1986 Ferrari 328 euro w/ supercharger? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
1986 Ferrari 328 euro w/ supercharger?

Hello Guys,

Ferrari : 328 GTS in Ferrari | eBay Motors

anyone here know much about the euro car and addition of the Paxton supercharger? What if the supercharger dies one day and i want it back to stock? is it really as easy as unbolting and your ready to rock and roll? 340 horses sounds quite amazing! and this car supposedly has not had many owners. Please chime in with your thoughts as i am contemplating spending up to 50K on a 328 with 25K miles or less OR 75-80K on a 360 with 25K or less miles. can i anticipate any trouble registering a euro spec car in my state of MN? the original importer had to clear up any issues b4 it could be registered in US right? Were those wheels really an option when this car sold brand new??? or should i be asking if i can have the OEM wheels also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

oops. just re-read ad. 2 sets of wheels!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Personally I would not touch it.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
The owner wrote a great ad; it sounds too good to be true.....so caveat emptor + a very thorough PPI are in order:

1. Check the quality of the respray, but more importantly check for prior wreck damage. A good tech with a high quality DFT gauge should be able to detect paint anomalies & body work.

2. Why was the engine gone through, and was it done well? Don't just accept that it had oil leaks. Get the prior service history and talk to the people who did the rebuild.

3. Compression & leakdown checks would be mandatory. Also check for oil smoke on cold start and under high vacuum (deceleration).

4. Paxton's, like most centrifugal SC's, are noted for their ease and low cost of installation, so nearly any shade tree mechanic/shop can throw one on an engine. I would look carefully at the installation and especially the quality of the piping and the mounting of the supercharger itself. The SC should be well braced in all three planes; if not, it's liable to have alignment or belt throwing problems.

5. Speedline Mistrals are one of the most "knocked off" wheels around. Make sure you're getting the real thing, not Chinese knockoffs which may come apart on you at 100 MPH. There are numerous threads with pics on the Internet on how to tell the real ones from the knockoffs.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
That car has been on and off the market for a long time.

It is grossly overpriced. The market favors stock or nearly stock cars by a wide margin. The market also favors US version cars and generally the later production the better. That is a very early grey market car. For all that he is asking a near top of the market price.

Stay far far away.

The world is full of really great 328's.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Whew! Thx. Twas what i needed to hear. Shopping continues.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode