360 Modena with 51% clutch left - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
360 Modena with 51% clutch left

I am in the final stage of purchasing this 360 modena. Did PPI a couple of days ago and found clutch has 51% remaining. I talked to the shop and the guy said it still has plenty of life left because original thickness is 8mm and 0% is 7 mm. So 50% meaning it only wore out 1/4 mm on each side. However I read somewhere people were saying it will become hard to engage when there is only 20-30 % remaining. The car only has 6k miles. I believe the car was mostly driven on local slow speed streets that is why clutch wore out so fast. Any suggestion on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
50% isn't bad if you can negotiate on the price of the car knowing that you will be putting a clutch in the car while you own it. If the reading is accurate and the clutch isn't glazed and slipping, you should be able to put a few thousand miles on the car before replacing.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseRR View Post
I am in the final stage of purchasing this 360 modena. Did PPI a couple of days ago and found clutch has 51% remaining. I talked to the shop and the guy said it still has plenty of life left because original thickness is 8mm and 0% is 7 mm. So 50% meaning it only wore out 1/4 mm on each side. However I read somewhere people were saying it will become hard to engage when there is only 20-30 % remaining. The car only has 6k miles. I believe the car was mostly driven on local slow speed streets that is why clutch wore out so fast. Any suggestion on this?
I think if I was happy with the rest of the car, a part worn clutch would not stop me from buying.

2013 FF & long term owner of a 1978 512 Boxer blu over black.
previously owned a 1990 328GTS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode