Passenger air bag - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Passenger air bag

Hi guys, I'm just about to purchase my first ferrari. F430 spider 2005 with 18k miles. It's in very good condition, standard transmission with new clutch 5k ago. Brand new soft top.
The only issue is with the passenger air bag, she was in the Texas sun at one point in her life and the leather on the air bag has warped and bubbled, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this. I am looking for a place that will stretch and restich it but everywhere seems to have liability issues (understandably) a new air bag is $4,000 and I'm hoping to avoid that cost.
The dealership won't fix it and they have made it clear that I am getting no key chains or hugs from them because I talked them down to $115k purchase price. Hopefully this image link works

Thank you much in advance for your kind input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
No image. Some (brave) folks have suggested a remedy for bubbles in the leather involving a hypodermic needle and some suitable glue. They've said that you penetrate the leather at a stich point since it's less noticeable there, and then inject the glue and apply pressure to the outer surface. That's about all I know, sorry.
I presume the model year is a 2005 or 2006, correct? Nice price!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
We normally pull the airbag out and seperate the upholstered panel from the mechanical assembly and have the leather replaced.

Once the assembly is removed from the car there is little or no risk for damage, without electricity.

Trying to save the existing leather is an exercise in futility.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Josh is correct, like always, and removing the airbag is routine and no big deal. The workshop manual covers removal in detail and, once the glovebox is removed, the module is pulled and the connectors disconnected. Once the electrical connectors are removed, the chances of inflation are virtually nil.

If you replace the leather, though, you lose the embossed Airbag. If the old leather can be treated with Leatherique or Zaino, stretched and reglued, it should look like new.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 10-17-2012 at 10:04 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
thank you and @ josh

its a small world Josh, My broker just informed me that you inspected the vehicle yesterday. thank you for your thorough work. Ferrari has agreed to replace both headers for free which is an expensive job, thank you again,
and thank you for all the responses, much appreciated!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Small world indeed! I'm glad the deal is panning out and Ferrari is taking care of the headers. This is a good example for others as to the value in a PPI. Enjoy your F430!

post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
WB- I would have Josh put on Capristo mounts for your exhaust after Ferrari swaps out the headers. Will prevent any future problems and the headers should then last the life of the car

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode