Ferrari "Virgin" - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Ferrari "Virgin"

Iam in the process of buying my first Ferrari. I have driven and raced quite a few Ferraris in the 1950's and '60s-- But I have never owned one. I have only had experience with front engined 12
cylinder types. My own cars have run the gamut from MG-TD, Jaguars and many Porsches.

I have just gotten a one year extension on my contract and so feel the need for a reward.,

I was considering a a 360 coupe, but it seems that they are all with F1 gearbox. I don't need those troubles!! 6 speed boxes don't seem to be for sale. Therefore a Marenello Berlinetta is the next
most reasonable car for me. I want a daily driver car. as I drive 18 miles to work with garages at both ends. No slow bumper to bumper traffic.

I would appreciate any and all advice. I live in La Jolla California, so I suppose that good Ferrari service is available-- Any recomendations ?

Jerriy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrar LIfe Jerry. 360 or 550 would both make for a nice way to get to and from work each day. Have you driven an F1 360? If not, I'd take a test drive before you rule them out. The F1 gearbox is a relatively trouble free piece of kit in the 360, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lehrer View Post
Iam in the process of buying my first Ferrari. I have driven and raced quite a few Ferraris in the 1950's and '60s-- But I have never owned one. I have only had experience with front engined 12
cylinder types. My own cars have run the gamut from MG-TD, Jaguars and many Porsches.

I have just gotten a one year extension on my contract and so feel the need for a reward.,

I was considering a a 360 coupe, but it seems that they are all with F1 gearbox. I don't need those troubles!! 6 speed boxes don't seem to be for sale. Therefore a Marenello Berlinetta is the next
most reasonable car for me. I want a daily driver car. as I drive 18 miles to work with garages at both ends. No slow bumper to bumper traffic.

I would appreciate any and all advice. I live in La Jolla California, so I suppose that good Ferrari service is available-- Any recomendations ?

Jerriy

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jerry- Welcome to Ferrari Life. There are 360s out there with three pedals. You just need to look harder or have a broker find one for you. The 550 makes an excellent daily driver and the cars have proven very reliable. Most of the small problem areas have cures well known to the community and the basic drivetrain is pretty much bullet-proof if well maintained.

Lots of Ferrari service options in the San Diego/OC area. You should have no problem finding someone you trust. Gary Bobileff is a good independent in that area.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Ferrari Virgin Replies

TAZ;

The reason that I am leery of FI is that BOTH 360's that I was interested in, had shifting problems BEFORE I had the PPI arranged. The owner/ consignee called me and told me so I could stop the PPI. I am really concerned that the FI system is open to problems. How does one avoid a slipping clutch without a clutch pedal?

No, I have never driven a F1 equipped Ferrari.

I hope this will not lead to a series of testy comments about my age and income as an earlier thread about resale/colour or coupe /spider. Some wag questioned the age and income of the person who posted the inquiry.

Let me assure you that I have driven/raced Ferraris before most of you were born and that my
income is adequate.

Jerry
post #5 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Welcome to the site. Enjoy the site. If you need any help, please feel free to call or email me.
Thanks
Alex.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jerry- Wrong guy. I have an F1 575M that works perfectly. If you want a three pedal 360 (they all have the same transmission and clutch), find one, because there are quite a few. If you get a 550, no problem, they are all three pedal. On 575Ms, only about 12% (246) were three pedal, but the 360 percentage was higher than that. There are probably as many three pedal 360s as there are total 575Ms.

Well maintained F1 360s work fine as long as the F1 pump relay is changed regularly. Bad luck finding two with shifting problems. Probably why they were for sale.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lehrer View Post
TAZ;

The reason that I am leery of FI is that BOTH 360's that I was interested in, had shifting problems BEFORE I had the PPI arranged. The owner/ consignee called me and told me so I could stop the PPI. I am really concerned that the FI system is open to problems. How does one avoid a slipping clutch without a clutch pedal?

No, I have never driven a F1 equipped Ferrari.

I hope this will not lead to a series of testy comments about my age and income as an earlier thread about resale/colour or coupe /spider. Some wag questioned the age and income of the person who posted the inquiry.

Let me assure you that I have driven/raced Ferraris before most of you were born and that my
income is adequate.

Jerry

I know the F1 system quite well and they are more prone to problems. I happen to agree with you and my choice would be a manual shifter too. While there is a fix for every problem the biggest problem with F1 systems is the inability of most of the Ferrari mechanics to get them and keep them working correctly and that is a real issue. I have had more than one 360 with F1 problems sent to my shop in Northern California from Southern California. I do happen to like F1 transmissions and love driving them but your concerns are real.

Get in touch with some sales person you trust and have them find you a car. 6 speed 360 are out there but a 550 or 575 is a good choice too.

Last edited by Brian; 05-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode