisel; 12-23-2012 at 04:59 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Hi steve,
same story for my 550 i had only key and fob and i not had a code, last month i went to my local ferrari dealer for new fobs, the dealer ask to ferrari the original pin code of my car ( 250 euros) and two new fobs (700 euros).
Unfortunately the pin code was incorrect, we think that the seller where i bought the car had changed ecu and fobs and not tell me about this !!!! crazy!
At this point i had to buy a kit with new alarm unit, 3 fobs and new pin code (1450 euros), and a software technician (friend of ferrari dealer) has reset the pin code on engine bosch motronic in order to insert the new pin code.
In opposite case i need a new motronic !! crazy !
At the end i spent 2500 euros, considering the time lost to find out that the pin code was changed !!!!....
The fobs are all black, but have labels indicating one is the "master" and two are "slaves". The dealer assures me that is fine because now ferrari not provide the red fob.
Steve you are gone better then me ......

Fabio
post #13 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Hi guys,

As a newbie here, I'm keen to know the answer to what the difference is between a key and a fib and red Vs black. As no-one has answered it, I'll read the owner's manual.

My question though, is why have a forum at all; why not just have a link to the owner's manuals? OK, I'm being a bit simplistic here, but I seem to sense a reluctance to give novices a quick answer. I could be totally wrong but surely someone know the difference between a key and a fob and could say.

Apologies, as this is only my second post here and don't want to rock the boat. But I've seen this happen on other forums (non-car related) where it's expected that newbies search and read before posting Qs. Sometimes a newbie wants either a quick answer or a bit of dialogue and to make new virtual friends.

I'm prepared to be flamed but just putting it out there.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Most of these questions have been asked dozens of times in the past and a simple search shows the answers. I have posted the document I am attaching here probably 20-30 times. I wrote it so most questions about fobs would be answered without having to repeat myself ad infinitum.

So when someone comes on the site and says I want to buy a 360, please tell me everything I need to know about the car, not much response. If someone does some homework, researches the huge investment they want to make, and then asks questions, they get a pretty good response.

So to answer this post specifically, that question on fobs has been answered multiple times, the forum is for exchanging information and helping owners and would be owners answer specific questions, and providing sources for information, parts and service. Plus social interactions that sometimes have little to do with cars.

So read the attached document and then ask specific questions on fobs if you have any.

We do not promise instant gratification here. We have young teenagers here who fit in perfectly with old farts like myself. They ask questions, learn from the answers, and prepare themselves for their first Ferrari. Plus they bring a fresh viewpoint to the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Programming Alarm ECUs with New Fobs.doc (2.04 MB, 131 views)

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #15 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM

Hi Taz. That is a great document. Thanks for that.

Thanks also for the response. Glad you didn't kill me for opening my big mouth! I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. I'm sure as a newbie I'll read more then ask.

Cheers!
post #16 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Owner

Just an FYI. First, Taz is one of the best technical resources on the forum and I thank him for the great info he has posted. I bought my first Ferrari a few months ago and this forum has been a great place to broaden my knowledge.

Now, some update on fobs. My car had only one key and one black fob when I got it. I went to to the local dealer and ordered a new set of fobs that cost me $450 plus $70 to have them program the car. With the new fobs, I received a new four digit code for the alarm and ECU and Ferrari no longer provides red fobs. So I now have two black fobs with a label indicating they are slave fobs and one black fob with a label indicating it is the master. I have placed the master in a safe place and do not use it.

Steve
post #17 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Steve- After initial programming, there is no difference between a red (master) fob and a black (slave) fob. The Alarm ECU only uses the ID in each fob and its rolling code after initial programming. The master fob cannot be used again once its PIN is memorized by the Alarm ECU. So feel free to use the master, because there is nothing it can do for you in the future except disarm the alarm and immobilizer.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Owner

Taz, that is good to know. Makes you wonder what the big deal was about red and black fobs. When I got my new fobs I asked the ferrari dealer what the difference was and he said there really wasn't any after the car was programmed. He didn't elaborate and I did not pursue. Your explanation is very helpful.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Steve- After initial programming, there is no difference between a red (master) fob and a black (slave) fob. The Alarm ECU only uses the ID in each fob and its rolling code after initial programming. The master fob cannot be used again once its PIN is memorized by the Alarm ECU. So feel free to use the master, because there is nothing it can do for you in the future except disarm the alarm and immobilizer.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks Taz!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode