Your ambitions are full of pitfalls. I urge you to take a LOT of time in your buying process.
Vintage Ferraris are not easy, and quite a lot of first timers have a miserable time. But if you buy wisely, they are wonderful cars that have you sidle up to 250GTO owners for pittance. Well, almost. But you're buying into a very special club, for sure.
Buy this book! Original Ferrari V12, 1965-73: The Guide to Front-engined Road Cars: Amazon.co.uk: Keith Bluemel: Books
1. These cars are much cheaper to buy but closely related to 275GTB, 330GTC, 365 California, and other cars that are MUCH more expensive. Consequently, all costs involved are the same.
2. Buying a car that has needs will be expensive. If I were to do a total body-off restoration with the best in the business, I would expect little change from $200k. An engine rebuild is $30k. I'm assuming here that the work is all done by specialists, if you're a good mechanic you can save some.
3. If your car is mechanically perfect, you can have a couple of seasons of trouble-free motoring. Usually it will take you a little while to get there. I bought the best 330GTC for sale in Europe, but still had to spend around $30k in my first two years to get her right. She has been very cheap the last two seasons.
4. Mechanically good cars that are cosmetically poor are almost non-existant. Buying a 'driver' is therefore not really an option.
5. History file, original toolset, matching numbers and possibly Ferrari certification are all important for resale value in this market.
6. There are a lot of cars out there that have been poorly, or incorrectly, restored. The book will help you identify what things might not be done correctly
7. Become a member of the local F club and go to meetings to meet owners in person and discuss their cars. It will be invaluable. If you make a friend they might help you inspect a possible purchase.
8. Ask questions on FerrariLife and ye shall have answers.
9. Always out a prospective purchase on a bridge and look underneath. If the bottom of the car is well maintained, the rest will be as well.
I hope I didn't put you off by this e-mail, I just want to make sure you have a good perspective of these wonderful cars.
Good luck on your quest!
Onno Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!