328 NOW or 360 later - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
328 NOW or 360 later

I believe i can afford a 328 now vs. saving up for a bigger down payment on a 360 in the next 2 years. I like the look of both cars to be honest but my thougts are that i waited this long, whats a couple more years??? I've watched a lot of you tube videos on both cars and seen them both in person at shows. Both are beautiful in their own way. However, If i could truly only have one, I'd go with the 360 because it has more bells and whistles. From what i've read online, it sounds like the 328 is more reliable and i might have a chance at doing some of the maintenance myself.

I'm thinking i can always sell the 328 for almost the same price i buy it at and use that money towards financing the 360 if and when i get bored of the 328. Thoughts? Also, Could someone post or email me a ptr of the underside of a 328 and 360? i have never seen these images before and would really like to know if the 328 has an underbody cover, panel or spoiler of some sort. I think the 360 does right???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
These are very different cars. i would recommend driving both to get a feel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 34 Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Cheng- Get the 328 and drive it for two years. If you love it, keep, it. If you still want a 360, trade the 328 or sell it. A 328 is a better investment than the stock market right now.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 34 Old 06-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
These are very different cars. i would recommend driving both to get a feel.
+1 on this thought. You may find that the 360 is so far superior that it merits waiting the requisite few years. Or, you may discover the 328 really rings your bell and you should start shopping around immediately! I've only driven the 328, so I can't give you any more advice than that.

Good luck,
Paul
post #5 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Is there a downside to buying the 328 and driving it?

Only the maintenance issues. Whatever you spend in maintenance you won't recover, but I doubt the car will lose a dollar of value in the next two years.

the same can not be said for the 360 which may drop enough in two years to offset the maintenance costs you lay out for the 328.

Drive a 328. If you like it, buy it. I would not test drive the 360, it is a very different car and it may make you want to wait those two years. And that would be a shame because you could have been driving a 328 all that time, and that's a great car to start your Ferrari experience with.

D
post #6 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Cheng there is a member here KimPearsonusa who is selling his 328 located in Lake St Louis - I noticed you are in the midwest.

A very nice example who recently purchased a 360 spider.

May want to send him a pm and collect his thoughts.
post #7 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Hi Cheng

I'd buy your 328 now & enjoy her as you will get your money back to upgrade to a 360 if you want to do this whenever.

Also remember life is short & your health can change, so grab life by the scruff of its neck & live it for today, not tomorrow!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #8 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
328, it a much better investment and in a couple or so years you will be able to trade "down" to a 360

P
post #9 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member

dave and i completely agree. anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanioGrigio View Post
Is there a downside to buying the 328 and driving it?

Only the maintenance issues. Whatever you spend in maintenance you won't recover, but I doubt the car will lose a dollar of value in the next two years.

the same can not be said for the 360 which may drop enough in two years to offset the maintenance costs you lay out for the 328.

Drive a 328. If you like it, buy it. I would not test drive the 360, it is a very different car and it may make you want to wait those two years. And that would be a shame because you could have been driving a 328 all that time, and that's a great car to start your Ferrari experience with.

D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwozza View Post
328, it a much better investment and in a couple or so years you will be able to trade "down" to a 360

P
i don't think i would call it an investment..(however it is a little safer than most some wld argue!)...but what everyone has said above is true, there is not much money to loose on the 328 if you buy one today and sell it in about 2 years....but then again, selling privately an F-car does not happen as easily as other main stream bangers because its a very niche market...so prob in 2 years, if traded it in for a 360 (as opposed to a private sale), there might be a little money to loose (not factoring in the maintenance of course!)

ps: go for the 328 now........

post #11 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Get the 328. It is a great car to drive, has great sound, has the right name, the right looks, and doesn't depreciate. Fantastic bang for buck.

Don't forget what you get with a Ferrari is so much more than just the car. The meetings with other enthousiasts, the grins on kids faces, the enjoyment of the winding road.

If the 360 happens, great, if it doesn't then no-one can take away your experiences.

Best of luck deciding!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #12 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thank you to all who have responded so far. This modern day technology is simply amazing in that it makes it all possible for for us to share our thoughts together on this wonderful subject. I have begun my shopping and homework and this forum will be a major tool in assisting my future Ferrari purchase. My thoughts are now:

-328 GTS vs. GTB which i have done some reading. I am leaning towards the GTB for supposed better driving performance but beleive that modifications to a GTS should be possible to make them equals in that arena (suspension mods?") problem is there are significantly less GTB's to choose from.

-Is it still enjoyable without power steering? less parts to break right? no power steering fluid leaks to wrry about.

-pre-anti lock brakes or post? again, pre- would be preferred with less parts to break. is this good logic? this car will not be driven in the snow or rain (if weather people don't screw up).

-how realistic is it to get a 328 with near perfect original paint? no fading, oxidizing, poor repaint (orange peel)?
post #13 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
I'm glad you seem to be going for early entry into this wonderful world of Ferrari ownership.

I hankered after a certain Porsche 10 years ago, put it off, then a good freind dropped off this mortal coil after finally buying the Merc he'd always wanted - having enjoyed it for only a few months. I bought the Porsche within a month.

You're a long time dead, rack up some miles in the 328 and see where the next 2 years takes you. And please get it inspected before you buy.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Purchase a good specimen of any F-car you can afford to purchase and maintain NOW. Don't wait! It's not worth the wait. These cars are too much fun. Just don't overextend yourself to where you can't maintain it properly. If you do this I can't see where you'll be disappointed. Just my two cents.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
dave and i completely agree. anything can happen.
WHAT?

Nah . . .

You're just setting me up for something.

I can't wait to see what it is.

Dave
post #16 of 34 Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
-328 GTS vs. GTB which i have done some reading. I am leaning towards the GTB for supposed better driving performance but beleive that modifications to a GTS should be possible to make them equals in that arena (suspension mods?") problem is there are significantly less GTB's to choose from.
not sure how the gtb would provide better driving performance unless you plan on pushing the limit on the track. more about looks and open top driving than anything. I prefer open cars myself, but i prefer the looks of the gtb slightly better.

Quote:
-Is it still enjoyable without power steering? less parts to break right? no power steering fluid leaks to wrry about.
no power steering is it's primary selling point. few cars have as good a road feel as a 328 in my opinion. Very much like a go cart.

Quote:
-pre-anti lock brakes or post? again, pre- would be preferred with less parts to break. is this good logic? this car will not be driven in the snow or rain (if weather people don't screw up).
don't think anti lock breaks mean anything more than the look of the wheel. luckily for me, i prefer the look of the convex wheels.

Quote:
-how realistic is it to get a 328 with near perfect original paint? no fading, oxidizing, poor repaint (orange peel)?
very realistic. 95% of the 328's i have seen have near flawless original paint. including mine. These cars have generally been babied since new.

post #17 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
The 328 is ferrari and ferrari is the 328 I know lots of fellows don't agree with me..but the 360 doesn't even look like a ferrari...its ugly..period..I don't care how much newer or high tech it is..the 328 blows it away in looks..and I'm sure..the driving experience...buy the 328 ,,and the GTB,is the best model.Get an 89 if you can Its the best of the run since the 76 308. I've had mine for thirteen years and have logged 70 thousand miles on it.
post #18 of 34 Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenglo1 View Post

Do your homework...

Late 328s are paintet better than anything else iīve seen. They donīt have any orange peel. They are painted like a mirror.

And i like the 328 much more, than the 360. More understatement, far better sound, more basic and because i like 70/80s Ferraris.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
The 328 is ferrari and ferrari is the 328 I know lots of fellows don't agree with me..but the 360 doesn't even look like a ferrari...its ugly..period..I don't care how much newer or high tech it is..the 328 blows it away in looks..and I'm sure..the driving experience...buy the 328 ,,and the GTB,is the best model.Get an 89 if you can Its the best of the run since the 76 308. I've had mine for thirteen years and have logged 70 thousand miles on it.
Not sure I'd go THAT far.

they are VERY different cars. 15 years of technology will do that.

The 328 is old school styling, some like it, some don't. The 360 is the first car with the new look, while still paying homage to the Dino and it's offspring.

Driving experience is completely different. the 360 has GOBS of power and handles, to it's limit, like it's on a rail. I have not driven a 328 on a track, so I can't compare them, but it's not going to be a similar experience.

Some like the old style, some the new. either car is easily recognized as a Ferrari, if that's part of the appeal.

Either car would make a great first Ferrari. But again, I'd buy what I could afford now, drive it, love it, then trade it out for something newer if the mood strikes you in the future.

Notice I didn't say "trade up?"

D
post #20 of 34 Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Cruise ctrl?

Cruise ctrl on any of the 308 or 328's? Got the house on the mkt so we can get a new house with room for the ferrari. Only have a dbl garage and midwest winters are not nice. We thought of adding another stall but will have to compare cost vs moving.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode