Ferrari "Virgin" -Search Report - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Ferrari "Virgin" -Search Report

I have completed a several week search report to try to find an acceptable Ferrari 360 Modena, prefferably with a 6 speed MANUAL gearbox.

I traveled far and wide (all southern California) and tried out quite a few. From owners and consignees. All were F1s. Almost all had shifting problems. Example-- Consignee driving car to get gas. Fueled up and back on road. At red light gearbox would not engage Neutral. (Both paddles pulled up. Brake on. Horrible stink from clutch! Engine off quickly and try to push car
off roadway. The owner/ consignee called AAA. I called my wife to come and get me, at great inconvenience. The owner never called me to explain or apologize.

I finally found a 360 that was acceptable to me, but when the consignee called the owner to tell
him, the owner withdrew the car from sale without hearing my acceptance or offer.

A dealer offered me a 430 with MANUAL, not F1 to try. It was delightful but not in my price range.

I am now firmly convinced that a 550 Maranello with 6 speed manual is a far better buy than
any 360 with F1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lehrer View Post
I have completed a several week search report to try to find an acceptable Ferrari 360 Modena, prefferably with a 6 speed MANUAL gearbox.

I traveled far and wide (all southern California) and tried out quite a few. From owners and consignees. All were F1s. Almost all had shifting problems. Example-- Consignee driving car to get gas. Fueled up and back on road. At red light gearbox would not engage Neutral. (Both paddles pulled up. Brake on. Horrible stink from clutch! Engine off quickly and try to push car
off roadway. The owner/ consignee called AAA. I called my wife to come and get me, at great inconvenience. The owner never called me to explain or apologize.

I finally found a 360 that was acceptable to me, but when the consignee called the owner to tell
him, the owner withdrew the car from sale without hearing my acceptance or offer.

A dealer offered me a 430 with MANUAL, not F1 to try. It was delightful but not in my price range.

I am now firmly convinced that a 550 Maranello with 6 speed manual is a far better buy than
any 360 with F1.
Wow, so sorry to hear about your experience. In defense of the 360, I'm fairly certain some owners will chime in to offer 'that's not typical' for the 360 F1. I'm still planning to buy one!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
expand your search nationwide. there are hundreds, if not thousands available. i'm sure you can find one that suits you in every way. The experience you relay supports our recommendation for an independent ppi on any car before you buy it. good luck and have fun. don't rush it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
So why did the car stick in neutral? Is this a common problem with the "F1" gear box? I have heard that 2nd gear is also a problem...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Betty- Welcome to Ferrari Life. The F1 system's primary safety outlet is to select neutral for several indications of an F1 failure. This at least allows you to push the car to the side of the road and get it on a tow truck.

In general, though, the system gives plenty of warning, usually selecting neutral semi-randomly or giving an F1 fault light, when a problem exists. What this should tell the owner is to get to a technician while you can still drive it, because a problem exists. Ignore the warnings, and more costly things can happen. Things that will cause neutral to be selected or the F1 warngin light to illuminate can be a worn clutch, hydraulic lines that need to be bled, bad clutch position sensor, burned out F1 pump relay on early 360s and 575Ms, low F1 hydraulic fluid, etc.

Unfortunately, many owners ignore the first warning signs and just keep driving until the F1 system says enough and selects neutral permanently, as happened to Jerry. If Jerry could stand talking to the less than competent owner who stranded them, he would likely find the car had been strangely selecting neutral for quite a while, but it always fixed itself, so how big a problem could it be?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Ferrari Virgin Report

Why are you all talking about engaging neutral?? I distinctly said that the car COULD NOT
engage neutral. No matter what. The clutch was stinking smoking. Brakes were om. I finally
reached across and turned the key off. Then I bailed out.

Please re-evaluate your replies based on the facts as I stated them. The car was apparently
locked in gear.

Believe me, if the car could get into neutral, the clutch would not burn. And we could easily
push the car to the curb.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Jerry- The point was the car had undoubtedly been selecting neutral for quite a while and the owner had ignored it. So this time when the system went, it was much more catastrophic. Owner hoping to sell the car before he had to dump any more money into it. You are correct in that I said it selected neutral permanently, when in actuality it just died in gear. Forgot that part.

So what do you want me to change except for that?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Welcome Jerry and Betty.

JERRY: Cannot, nor want to, address the first problem you had. The 360s did have some problems but could be sorted by a well trained mech with proper equipment. Many owners have thrashed or learned the hard way on their first F1, typically the 355/360 era. Since that person never got back to you, it can only be speculation on our part.

There are many good examples of manual 360s and as you I prefer that model with a stick. We have a few sponsors here that advertise. La Jolla, has a few to choose as well. I could comment directly but will only comment on directly listed models by them and go from there. Had some 'good' and 'questionable' experiences.

I like the 430 more but as you, more expensive now, and still depreciating...will wait. I would most likely get the F1 in a 430, but like said that's not the topic today.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode