too good to be true 360? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
too good to be true 360?

guys look at this deal:

Used 2001 Ferrari 360 Modena For Sale in Southampton NY | PU076T

any one know this car?

in my price range and super low miles. i have read so many threads warning about these too good to be true deals but gosh....really gotta make ya wonder. If only i lived within 500 miles...oh well, i can pass on it by saying that its the wrong color.

Cheng
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Seems like its priced correctly.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Agree, price is about right for a nice Modena and yellow is actually my favorite color for the 360 (and most Ferraris). Could do without the yellow piping, but could surely live with it.

Do not limit yourself to cars within a certain radius of your home or you will have a much smaller pool from which to choose. I doubt an Audi dealer would try and move a Ferrari unless it was a really nice one. Otherwise, they just wholesale them.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Yellow manual 360 Modena in what looks like good nik. Go on treat yourself, and post the pic's

Cheers
Michael
post #5 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Cheng, if red is what you're waiting for in a 3-pedal take Taz's advise and travel when the right car comes available. This car looks real promising and a trusted inspection before the weather impacts a safe test drive is a good idea, don't wait, start the process. The color is amazing if you haven't seen one and I had one of the 360's we considered inspected in Nj which proved the value/benefit in a trust PPI. Let me know if you need to inspect it for a referral. It is priced appropriate assuming some work is needed.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Ppi

guys,

I thought it was underpriced for the miles! but ya'll think it's priced fairly though eh? Well, upon emailing the dealer to see how much service records they have access to, they simply responded that "service gets done when it's required." huh? that turned me off.

Blu,

Do you negotiate the sales price b4 the PPI or after or a combo of both? The 360 that has everything i want is priced higher than what i want to spend: 85K vs 80K my absolute max. Would i be okay offering 80K contingent upon PPI and put money down to show i am serious? Then if PPI shows issues, we negotiate price up or down or i leave with my ernest money back if there are too many issues.

Do you know of anyone who can do a good PPI on a 2002 360 in Bridgeport,CT area? man, i wish i knew someone who lved near that can just take a peak and give me an opinion...to fly out or not to fly out....

Cheng
***ya know guys, any of you open to a conversation on the phone??? just curious...this is a big step for me. thanks again.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 479
Full disclosure - Central NJ saved my @$&# with a PPI being out of state for what was listed as a perfect vehicle by an independant seller. Let me know if you want the contact and technician name - both matter when getting a valued PPI. One could write a book on the amazing experience in purchasing a used Ferrari but I'll save that for another time.
NO a dealership won't repair what they're not forced to repair to sell a vehicle, hence an independent inspection is essential if you have a budget and cannot absorb a surprise or two or three . . . after taking delivery. Dude, the other car you posted is more common but looks great, real great. What is their reserve? I'm thinking 83k?
post #8 of 25 Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

blu...

blu,

they wanted 95K. After some discussion on phone, they are willing to listen to serious offers. Hence, I'm preparing. If you don't mind looking at the other car again, the red one in connecticut, there is a ptr showing the driver side rear quarter window seal. It looks to me like that seal at the 3 o clock position is twisted or something. it does not look right. that same picture shows some distortions between 11 and 1 o clock in the paint. this could be water (they took pictures while wet?) i suppose or poor reflections? not sure but yes, PPI for sure. would you do the PPI b4 flying out to check the car or after or during? i figure i could save some $ if i don't fly out unless the PPI is good.

Cheng
post #9 of 25 Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

sold

Just got an email from the sales person of this yellow 360. It's no longer up for sale as someone put money down on it. I was going to think about it over the weekend and call them on monday to learn more about the car. Oh well..we keep shopping.

Blu, i bidded again on the Red one in CT. seems i can't just walk away. reminds me of an old girlfriend that dumped me and i couldn;t stay away. seriously though, i factored in some $$$ for repairs and put in an ebay bid to reflect that vs their asking price. C'mon they should really disclose the major findings in their ad! what if someone buys it and dies from not detecting and making the repairs? scary.
BTW if you don't know the saga, I paid for a PPI on the red one being discussed above and found a couple of shortcomings which scared me into backing out.

Cheng
post #10 of 25 Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
If you look at the Buy/Sell section of the forum, there is a Red one listed for. $30k, it must be a mistake. I've emailed the seller and he's not yet replied
post #11 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

F1

Dave

I never bothered to email as it's either a big mistake, scam or has major problems. I'm in the mkt for a 6 sp manual which a gentleman also has on the buy sell here too. The miles are just a tad more than i wanted and no scuderia shields. I'd be okay with the higher miles actually but the shields are impt to me as it makes the car look nicer. I know there are magnets one can buy but it's just not quite the same in my book.

Cheng
post #12 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post
the shields are impt to me as it makes the car look nicer. I know there are magnets one can buy but it's just not quite the same in my book.

Cheng
Chang
Have a look here re. Shields... Not as good as the originals, but v close...
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/dr...a-ferrari.html

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #13 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

shields

I was aware of most on that post. Hence, i prefer oem shields. Just a thought but i would figure if one needed body work on that fender some day, it could be a pain!

Cheng
post #14 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Cheng- Actually, the Yoshi shields are quite easy to remove using dental floss, cause no damage to the paint, and cannot be told from the originals from more than 10' or so away. Putting OEM shields on a car that did not have them is a four figure job.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Putting OEM shields on a car that did not have them is a four figure job.
Taz, Cheng,

I got a quote when we were shopping for our Spider - $8000.
That was to indent the fenders, repaint to match, and install genuine factory shields.
This was from an shop in Los Angeles (I belive one of a few Ferrari-authorized body shops.)

I don't recall their name, but one could find it in one of my posts on shields.

I agree, Yoshi's are the way to go for aftermarket.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
Not sure why the importance you have on records, sure they show that the car was maintained but come on, with only 8,000 miles on the car, its brand new, what kind of maintenance needed to be done ? Absolutely make sure every thing is up to date on it, but I see nothing wrong with buying a 8,000 mile 360 with no records and making sure everything is up to date with fresh belts, annual, etc. With only 8,000 miles I would even check the tires and if they are original, throw them away, they are too old now.

Now if the car has more miles, like my 360 did (52,000 miles) when I purchased it, then records are a little more important to show maintenance was done but again I was more worried about what was recent then what was done a long time ago.

As to the car being sold, some cars will stay on the market for a long time, others are priced right and you have to pounce. My car was on the market 3 days before I bought it and I talked to the owner on the second day before getting the nerve to pull the trigger and buy without a PPI and then flying out to drive it home. No I don't recommend no PPI to everyone, its what I did but not what I recommend.

My one and rule for my car was NOT Red, I would have loved a Yellow one but a Grigio Alloy one was the first one to pop up

oh, one more thing I agree with Yoshields, my car came with some crappy looking aftermarket shields, the Yoshields are AWESOME and look much better but he is not in business anymore so only used Yoshields available now (glad I got mine when I did).
post #17 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

mikeyr

Mike,

records were/are important to me just to simply show that maintenance was done to the car on a regular basis. I totally agree on a low mile car it may not be as important. However, i just fear the garage queen that never got attention and was neglected. I'd settle for her still if maintenance was performed every year. I was a little slow pulling the trigger on this yellow one for sure. totally nice price for the miles if the car checks out with PPI.

I sure would prefer to travel somewhere warm to look at my first possible F car. anyone of you guys see one, better PM me so i don't miss it!

SOOOooo Red/tan...around 20K miles or less and 6 sp manual. OEM scuds a bonus but not req'd.

Cheng
post #18 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Cheng- There are two types of Scuderia/16M wheels. One made for F430s with 7.5Jx19 front wheels and one with 8Jx19 front wheels that were OEM on the Scud/16M. Not sure if there is much difference in price used or new, but the 8Jx19 fronts will cut down on understeer.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #19 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Cheng- There are two types of Scuderia/16M wheels. One made for F430s with 7.5Jx19 front wheels and one with 8Jx19 front wheels that were OEM on the Scud/16M. Not sure if there is much difference in price used or new, but the 8Jx19 fronts will cut down on understeer.
Not sure if he meant rims or Scuderia Shields...... ?
post #20 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Raj- Good point since Scuderia wheels are rare on 360s, but shields are not.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode