I've never owned a ferrari and am thinking about buying in the near future - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
I've never owned a ferrari and am thinking about buying in the near future

I cant stop thinking about a ferrari. I have a 2012 range rover right now that I own free and clear. I make 1 mil + after taxes per year and own my house free and clear. I have a bit of a speeding problem and a ferrari wont help. I want to spend around 150k on a F430 possibly spider, Corsa Rosa with tan guts. I'm not looking for Scuderia or anything too fancy. Realistically what should i be looking for as far year and miles go? Is my price realistic or should i go up in my budget. Am I in a position to be buying a ferrari or am i setting myself up for failure with the maintenance costs? This will not be a daily driver, just a weekender! I live in seattle so the rain will also limit my ability to use it too much. any pointers or help would be great. Should i be looking any place specific for the car? I have a friend that can go to auction, should i have him look there? Sorry for any grammar or spelling issues, I'm writing this on my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ferrari View Post
I make 1 mil + after taxes per year
Quote:
Am I in a position to be buying a ferrari or am i setting myself up for failure with the maintenance costs?
I don't think you can afford a Ferrari. Maintenance is at least $950k a year, if you're lucky.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #3 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
from what you say, you seem to be in a position to own one. That really depends on your priorities. The budget sounds right. the 430 guys will chime in about what year, ext. i generally wouldn't go to an auction for a ferrari unless you have a strong tolerance for taking chances. best to look at dealers and individuals selling retail. There are many buying threads on this site, i recommend a search and read through of several.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
If you make 1 mil a year you should go to a Ferrari dealership and get a new one. I think you can afford it. That's what I did. Don't take your chances on a used one especially in from an auction.
post #5 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Ferrari Life

430 Spider - very good choice for your first Ferrari

Red Tan another good choice - feel free to post the 430's you are pursuing.

The forum will help you along especially once you take ownership.

The first step - read the 430 buyers guide.
post #6 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray911 View Post
If you make 1 mil a year you should go to a Ferrari dealership and get a new one. I think you can afford it. That's what I did. Don't take your chances on a used one especially in from an auction.

Welcome to Ferrari Life

Feel free to introduce yourself in the introductory thread - looking forward to seeing pictures of your Ferrari.
post #7 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrari Life.

Quote:
I make 1 mil + after taxes per year
You can afford more than one.... I'd buy a fleet.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #8 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray911 View Post
Welcome and I agree especially on the auction scenario.

Quote:
I cant stop thinking about a ferrari. I have a 2012 range rover right now that I own free and clear. I make 1 mil + after taxes per year and own my house free and clear. I have a bit of a speeding problem and a ferrari wont help. I want to spend around 150k on a F430 possibly spider, Corsa Rosa with tan guts. I'm not looking for Scuderia or anything too fancy. Realistically what should i be looking for as far year and miles go? Is my price realistic or should i go up in my budget. Am I in a position to be buying a ferrari or am i setting myself up for failure with the maintenance costs? This will not be a daily driver, just a weekender! I live in seattle so the rain will also limit my ability to use it too much. any pointers or help would be great. Should i be looking any place specific for the car? I have a friend that can go to auction, should i have him look there? Sorry for any grammar or spelling issues, I'm writing this on my phone.
Welcome. If you are in that bracket I believe an F430 would be an experience easily obtained.

Quote:
I don't think you can afford a Ferrari. Maintenance is at least $950k a year, if you're lucky.

Onno
I know where you are going with this .... but still a LOL

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I know where you are going with this .... but still a LOL
I'm glad somebody picked up on it.

Honestly guys, read that first post again. How could that ever be a genuine post?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

330GTC
post #10 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I'm glad somebody picked up on it.

Honestly guys, read that first post again. How could that ever be a genuine post?

Onno
LOL ... I bit
post #11 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I have a very very hard time spending money guys so I'm sorry I wasn't trying to come off as a snob about the income. anyways I have convinced myself to go with a F430 spider. I am looking at one that is being offered for sale at ferrari of seattle. I don't like the rims but I think I'm going to put black and red rims on it. what do you guys think about putting after market rims on a ferrari? bad choice? Also I should mention that I am only planning to buy a certified after speaking with the dealership and have completely forgot about the auction idea. I don't want to take any chances.
I don't want to buy new because I absolutely love the way the F430 looks and think that the 458 is too saloon for my taste if you know what I mean. I want something that looks less like a luxury car and more like a track car.
here is the car I am looking at:
2007 Ferrari F430F1 Spider
post #12 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Also the one I'm looking at has the carbon ceramic brakes which is an added option and from what I've learned only standard on 2008 and newer. I'm not sure if this is an important option. The dealer seemed to think so. Any input?
post #13 of 39 Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Looks nice

I'd keep the wheels, but That's just personal taste.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #14 of 39 Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Owner

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but why on earth would you worry about being in a position to afford maintenance when you can buy eight 430s in a single year? I just don't understand why someone like you would need to ask that question. You know what comes in and what goes out, you've owned other cars before, even if Ferraris are double the money then you would know it's not a problem.

Just some small advice, given on best intentions - I know a few guys in your league and they would never, ever post their income publicly like that. This is a small world and eventually your forum name will be linked to a real name. These posts stay forever, people seem to forget that. If you are genuine, you might want to consider asking a mod to remove this thread and start again. But it is up to you.

Regarding the car.

CC brakes are not necessary for a road car, especially in the US (let's assume you stick to the road laws). They are very expensive to repair when they eventually go. I consider having steel brakes on a Spider a nice to have. It will hurt your resale a little bit.

Regarding the car, it looks nice but looks don't mean anything. Have a PPI done. DO NOT TRUST THE DEALER! Although many dealers are perfectly fine, not all of them are and I know a couple of Ferrari dealers that I would not buy a toy car from, let alone a real one. It is not worth to take that chance, get a proper inspection and have a) piece of mind and b) a negotiating position.

I disagree completely about your comments on the 458, of course, I think mine will look plenty sporty when she's done. But each man can have his own opinion.

Onno

330GTC
post #15 of 39 Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Also the one I'm looking at has the carbon ceramic brakes which is an added option and from what I've learned only standard on 2008 and newer. I'm not sure if this is an important option. The dealer seemed to think so. Any input?
Great Car and a good dealer.

Go for it - you won't have any regrets.

The 360 430 458 are all beautiful cars.

My 430 has ceramics - very very happy.

Ceramics look better easy to clean no brake grime and most of all stop on a dime.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
I'd agree with Champagne612 about the ccm brakes, for me they're a must have as there's no brake dust & I think they fit the wheels better too. ive always found they perform faultlessly, but you need to make sure they are warmed up before you start to use them or they won't initially work and that'll give you a nasty surprise. A friend who did some testing with Ferrari on these brakes still thinks steels are better, but, a car with steels should be circa $5-10k less as most want the ccm's so a car without will limit resale.

CCM's should last circa 80-100k miles depending on how the cars been driven, so get the Dealer to confirm the Brake and Clutch Wear and post these up so we can advise you if it's normal for a near 10k F430.

I wholeheartedly also agree with JazzyO, you MUST, MUST, MUST have an independent PPI carried out, irrespective if you're buying from a main Ferrari Dealer or not and whether this one is advised a good Dealer, I can tell you from personal experience that bad cars slip do through the approved used certified net and are offered up for sale!

Finally, there were a raft of upgrades from the 2008 model that Taz recently listed, so I'd recommend you look at 2008 or 2009 as they were much improved. Before you ask me what the modifications were, see the 430 buying guide that's posted as a sticky.

Good luck with your purchase, enjoy her fully as they're amazing cars

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 04-20-2012 at 05:24 AM.
post #17 of 39 Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm going to go look at a 2009 that is for sale at Ron Tonkin ferrari in nearby portland. The only down side to that one is that it isn't Rosso Corsa and it's a coupe not a spider. I will keep you guys updated on what I end up doing.
viewinventory.default
post #18 of 39 Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm going to go look at a 2009 that is for sale at Ron Tonkin ferrari in nearby portland. The only down side to that one is that it isn't Rosso Corsa and it's a coupe not a spider. I will keep you guys updated on what I end up doing.
viewinventory.default
Good Luck

post #19 of 39 Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
from what you say, you seem to be in a position to own one. That really depends on your priorities. The budget sounds right. the 430 guys will chime in about what year, ext. i generally wouldn't go to an auction for a ferrari unless you have a strong tolerance for taking chances. best to look at dealers and individuals selling retail. There are many buying threads on this site, i recommend a search and read through of several.
There is nothing wrong with going to auction, if you bring a qualified tech with you. Persons like myself can be flown in to offer a solid pre-purchase inspection, or local dealers may provide this service for a fee if you ask.
post #20 of 39 Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
I'd agree with Champagne612 about the ccm brakes, for me they're a must have as there's no brake dust & I think they fit the wheels better too. ive always found they perform faultlessly, but you need to make sure they are warmed up before you start to use them or they won't initially work and that'll give you a nasty surprise. A friend who did some testing with Ferrari on these brakes still thinks steels are better, but, a car with steels should be circa $5-10k less as most want the ccm's so a car without will limit resale.

CCM's should last circa 80-100k miles depending on how the cars been driven, so get the Dealer to confirm the Brake and Clutch Wear and post these up so we can advise you if it's normal for a near 10k F430.

I wholeheartedly also agree with JazzyO, you MUST, MUST, MUST have an independent PPI carried out, irrespective if you're buying from a main Ferrari Dealer or not and whether this one is advised a good Dealer, I can tell you from personal experience that bad cars slip do through the approved used certified net and are offered up for sale!

Finally, there were a raft of upgrades from the 2008 model that Taz recently listed, so I'd recommend you look at 2008 or 2009 as they were much improved. Before you ask me what the modifications were, see the 430 buying guide that's posted as a sticky.

Good luck with your purchase, enjoy her fully as they're amazing cars

100k miles on CCM brakes?

Did a salesman tell you that?

The last 2 I saw that needed brakes, one had 9000 and 5 track events and the other had about 27000 street miles. That is more the norm.

Sorry but in my opinion CCM brakes are dumb on a street car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode