Buy without seeing: Poll - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Buy without seeing: Poll

How many of you have bought an F car without seeing or touching or driving it? Odds are i will not do this for my first car BUT...it is on the back of my mind. I would be hiring a reputable person to do the PPI to give me the low-down. He would do a compression test and everything that Ferrari asks him to do on a Ferrari used car certification, a paint analysis (no extra charge but not usually done), test drive. Well, given this, who would send a big check and wait for the car to show up?

Cheng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Guilty

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,847
Me, too. Still happy with her.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
How many of you have bought an F car without seeing or touching or driving it? Odds are i will not do this for my first car BUT...it is on the back of my mind. I would be hiring a reputable person to do the PPI to give me the low-down. He would do a compression test and everything that Ferrari asks him to do on a Ferrari used car certification, a paint analysis (no extra charge but not usually done), test drive. Well, given this, who would send a big check and wait for the car to show up?

Cheng
I enjoyed buidling what became lasting relationships and additional lessons learned throughout our buying process, so I would vote not to miss the experience. Suggest setting a P&S with deposit and right to inspect, perform inspection at an independant shop, then hold the final check with contingency for an in-person drive & final inspection while still at the independant shop. If you're lucky and can afford the time - drive her home

Good luck!
post #5 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Done it numerous times including both Ferrari's - my time has value although many would disagree.

Plus the fact I can't stand dealership salespeople and how they negotiate / operate.

I have minimal patience when buying so expecting the best but prepared for the worst is something I have adjusted in negotiating the best price for a very fast and clean transaction.

Too many people buy a used Ferrari thinking if it checks out no worries.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #6 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Guilty
Guilty too.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Hi guys,

How about buying in spite of seeing?

Best regards,

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
post #8 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
3 0f my last 4 cars were sight unseen.
post #9 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Hi guys,

Best regards,
A luxury I don't have - then again everyone eventually has a midlife crisis of some sort
post #10 of 48 Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Bought the Testarossa sight unseen.
post #11 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
Guilty, due to distance and time frame(Ebay; Toronto with 5 days to go no reserve)

Fortune smiled on me this occasion, but would not do it again.
post #12 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
My first F Car will likely be bought sight-unseen, after the PPI checks out. I guess there is a slight possibility I MIGHT see it before I buy it, if it is geographically convenient for me. Otherwise, I'm hopeful I can find one within a reasonable distance that I'll be able to DRIVE home, instead of shipping it here on a closed truck.

Heck, I bought my M5 without even a test drive. Had seen one (only 1) in the flesh before I bought my own, and it's a good thing I saw it because the color was spectacular, and changed my mind about the paint I was going to choose! That was different though because it was a new car, custom ordered for me from BMW.
That was back in the 2006-days when M5's never really sat on dealer lots (at least not here in Ohio). Now, I can head 45 minutes South to Cincinnati, where they have three (3!!) sitting on the showroom floor. The good old allocation-scheme.
post #13 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
Guilty... and I did not even do a PPI !

I did speak to the mechanic who had been maintaining the car but since the owner had only owned the car 2 months, he did not have a lot to say about it. I then flew out and drove my 360 home but it was a done deal by the time I flew out to pick it up. That was a little scary, driving across the desert on a 500 mile drive in a car that I had never seen before I turned the key to drive it home. Made it home just fine, only overheated once. Would I do it again, YES !!!
post #14 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Hi guys,

Best regards,

LOL. Having read your story and [parent's support regardless ] you sir might take the cake on the Ferrari bug .... makes me still want to get that certain 250 GTE in-a-box and 'go for it'....but I'm quite certain at this age and finances it would be a game ender .. don't know why I still keep looking though.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Note I also did mine without a PPI, but would probably not do so again. All four of my Ferraris were bought the same way. For the Dino I flew to Poughkeepsie, NY, picked up the car and drove it home to Clovis, NM, 1800 miles away. No problems. The Daytona was picked up in Houston, TX and driven home to Clovis, ~750 miles. No problems. The 308 was picked up in Germany and driven back to Bury St Edmunds in England. No problems.

Guess I learned because the 575 was shipped from Boardwalk to Albuquerque, NM and the 08 Z06 trade-in was shipped to Boardwalk in Dallas.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #16 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Owner

Great set of buying experiences - a lucky man!

If I were to buy sight unseen with only photos; Boardwalk would be it without hesitation. I visited more dealerships than I should list during our search and IMO Boardwalk in Plano stands above them all. The region offers open drives, great showroom, garage levels of consignment cars increasing on-site selection, large service area, very approachable service & parts department, partnering Lambo dealership not to far away with alternative selections (and more Ferrari's), even the merchandise area steps it up another notch. While it's never a good idea to PPI under the same roof, this is a location I would have a naive comfort in doing so because of the relationship you can establish with a single visit. And Taz you may have missed out on the best if there can be more . . . and there is, Lindsey (oh my).
post #17 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Owner

I guess I should qualify my purchases a bit.

- FIRST: I did no PPI, saw the item and wanted it. Didn't even drive it. However, is was sold by Ferrari of San Francisco and although on consignment, it was guaranteed to be 'good to go'. Have to remember, that before Boardwalk purchased that dealership it was the ONLY Ferrari owned dealership in the world and they had a huge stake in their product. Thanks Brad Goldstone for that deal.

SECOND: Drove it but only after flying down to San Diego to go over it and drive it. NO PPI, but would have liked to do such. 'dealer' had a rep as being fair, honest, and representing his products at the correct market price. finalized the puchase and drove it back to Sonoma. On trip back had an issue with leaking window, trunk [rained heavy on way back] and alternating flipping headlights due to a falty relay in fuse box, which was an easy fix. Went well for about a year ... THEN, ahem, it starting costing.

Would strongly agree a PPI is in order, regardless of the seller, but some are just better from the start. IF one gets the feeling it isn't going well or flags even hint of going up a pole: Insist on a PPI and be ready to walk away.

HUGE advice. albeit, one wouldn't know from our responses of 'seasoned buyers' lol

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I guess I should qualify my purchases a bit.

- FIRST: I did no PPI, saw the item and wanted it. Didn't even drive it. However, is was sold by Ferrari of San Francisco and although on consignment, it was guaranteed to be 'good to go'. Have to remember, that before Boardwalk purchased that dealership it was the ONLY Ferrari owned dealership in the world and they had a huge stake in their product. Thanks Brad Goldstone for that deal.

SECOND: Drove it but only after flying down to San Diego to go over it and drive it. NO PPI, but would have liked to do such. 'dealer' had a rep as being fair, honest, and representing his products at the correct market price. finalized the puchase and drove it back to Sonoma. On trip back had an issue with leaking window, trunk [rained heavy on way back] and alternating flipping headlights due to a falty relay in fuse box, which was an easy fix. Went well for about a year ... THEN, ahem, it starting costing.

Would strongly agree a PPI is in order, regardless of the seller, but some are just better from the start. IF one gets the feeling it isn't going well or flags even hint of going up a pole: Insist on a PPI and be ready to walk away.

HUGE advice. albeit, one wouldn't know from our responses of 'seasoned buyers' lol
Seasoned means we had to learn from experience - all seems good for us - it is part of the memory for sure. Thanks to forums like FL I myself listened to the advice before the first P&S and was ready to walk away if necessary - not sure I could have done it on the spot if I hadn't prepared for it, unfortunately (only unfortunate because I burned 2 PPI's during the process, yes they were really that poorly listed) I am one of the positive stories in what a trusted, pre-purchase PPI brings. Always better to know what you're getting into so to make as much an educated decision as an exotic car purchase can bring.
post #19 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Blu- I bought my 575 from a nice lady who no longer works there. She actually sent me a new set of three fobs and PIN for free after I bought the car. Probably helped by the fact I sent her and the finance lady flowers after the deal was done

Lindsay is eye candy, eh?

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #20 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Blu- I bought my 575 from a nice lady who no longer works there. She actually sent me a new set of three fobs and PIN for free after I bought the car. Probably helped by the fact I sent her and the finance lady flowers after the deal was done

Lindsay is eye candy, eh?
Ah-yup, knows her product too. A great sales experience second to none.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode