My first Ferrari ... 575M or 360 Modena - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
My first Ferrari ... 575M or 360 Modena

Hello All, I know this question is frequently asked ... and I have read some of the posts. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on first Ferrari (mid life crisis I guess). Based on cost, I am down to a 360 Modena or 575. I really like the classic good looks of the 550/575. But, I also like the sports appearance of the 360. I love the the thought of the massive power/torque of the 12 cylinder engine, but love the high revs of the 8.

I cannot say for sure, but was thinking that maybe the maintenance requirements of the 575 might be less than the 360 ... but I have been advised that may not be true. Maybe the same?

I am looking at $95K for a 2003 575 with 15,000 miles. There are some problems that people on this forum have pointed out about the 575 and the car I am looking at has two of these ... the leather on the dash is starting to pull away and the red leather piping on the driver's seat is showing minor wear. So, far (waiting for results of PPI of anything else). The present owner of car tells me he has quote of $3,500 to repair the dash.

I would really appreciate hearing from others on my quandary. Are there any significant advantages / disadvantages between the 575 and 360? I know they are different cars ... but I am really fearful of plunking down what is a lot of cash for me and then have buyer's remorse. Any help or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to FLife

Tough call - drive em both unless you want a Spider.

The 12 cylinders offers things the 8 can not and vice versa - Speed Racer vs Sir Racer.

Forget repairing the dash - my 612 has some issues on the dash and it still drives just fine
post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Steve- Read the 575M and Superamerica Technical Thread for some insights.

Leather work can be done at your convenince and in no way affects the operation of the car. Annual maintenance costs on a 360 and 575M are virtually identical. The 360 requires belt changes every three years, the 575M every five years, but the 575M belt change is a bit more expensive. Both get terrible gas mileage. The 575M is quite a bit quicker in a straight line, but the 360 corners better. The big V12 is probably a bit more robust than the smaller V8, but both are long-wearing engines.

If you can afford it, there is an HGTC 575M on the market for a bit more than the 03 you are considering. It is a much better investment and HGTCs will eventually be the collector cars out of the Maranello family, along with the Barchetta and Superamerica. Way less than 100 built.

Note 575Ms built from ~Dec 2003 have significant upgrades over earlier models, but those would not make me hesitate to buy an earlier car if the price were right.

Later 360s also have significantly improved F1 ECUs/TCUs fitted.

According to Daniel at Ricambi, he rarely gets calls for 575M repair parts. Only 2064 built and those tend to be ultra-reliable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode