Time to get one; Ferrari for daddy - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Time to get one; Ferrari for daddy

Hi Gentlemen, (and Ladies,)

with great appreciation I've been reading the posts in last month. Awesome community! Help is needed.

Just moved to UAE. Garage is empty, money is in the bank. Wife and two kids who are old enough to sit without child seat or booster. Two cars needed, wife is low maintenance and couldn't care less about cars. But I do, so one SUV and Bentley Cont GT or Maser GT would solve the issue, Bentley better, but the only problem is that Bentley...is not a Ferrari. Since a childhood this has been one of the goals, and now is the opportunity and resources. Like you, I love cars, driving and driving fast. And to have the Ferrari in the garage, paid in cash, is a feeling that "I have arrived".

We live in the gated golf course community, with lot of speed bumbs. My DD doesn't exist, or maybe it's a few mins drive to Golf Club, to the mall and back. Like once a week I am having a highway drive for maybe two hours. Radars are everywhere, even with rental Tahoe got three tickets in first 30 days. But still.

It's either this 430 coupe (which makes me think should there be a three car in the family? Any experience of this?) or 612? Also 599 could replace 430 in this consideration, and Cali for 612.

For 612 I think I would be going for pre 2008, like 2006, is it that bad choice with F1? 430 Spider I've driven for few days in the past, loved it but It's not too convenient since I am quite tall. Got the numb left heel on both occasions. But still. Had a Cali for a spin with my kids, they loved it, so did I. Cali seems to have a mixed reviews here, it also might a bit high priced at the moment. But still.

Any comments appreciated, big fever going on. V8. vs V12? Is 612 too boring? I am 37 y.o. partly looking for thrill, partly looking for well deserved luxury and serene life. Feedback of 612 or Cali as a family car. My last was BMW 7series. Especially comments of reason, emotional aspects and practicality would be greatly appreciated, but also comments on depreciation and maintenance very welcomed. Also all the info about UAE/Gulf specs/cars appreciated.

Prices are here 430's (05-06, 15-30k km's) you can have for 65k Euros, 612 (05-06) for 75k Euros, 612 (09, fully loaded 8k km's) for 115 Euros. 599's (07-08) for 85k Euros and 09 Cali for 100k Euros.

Budget is around 80k, to extend it to 100k might cause a conversations at home I don't want to have.

One more thing to mention, I've kept the one rule for ten years and it is that every car I buy I keep for at least three years. So I am not going to have that day trading kind of circus in my garage now or never. I think best bet for me would be buy something at the end of fast depreciation. I guess both 430 and 612 are getting there, what do you think? That's why consideration is key at the moment.

Thank you for the great community!

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Firstly welcome Jake.

If you're looking for a nice weekend car a F430 would be nice, spider in the UAE as well would be good (weathers nice consistently nice?) The 599 would be good for a 2 seater as well, the F430 from what I've read can be a DD but both are different cars.

The F430 price hasn't declined much over the past year: I'm guessing the cheapest models will probably be in the 50K price range, the 599 remains to be seen with the new F12 coming out, you could wait that out 6 months and see if it declines by spring/early summer.

Quote:
partly looking for thrill
fancy some music behind your head go for the F430 - that will give you more than just a thrill :P

I prefer V8 > V12.

Wait out for some opinions of the owners they will have great credible advice for you.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
You need to go drive a 430, 599, 612, and then a 430 Scuderia. Once you have driven all four, you will know which one to buy. All or at or near fully depreciated.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Karakal:

Thx for the advice, I was wondering that with f12 coming up, not sure though if I can wait that long... currently have this feeling that should find the car next week...

Looks like cars and other toys are depreciating quite fast here, especially once new model comes out. UAE seems to be a next level of ego competition. I am more than happy to drive good value "old car" over here, that's my plan.

Boxer:

Thx for the advice, will do that, driving a few tomorrow. Good idea to put Scuderia into the mix, haven't thought about it. Might be a bit over my range here, but will find out.

Have a great day!

Jake
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jake- Considering what your roads are like in the UAE, if you can get a 599 for eu 85K, it sure would be worth stretching a bit for that kind of performance.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
I am biased toward f430 not too much money but a lot of Ferrari.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Looks like cars and other toys are depreciating quite fast here, especially once new model comes out. UAE seems to be a next level of ego competition. I am more than happy to drive good value "old car" over here, that's my plan.
Yeah I get the impression they just want the latest and greatest out there, but there's some on here that are real Ferrari enthusiasts.

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #8 of 8 Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by karakal View Post
Yeah I get the impression they just want the latest and greatest out there, but there's some on here that are real Ferrari enthusiasts.
They just do a favor for the real enthusiasts there with this game.

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode