Ferrari storage - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Ferrari storage

I live in MN where the winters can hit sub zero. Would my 360 be okay thru winter or should i send her away to storage facility. I think i would miss her too much. Anyone have a non heated garage that can chime in? I plan to run the engine couple times a week but is that enough to keep the car functioning til i drive it in spring? Please tell me the F car is tough enough for MN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
I live in MN where the winters can hit sub zero. Would my 360 be okay thru winter or should i send her away to storage facility. I think i would miss her too much. Anyone have a non heated garage that can chime in? I plan to run the engine couple times a week but is that enough to keep the car functioning til i drive it in spring? Please tell me the F car is tough enough for MN.
Your car will be fine in an unheated garage. Just take proper precautions to "winterize" her for storage, and you'll be in good shape. There are many threads on what to do for this process, it's relatively simple.

Also, I'm willing to wager that there are many threads on the "starting and running" versus "not starting at all" action during the storage period. Personally, I do NOT (and have never) started any cars or let them run during the storage period. Never had any problems. Once they're put away, they don't get started again until they're ready for their first drive after being "summer-ized."

People will chime in to discuss the opposite. After you have read the research, make your own decision. But, I think you should keep her home rather than sending her away. The risks of having her OUT of your control would, in my opinion, outweigh the risks of leaving her in an unheated garage.

I guess I should say I've sent cars away for winter storage before.....
To my parents' garage where the space is larger and more readily available! They don't charge me rent or the cost of the electricity to keep the battery tenders on!
post #3 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
it's just a car. freezing temps won't hurt it. sun, rain, salt, now that will hurt it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 212
forgot one...

condensation within the garage... depending on the amount of moisture in the garage, condensation can happen during a winter thaw, causing everything within the garage to become wet, not a big deal if the car can be dried out and garage ventilated promptly, left unattended it can wreak havoc on the interior...
post #5 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

whew!

Thats what i needed to hear fellas! I did some research on garage heaters and they are not bad at all. I think the increase in heating bills will be better than paying for rent at one of these high end garages with no in and out privileges during storage.

Cheng
post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Quote:
Thats what i needed to hear fellas! I did some research on garage heaters and they are not bad at all. I think the increase in heating bills will be better than paying for rent at one of these high end garages with no in and out privileges during storage.

Cheng
Another opinion, save $$ on both and just buy a quality battery tender, inflate the tires by a few PSI, set wheel chocks around rear tires, keep her in neutral without emergency break on (roll her between the chocks weekly), buy a breathable indoor cover, treat the gas, detail exterior, condition leather and wait until spring. I'd avoid starting if you have any rodent concerns (who doesn't in the northern winter months??). The engine stays warm for a long time and anyone looking to get out of the heat will find it a nice place to settle for the winter.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

good ideas blu.

definitely good options. i'mrunning into concerns about services needed by the 360 i'm interested in. they want top dollar but i fear possible issues with drive train ... clutch wear...

cheng
post #8 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
definitely good options. i'mrunning into concerns about services needed by the 360 i'm interested in. they want top dollar but i fear possible issues with drive train ... clutch wear...

cheng

Where are you with regards to the PPI? Has it been conducted yet? Will it be conducted soon? Let us know.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Dont buy a garage heater, warm air holds more moisture, you need a dehumidifier, one that is desiccant or compressor type that has a hot gas defrost like the Mitsubishi MJE16V or VX. Cheap compressor ones withh this will freeze up.

They are surely avaialable in the US and should also come with an auto drain and monitoring which means they are only on when they need to work, Cut out drafts into the garage and running costs will be minimal.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
I don't have a Ferrari yet but I do heat my garage but only keep it at 50 F and it cost almost nothing to do that :-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode