Learning about ordering new... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Learning about ordering new...

Hello all, been browsing the forum for a while, first post...

I'm new to the world of ferarri, have not owned, and do not currently. Sort of testing the waters a bit and learning a lot from the members! I came across a question recently while discussing 458's with a midwestern dealer. Is it true that ordering a new spider will cost you the base+options+the current 'premium' for this vehicle? I was under the impression that the benefit of ordering and waiting for your build date would be to save you any 'over-sticker' markups from a dealer (and obviously get exactly what you're looking for!), am I wrong? I got the impression that I was being told that to encourage interest in vehicles that the dealer already had in the shop, so I didn't get into it much on the spot!

Anyone place a recent order that could fill me in on build wait times as well? Thanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I think you will find your answer by looking around his shop and seeing how many spiders he has ready for delivery. Or even how many brand new coupes he has for you. My guess would be 0 spiders and 0 unregistered coupes. That is the reason for the pre-order and dealer premium. They don't have inventory.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I agree with your point there, but it doesn't really answer my question... Simply put, when ordering new and waiting for a build date, are you going to pay over sticker? Or are those markups really just on the vehicles that the dealers have ordered for their own showrooms and those on the secondary markets?

post #4 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I would imagine the best person to ask that is your dealer. i believe the territories are protected so you have to order from your local dealer. all of the recent models have had a premium. i imagine the 458 does as well. Pretty sure the dealers don't order for inventory as they get such a small allocation, but i don't know that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 12 Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
JN- The feeding frenzy on new Ferraris is not nearly what it was in years past. The correct question to ask the dealer is how long would you have to wait for a 458 or 458 Spider at MSRP? If he says he will not take orders for cars at MSRP, then go to another dealer. Nice thing about the Chicago area is at least two choices of dealers.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn960502 View Post
I agree with your point there, but it doesn't really answer my question... Simply put, when ordering new and waiting for a build date, are you going to pay over sticker? Or are those markups really just on the vehicles that the dealers have ordered for their own showrooms and those on the secondary markets?
Each dealer will be different. At Ron Tonkin in Portland, Oregon, I had to put down a $25,000 deposit, and my wait time is estimated at 8 months for a coupe.

Seriously, I would just get a new, or low mile Gallardo Superleggera, or Performante, wait a couple years, then buy a 2010, or 2011 458 when they start dropping below retail sticker. There are still a ton sitting, so we are getting close, no more than 1-2 years max.

By then, they will probably have all the bugs worked out.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
good idea

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:

I'm new to the world of ferarri, have not owned, and do not currently. Sort of testing the waters a bit and learning a lot from the members! I came across a question recently while discussing 458's with a midwestern dealer. Is it true that ordering a new spider will cost you the base+options+the current 'premium' for this vehicle? I was under the impression that the benefit of ordering and waiting for your build date would be to save you any 'over-sticker' markups from a dealer (and obviously get exactly what you're looking for!), am I wrong? I got the impression that I was being told that to encourage interest in vehicles that the dealer already had in the shop, so I didn't get into it much on the spot!

Anyone place a recent order that could fill me in on build wait times as well? Thanks again everyone.
Spider slots are filled - yes it's going to cost you to move up the list.

If you want to wait - which I suggest go buy one used from the dealer and I am pretty sure he will move you up the list.

For 12 months you can drive a Ferrari and then sell it back and lose less than paying a premium.

Have to add this - go buy a 16M and you won't be disappointed
post #9 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Spider slots are filled - yes it's going to cost you to move up the list.

If you want to wait - which I suggest go buy one used from the dealer and I am pretty sure he will move you up the list.

For 12 months you can drive a Ferrari and then sell it back and lose less than paying a premium.

Have to add this - go buy a 16M and you won't be disappointed
Or follow the above advice, but you will lose money on anything you buy now, and trade in.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
If you order new and wait for a build slot, you should not have to pay a premium over sticker.

Dealers are not allowed to order for there own stock outside of a demo model that they are normally required to keep for 6-12 months before begin allowed to sell it on as a used Ferrari.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Taz's right. You are asking the wrong question. Well, sort of.
I have visited 4 Ferrari dealers in Cal and NV. All said approx 3 yrs of wait for a spyder but 14 months for a coupe. That's without having a purchase history with the dealership. I was also told by one sales person that a new Ferrari must be sold at the sticker or above and that is required by ferrari factory. Dealers get audited to ensure no dealer is selling a new Ferrari under the sticker. Go figure..

Quote:

post #12 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
What about the open ended lease option? I came across someone who did this and (please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding) they put down somewhere between 30-50k, ordered how they wanted the vehicle to be, did a 5 year lease, unlimited mileage (at your own depreciation risk) and paid 2500 a month. Before end of lease you can either sell the car at, below or above the 'residual' value of car at end of lease and pay/keep any difference, or pay the dealer the residual in balloon at end of term. Anyone have any experience with this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode