Beautiful Ferrari 308gt4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Beautiful Ferrari 308gt4

Hi everybody,

As said in my introduction I am looking for a gt4 and I already went to see a couple in nice condition.
In particular I am evaluting one in mint condition, perfect with just 14k km (engine has been rebuilt probably).
I saw and tried it twi times and during the second visit I noticed two things that worries me a bit:

- the left exhaust show some white smoke at rev and when not accelerating. Only the left, not the right. And I am almost sure that during my first visit this problem was absent. Do you think can be an expensive issue to be fixed?

- the oil pressure manometer goes to zero when not accelerating but jump near 6 during accelleration. I don't think this is normal and somebody on forums suggests is the sender. It would be expensive to fix it?

Thanks to everybody to help me understandsting whether can be worthwhile to buy this car and fix it.

All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 196
A pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a shop truly knowledgeable about the GT4 is going to be your absolute best move. That probably means an independent with some older, experienced Ferrari mechanics. For a few hundred $s, they'll find things you never thought of and give you accurate repair costs. It will be a great way to start a relationship.
Where are you located?
There are bound to be folks on this forum that can recommend the perfect shop for a GT4.

Dan
Current: Scuderia
Past: 330GTC, 512TR
Quantum Mechanic, Quarks repaired, Black Holes refilled.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I am in Milan. If anybody is able to give me the right contact for a ppi I would be happy to do it immediately.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Sorry for the double post.
Nobody has any other kind of hint or suggestion? Tomorrow I am going to talk with the old school mechanic that took care of the car during the last two years. Maybe is not third part but it could be in its own interest (in case I would ask him to do the hob) to give me a honest opinion about.
Let's see.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Owner

It seems none of our other folks know of a good GT4 shop in Milan. I think you're correct that the mechanic is motivated to be honest with you since you will likely be his new customer.

Dan
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Just talked with the mehanic who told me that the present owner is like a "maniac" in the good meaning, take great care at the car and the engine is perfect. According to him the smoke is caused by a little use. Those are cars that need to be driven, not just 50km or so per month.

So I think I found my gt4... Soon pics will be posted!! :-)
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw4n View Post
Just talked with the mehanic who told me that the present owner is like a "maniac" in the good meaning, take great care at the car and the engine is perfect. According to him the smoke is caused by a little use. Those are cars that need to be driven, not just 50km or so per month.

So I think I found my gt4... Soon pics will be posted!! :-)
Sorry to follow up so late. For a independent PPI you could go to the official Swiss dealer Loris Kessel in Lugano and ask for Aldo, he's the head mechanic there. They have a huge clientele in racing and classics. Lugano is 80 km's from Milan.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you very much 212. Now I did with the old mechanic but I will keep your suggestion as a useful contact also for the future. Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Owner

Congratulations on your GT4.

Dan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode