Thoughts on This 1999 360 Argento Nurburgring over Charcoal? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Thoughts on This 1999 360 Argento Nurburgring over Charcoal?

Nearing upon my goal of finding a car I want to spend the forseeable future with (sounds like a damn girl) as a reward for some hard work - I'm looking for the following:

1999 MY due to no cats in the headers
Tubi or Capristo Exhaust
Challenge Grille (I can add that)
Challenge Wheels
No stories

1999 Ferrari 360 Modena for Sale in Los Angeles, CA 90064

Now, its in my price range - but not a 3 pedal which I can live with and still love. My question is this, how is the charcoal interior to live with? Will I regret not having the sex appeal of black leather and black carpet?

Side note, I will be removing the seats for my own brand of carbon kevlar buckets (for biz promotion and write off) covered in black leather with silver thread french seams.

Thoughts my friends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Couple of thoughts. you can add wheels and exhaust so i wouldn't make that too important in my search. If you are thinking about the interior color now, it's not the right color. No stories, always like that one. What if it has a lot of stories but it's 45k and runs and looks great? which brings me to my last thought. get a ppi from an excellent mechanic before you sign on the dotted line. have fun, looking is a big part of the experience.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
I would not buy an F1 360 unless it was a 2002 or newer, unless a 2001 or earlier had a CS TCU installed.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

post #4 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Ahh, the TCU upgrade - I'll check to see if they have done that.

Thanks for the comments! And yes, the PPI is a must and I will verify on the rack myself certain things prior to purchase.

The hunt is half the joy i've heard and it is so true!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Ahh, the TCU upgrade - I'll check to see if they have done that.

Thanks for the comments! And yes, the PPI is a must and I will verify on the rack myself certain things prior to purchase.

The hunt is half the joy i've heard and it is so true!
Thing to check for when on the rack, make sure the alternator harness has been upgraded to the newest one. If the wire is at all hard and brittle coming right off the left side of the alternator, that is a big expense, around 3k.

Other small items: Has the fuel float been changed to the new float that shows full gas tank, otherwise, two bars will never light up. Check clutch life remaining, check that all fluids have been changed, including oil, transmission, coolant, and brake fluids. Check tire life, etc. Make sure none of the dash leather is stretching.

Other important things to check out: Does the car have the Radio Code? Have the Alarm Code and all 3 fobs (one red and two black) and both keys. You can always get a fob cloned, but then need to buy an additional off EBAY. The factory keys are not cheap anymore, around $400, or you can just buy a fiat blank and get one cut, doesn't look as cool, but still works for a back up.

2015 458 Speciale', 2014 F12, 2013 458 Rosso Scuderia (To be traded), 2012 MP4-12C, 2010 LP670 SV, 2010 Panamera Turbo, 2009 16M, 2009 Scuderia , 2008 CLK63 Cab., 2002 996 GT2, 1994 RX-7 R2

Last edited by markjayw; 09-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
Not sure why the interior color is a issue since you will be swapping it out as you said. I think the Black seats you plan on putting in it will look great with the rest of the interior.

As to the TCU, I am also not sure why that is a big deal, the 99 TCU's work, yes they don't work as well as later ones but they work. I am lucky in that my 99 came with a 04 TCU in it because the old one broke on a previous owner but I don't think the TCU should ever be a deal breaker.

The radio code is not a big deal, can get that easily.

Never heard of a problem with the alternator harness so I defer that one to someone more knowledgeable.

The red key fob is a nice thing to have but I had 2 clones made up with FIAT keys, so I have one original key and fob and 2 clones with FIAT keys, I don't use the FIAT keyed ones, one is in my wife's purse and the other in my daughter's purse so I never see them. I only see the original key.

The only issue is the 99's are harder to get past Calif. smog then the later models. I ended up having the dealer get my 99 past smog and it was not cheap with ECU re-flash (in theory I wont have that problem again). The engine passes the sniff test easily, its the ODBII monitors that fail, there is a re-flash that FNA can do but only FNA can do it so that means only a dealer can do it $$$, like I said in theory you only have to do it once.

Make sure the cam variator recall has been done ! with that low mileage I can easily see recalls not having been done.

The 99's tend to be lower priced then the rest of the years, I think that one is high for a 99 but the mileage is ridiculously low (my 99 has 55,000 miles on it) so maybe that is worth some premium in the price.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys prior to a PPI I shut the one down due to:

Last service was 2007
Owned by a major collector who never drives the car, only a few hundred miles in the last few years
Private mechanic does all work so many receipts lacking
Belts have not been done
The Ferrari dealer cannot verify what TCU is in the car
Car has not been excercised as it should be so possibly looking at engine mounts and grand mounts

So I have passed on this one however found another which is a 2 owner and owned by a guy who is like most here and did HIS research prior to buying the 360 so has everything mapped out already. It's grey on black with 20,900 miles, recent services belts and fluids, clutch has 81% life left and pending a great PPI will be a part of the family next month!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Okay guys prior to a PPI I shut the one down due to:

So I have passed on this one however found another which is a 2 owner and owned by a guy who is like most here and did HIS research prior to buying the 360 so has everything mapped out already. It's grey on black with 20,900 miles, recent services belts and fluids, clutch has 81% life left and pending a great PPI will be a part of the family next month!!!

Doesn't get much better than that especially in Grey.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 PM
hng

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
What percentage of clutch life should you look for when buying a used 360? I know someone is going to say "as much as possible" but at what point does it become a deal breaker? Or at what point should I look for a discount because I know I'm going to have to replace the clutch soon?
post #10 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hng View Post
What percentage of clutch life should you look for when buying a used 360? I know someone is going to say "as much as possible" but at what point does it become a deal breaker? Or at what point should I look for a discount because I know I'm going to have to replace the clutch soon?
I think, usually, if the clutch shows WEAR around 70%, you might need to think about replacement. That means it's only about 30% good. I might be wrong, but that seems to be the threshold I've seen online. It probably depends on other things too, and there might be some adjustments which can be made to prolong life. But, since I'm not an owner (yet), this is my outside-looking-in opinion.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 199
F1 around 70% worn seems to be the breakpoint, beyond that you will start getting some neutral issues and shifting issues, you can stretch it by changing the PIS but no matter what the clutch is done and its time to save your pennies for a swap.

3-pedal cars, not even sure they give you percentage, you just drive until it slips and the clutch lasts a lot longer (assuming properly driven).

I personally would not let a car go because the clutch needed replacement, I would actually prefer to have a new clutch and would negotiate the price accordingly, same with belts. But I like starting out with a known condition on my cars. My 360 I did not get to do that since belts were done last year and my clutch is 30% used. I expect to do both clutch and belts in 2 years and saving pennies in large piles accordingly.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Charcoal is actually sort of light black, or, as the factory says, very dark gray. Here is a photo of what charcoal looks like in my car. Steering wheel and dash are also charcoal.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Taz that is a beautiful example - and based on other pics i've seen on the forum its the only reason I considered it. Long story short though - as I'm purchasing for a DD, i'd rather have a car that has been exercised accordingly and fully sorted.

The gentlemen i'm speaking with now concerning his grey 360 is the type of individual i'm looking to purchase from and frankly like building any relationship - I want to take my time to make sure its the car for me.

Pics included of the car i'm currently looking into:
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Looks brand new. Silver is a great color for Ferraris.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode