test drive a 360 manual - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
test drive a 360 manual

Silly question perhaps but are there any tricks/secrets to driving the manual transmission on a 360? I consider myself a decent manual driver until i saw a few videos on youtube. People were commenting okay..ripping..on a guy who posted his how to drive a 360 manual video. Terms that came across were, "double clutching"...on down shifts he revs the rpms to a certain point then puts the car in gear. upshifting seemed like on any other car. People are not nice on you tube. i doubt i would ever post anything there.

A friend of mine was trying to decide between a porche 911 turbo and the 360. both in manual trannnies and he said, "Cheng...i went with the porsche because it was easier to drive...not to mention tires were cheaper and had lots more torque..." not sure about the tires thing but really??? is the 360 that hard to drive? i never thought about it and assumed i could hop in and test drive. I'd hate to break someones car and "you break it you buy it" comes out of the sellers mouth. So someone please tell me that it is not quite that easy to ruin this transmission.
i also don't want to embarrass myself during test driving my future car.

Cheng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,129
The 360 is not a hard car to drive. Only advice would be on changing gear, it is a very light fly wheel so the revs drop quickly would you engage the clutch, Just be fast and smooth and you should not have any issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
Cheng,

Until I drove the 458 a couple months ago, our Spider was the best (smooth, quick, easy) car I'd ever driven.

Don't spend another moment worried about driving a 360. Trusy me, you'll love it.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Cheng- Double clutching was necessary in the olden days before transmissions had synchronizers. The purpose was to match the rotating speeds of the gears in the transmissions so you did not get a graunch on shifts. On a downshift, the transmission was shifted to neutral, the accelerator depressed to raise revs and match gear speeds, and then the shift was made to the lower gear. The 360 has double or triple synchronizers on each gear, and double clutching is largely superfluous.

With the light flywheel on the 360 engine, like Boxer said, the trick is not to let the revs drop too much on upshifts. This can be done by shifting quickly or not letting off on the accelerator pedal as much as you do on other cars with heavier flywheels. On downshifts, it is pretty much like any other car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Cheng,

Until I drove the 458 a couple months ago, our Spider was the best (smooth, quick, easy) car I'd ever driven.

Don't spend another moment worried about driving a 360. Trusy me, you'll love it.
+1
Having 'short' roads as we do in London if I am going to almost redline the 360 in first I will skip second and straight in to third on the upshift.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
Got it. i will just shift quickly then.

TAZ, someone once told me that i'm not supposed to keep gas pedal depressed when engaging clutch as this will "burn" my clutch and prematurely need to replace it. True or not? How do you shift?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Cheng- I never let off on the gas pedal completely when upshifting because if you do, the revs fall too far and there is a mismatch between car speed and clutch/transmission speed. You will get a big jerk when you let out the clutch if you do that. The idea is to match the difference in the ratios between the gears when you shift up or down. Drop revs for an upshift and raise revs for a downshift. If you do not, the clutch and drivetrain make up the difference with a lurch.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode