360 Windshield replacement - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
360 Windshield replacement

SO here's the deal. Today was supposed to be the day I got the results of the PPI on the 2004 360 Modena I'm looking to purchase from a private seller.

Get this! The owner takes the car out of his garage and is cleaning it up a bit before the transport come to pick up the car to take it to the Ferrari dealership for the PPI. While cleaning the car something falls of of a nearby tree, hits the windshield and chips it right in front of the driver's seat and immediately shows spidering cracks away from the chip. Owner calls me. He is obviously distraught. He tells me he's willing to replace the windshield but understands if I change my mind about purchasing the car. I'm not local to him so I couldn't stop by to inspect the car myself so I tell him to go ahead and let them take the car and perform the PPI. I will be going to the dealership today to go over the results of the PPI and see the damage to the windshield. The dealership has estimated it will be a week before they can get the windshield replaced.

So my question is this, does anyone know of any pitfalls to look out for on a windshield replacement on a 360? If there's no other damage to the car from the fallen object (the owner said there isn't) then I'm inclined to just deduct the cost of replacement from the purchase price and consummate the deal, however, depending upon the advice I receive here I may also consider just waiting until the repair is complete and address any potential pitfalls before final purchase.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
first off if the dealer is replacing it I would expect no problems. secondly I know of nothing different about 360 windshield verses other cars. the reason it takes so long is a 360 windshield is rather unique in the supply line

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,324
Sorry to hear that. Shouldn't that not be covered by his car insurance as it was a falling object? There should be no impact on the selling price. As Rik said, there will be no other issues beside the windshield replacement. Just make sure that it will be changed in the state of art, I mean, done by a professional.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks guys, that's really what I figured but it helps to get a second opinion. The winshield is being replaced by Ferrari of Central Jersey. The PPI was done at Algar Ferrari in Phildelphia but they said it would be up to a week to replace the windshield. However, Ferrari of Central Jersey has the windshield available so the owner is paying to have it trucked to Central Jersey and replaced today. Should be back in his hands by tomorrow.

BTW... the PPI was nearly perfect. Compression good across all cylinders, Clutch wear is only 5%. The only "issue" noted was some noise from the secondary air pump. A pump that the dealership tells me is not even on european cars. Looks like a go.

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulferrari View Post
Thanks guys, that's really what I figured but it helps to get a second opinion. The winshield is being replaced by Ferrari of Central Jersey. The PPI was done at Algar Ferrari in Phildelphia but they said it would be up to a week to replace the windshield. However, Ferrari of Central Jersey has the windshield available so the owner is paying to have it trucked to Central Jersey and replaced today. Should be back in his hands by tomorrow.

BTW... the PPI was nearly perfect. Compression good across all cylinders, Clutch wear is only 5%. The only "issue" noted was some noise from the secondary air pump. A pump that the dealership tells me is not even on european cars. Looks like a go.

Thanks for the info.
Good result. Only a minor hiccup so. Good luck in concluding the transaction.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Good news is you now have a new windshield and all the chips will belong to you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Good news is you now have a new windshield and all the chips will belong to you.
Haha, yes, you have that right! Sitting here filling out the Registration/Title paperwork. A wonderful day at the DMV tomorrow morning, but it'll be worth it later in the day.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
Bob,

Really I cannot stress how important it is to insist that the fitter does a full water leak down test and use a torch under the dashboard to inspect for any water leaks PROPERLY. I had a poorly fitted replacement screen done badly by a so called 'professional' company. To my horror it caused many many thousands of pounds in damage and huge amount of labour and stress. You really cannot imagine.

Firstly the water leaked onto the left hand side [just a trickle] through the base of the window. This caused a short circuit of the Window/Dock Lock ECU. This then in turn caused the windows to go up/down crazy style and doors lock/unlock which then proceeded to destroy the drivers side power lock and take out the lock relay too. This happened overnight while at a swanky hotel [unfortunately we got torrential rain that night!] so I came back to find the interior soaking wet and the windows fully wound down, along with a completely flat battery!

... Also since the door lock had completely seized up the door panel had to come off to replace it, none of the usual door opening tricks worked. However the door panel couldn't completely be removed to get full access required without the whole dashboard upper and lower coming out too, including steering wheel, air bags, clocks, centre console, stereo, etc. (also required to isolate the source of the leak!).

If I had carpets/underlay [I don't] they would have needed replacing too. It also damaged the digital throttle potentiometer too. In summary the whole situation was a big headache and many many hours of labour and thousands of pounds worth of damage....

So YES... Make sure they do the job PROPERLY... This was from literally just a few drops of rain!

I learned the hard way. My car normally doesn't stay outside and since it was many months elapsed since the 'repair' of the windscreen [garaged car] there was no way to prove they where at fault. so I had to sucker it up down to experience....

> New Power Locks
> New Window/Door Lock ECU & Relay
> New Digital Throttle Pedal
> New Carpets & Underlay [If I'd had them]
> Full dash out, airbag, steering wheel, clocks, door panels, the lot...

You get the idea...

Had it leaked on the right hand side too it would have also taken out many other ecu's too such as aircon, suspension ecu, etc but this was just from the LEFT hand side.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks, this sounds like sound advice for all windshield replacements. I've had my 360 for a couple of months now and all is well. With your advice in mind I will keep an eye out for any issues. Did you have to have your windshield reseated to correct the leak?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Good result. Only a minor hiccup so. Good luck in concluding the transaction.
Has anyone used this company for a Ferrari Windshield Replacement
<a href="http://fastwindshieldreplacementphoenix.com/windshield-replacement-scottsdale-az" target="_blank">Windshield Replacement Scottsdale AZ</a>

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode