Ferrari Newbie- 355 Berlinetta 6 speed - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Ferrari Newbie- 355 Berlinetta 6 speed

I have been looking for a "starter" Ferrari for too long. I am a long time Corvette owner, multiple muscle cars in my garage and have wanted to jump into the Ferrari lifestyle. I look at 95-99 355 Berlinetta's and 99-2002 360 Modena with a 6 speed trans.

So I read Ferrari Life questions and answers from everyone else seeking advise.

I am interested in comments on this 355 Berlinetta link below.

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/1591/photos/5291035#00

Has anyone dealt with this dealer, what are the problems associated with this year car? I will definetly get a PPI on whichever car I settle on but thought I would start with the forum and get some experienced advise for a first time buyer. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Looks like a very early Berlinetta and, from the photos, very complete. I see the owners manual pouch, tool kit, and even the car cover bag. This car would have Motronic 2.7, which has proven to be very reliable and does not have the much more complicated burglar alarm system with three fobs that came with the Motronic 5.2 F355s. Interior appears to be in good shape and paint looks good except for normal chips from driving. Bumpers have likely been repainted, but that is normal. My front bumper has all kinds of rock chips.

Nice thing is she appears to be completely stock, with no monkey business inside or out. When you have your PPI done, make sure it includes a leak-down test so you can ensure the dreaded valve guide wear is not a problem. There were good and bad batches of bronze alloy valve guides used in F355 and contemporary 456 heads. Some cars got the good ones and some the bad ones. Replacing the valve guides on an F355 is a five figure job, and one you want to avoid. Make sure the PPI also discovers when the last engine out belt change service was accomplished, too. If that needs to be done soon (~every five years, even though Ferrari recommends every three years), that can be a significant expense in the $5K range. Check the date codes on the tires, too. Six years is about as long as you want to go on tires, and many recommend shorter periods on high performance cars.

Good luck and she looks pretty nice. Go to ferrardatabase.com and you can download owners manuals and the workshop manuals.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

355 Berlinetta

Thanks for the advise and the details. I really appreciate your comments on the engine,tires, interior and what to look for in the PPI. I look forward to Ferrari life.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have you taken a look at the F355 Buyers Guide?

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

355 Buyers Guide

Yes I have looked at the guide. I also like to hear first hand knowledge from owner's like you that help one like myself understand some of the nuances of a car like the 355. Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgpnaples View Post
Yes I have looked at the guide. I also like to hear first hand knowledge from owner's like you that help one like myself understand some of the nuances of a car like the 355. Thanks.
On the plus side, F355 handles like it is on rails, engine likes to be revved and sounds great, one of the prettiest modern Ferraris. On the negative, cats and manifolds will go at some point, steering is very light, and rubber switches will go sticky.

It does have decent luggage space and seat are very comfortable for long drives.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
If you buy this car, make sure they deliver it with the fuel block recall work completed. From the pictures of the engine bay, I can tell you that the recall work has not been done. It's a very serious issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode