348 or 355 as a first ferrari and why? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
348 or 355 as a first ferrari and why?

Hello every one.. It's my first post, and the only reason why I had the nerve to even post so soon is because i have been reading alot of the old posts for knowledge and read that some members wanted more threads, so I thought. Why not...

Very simple, I'm going to spend 100k to spoil myself when my alimony is up in about 1 year, so i'm starting to shop now.. One of the toys I have to buy is a Ferrari, I have pictured in my head everyday since I got hit with alimony payments. showing up at my ex's house to pick up my daughter in a red drop top Ferrari some things are worth looking forward to....

Now.. I absolutely love the 348 but i keep hearing and reading unkind things about it when compared to the 355... Is the 355 that much better than the 348...

I have been a fanatic about cars since the age of 5.. I even work with cars every day, and all i do is still read and watch shows about cars... It's a sickness of mine... and I'm counting down the days for this stupid financial burden that has been placed on me by an unfair judge to go away so I can continue to spoil myself..

Thanks for your help in my decision making...

Last edited by fredptbr; 04-07-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Fred- Welcome and thumbing your nose at your ex seems to be a worthwhile cause. Even better will be the big smiles on your daughter's face.

The F355 is really an updated 348 with a six speed transaxle and much more powerful five valve/cylinder engine. F355s are great cars and major problem areas have been valve guides and exhaust headers, problems not present in the 348. There tend to be more 348s with deferred maintenance than F355s because of the difference in price, but the odds of being handed a five figure repair bill are lower on the 348. Both are expensive to maintain, with engine out cambelt service required every 3-5 years.

There is a thread here by someone considering an F355 who changed his mind and went for a 348. Others went the other way. Luca's comments on the 348 are not to be taken seriously.

A good 348 or F355 will make you very happy. Bad ones will make you very unhappy, so choose the individual car carefully, regardless of model.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Welcome to FerrariLife Fred. I'm new on here as well and these guys give really great info on pretty much anything you wanna know.

Have you test driven any 355 or 348 before? Its really about personal preference and what you're willing to spend on the car and maintenance.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Ferrari Life Fred

Just be careful the ex or her lawyer has no claw backs because once you pull up in that Ferrari they are going to be looking for fresh skin.

Might want to consider the 360.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Fred- Forgot to mention, the F355 has power steering and the 348 does not. Advantages both ways. 348 owners love the steering feel.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Please drive both... You'll find some amazing differences in the feel of the car. That should be enough to help you make a decision between the 2.

Both are wonderful cars.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #7 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Wow... Awesome responses, and so quickly.. Thanks for the info guys..
Taz I thought it was the opposite way.. I thought the 355 had less maintenance needs. that's really why i'm considering it... but from what you tell me I'm wrong... I really hope that's the case... "hence the homework so early". Power steering is something to consider though...However if it was just on pure love I would take the 348 any day of the week... Just a gorgeous car...I know both of these cars require significant maintenance costs, which is ok, I really want the one that will be at the mechanic less times.. I don't have time for that...When you own a car that you can only drive a couple of times of year, because of weather or just schedules which i have both issues, the last thing you want is to get in it and not be able to enjoy it when you want it...

As far as the the lawye comment Champagne... I thought about that already... ALOT... I'll figure something out I don't care anymore... I need this....The 360 I like it, however I always thought Ferrari overpriced it for what they were offering. I don't want to piss off anybody on this forum.. but it wasn/t until Lambo came out with the Gallardo, that Ferrari decided to step up their game with the 430.. ... My humble opinion anyway...
post #8 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Fred- These are not simple cars. If you want something with less maintenance needs, 360s do not require engine out service every 3-5 years and the cambelts are changed through a panel in the interior. Prices are quite reasonable now and fit well under your price budget, as does the 550 and at least half the 575Ms. The F430 is even more maintenance free than the 360, with chains instead of cambelts, and is an evolution of the 360, with much commonality in the chassis and brakes.

The 348 probably does require more maintenance than an F355 because it is older, but it will not usually be break the bank kind of maintenance. An F355 with bad valve guides is an expensive proposition.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #9 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Taz.. I only want to spend around half that budget on the Ferrari, either that or i'll buy one of each.. Which I might just have to do..The way I look at they are free for me.. I'm just replacing my alimony payment and keeping it for the cars... And the cost of maintenance is not the issue, its the time the car will be away at the mechanic. The 360 is out of the question.. my passion is early to mid 90's cars... If I was to add any to the list of these two it would be the 456 or TR or even the Mondial...(but not likely)
post #10 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

So price range they are close....Looks, I'm for the 348, I think the 355 wins in the driver friendly and speed catagories... I don't see any other benefits to the 355 so far... I guess the earlier suggestion of just driving them both will make the rest of the difference.... And hoping I can find a gem when the time comes... I learned the value of PPI from you guys so definitly will have that done before any purchases...
post #11 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Owner

Disagree about 348 being more expensive to maintain than the 355. A properly sorted 355 will have nearly identical normal maintenance costs to a 348. Prices increase when you have to consider Guides, Headers, and F1 pumps. I suppose that could be chalked up to technology improvements and the increased performance curve but an increase none the less. I guess you could also add to the price for a 348 for unobtanium parts due to age or a gearbox rebuild but I don't think that falls under maintenance. There is a wealth of information available to 348 owners regarding equivalent parts used by other manufacturers and the list is growing for 355's

I really cannot stress enough to drive both cars. I promise, that will sway you. Note that the 348 suspension setup is critical to the cars performance. If you drive one that feels light and spooky near the higher end of speed, rest assured that can be adjusted. Many owners never really push the car and therefore never think about changes made necessary by wheel and tire size changes which is very common on the 348.

Where are you in NJ? I visit the northern part fairly regularly.

Lane

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 04-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys I actually had one more concern... The clutch feel in these cars.. are ok or super heavy.. is one better than the other?
post #13 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Owner

Early 348's had a twin plate clutch. Changed to single plate in 1990ish. Never drove one so I can't comment about that but...348 to 355 feel very similar to me. Not too hard or too soft, smooth and comfortable unless the pedal location bothers you. I wear a size 13 and have great difficulty in sneakers. drivers shoes are recommended due to pedal proximity to each other. FYI...it seems hard to find 355's with a stick.

Lane

post #14 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm in the Newark area.. And no the car will never be parked in Newark..lol... Thanks, smooth and comfortable is what I was hoping to hear... The last time I drove an older Italian sports car was a lamborghini Jalpa and when I finished I couldn't feel my left leg for 20 minutes... Sorry I work at a car dealer and am reading and writing between customers, so i'm rushing the questions and sound like i'm babling a bit..
post #15 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Owner

your doing fine...

I'm obviously a 348 owner. I love my car and I'm biased but don't let that trip you. The 355 is a great car and I'd probably own one if I wasn't so in love with the 348.

Ever get up to Lime Rock?

I have a client in Newark and another in Paterson.

Lane

post #16 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Lime Rock.. No... Newark almost daily... Paterson some times...
Yeah... I think its going to be about the individual car's quality that will make up my mind... because between the 2 models I won't be able to.. I believe the first great quality one I find that's what I will end up with. And i'm sure I will be happy. And then I'll just spend the money to make it great.. things such as the roof, seals, lights, rims and tires what ever it takes to make it a great car
post #17 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Owner

Good point....Another consideration is your height. If your looking for a Berlinetta you need to be of a more average stature. Anything over 6 feet can be a problem. I'm 6'2" and love the TS variety but the roof leaks as do all TS models. Not much of a problem for me because I rarely drive her in questionable weather and I have a folding canvas roof for those surprise attacks. Spider models are fine but I'm not crazy about the body lines with the roof up.

Are you a DIY wrench man or do you send your cars to a trusted man for everything?

Lane

post #18 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredptbr View Post
Sorry guys I actually had one more concern... The clutch feel in these cars.. are ok or super heavy.. is one better than the other?
The clutch on the 355 is not much heavier than my mini-cooper (I haven't noticed much difference in the feel between the two). That said, clutch effort would be moderate, but not light. It certainly is not heavy.

I just got a 355, and I both love it and hate it at the same time... perhaps because I was wrenching on it yesterday. Driving the 355, it's just stunning on the street. If you want a driver, an every day driver, I think the 355 wins this contest, just barely, for a number of reasons.

Ever parallel parked without power steering?
The 6 speed is great transmission, I personally like the flexibility of a 6 speed box.
The car will have less age on it... even working with 15 yr old exhaust bolts yesterday was frustrating.
It's a great car to drive... totally livable as a car you can drive on most roads. The suspension when not in sport mode is completely docile, yet sporty enough to get moderately aggressive in turns.

Downsides.

If you don't do your own maintenance, the 348 is the better choice. Having a shop do your major service on a 355 is an expensive proposition. DIY, costs are pretty comparable. The exhaust header on the 355 is JUNK. If you buy one, make sure it's replaced or subtract the cost from the price you are willing to pay. I am replacing my headers this month, cost $3000+ my own labor to do the job... and it doesn't look like it will be much fun.

Both cars have things that can and will go wrong. The big one on the F355 is the exhaust system failing in a way that it thrashes the rest of the motor as the ECU attempts to compensate for the failure.

Mark
post #19 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredptbr View Post
my passion is early to mid 90's cars... If I was to add any to the list of these two it would be the 456 or TR or even the Mondial...(but not likely)
i guess as what everyone told me not too long, drive them all......i at one point had only test driven the 355s and thought that had to be the model for my first F-car.....and guess what,i then test drove the 348 and the 360 (and actually a 550 as well in the process but here we pay yearly road tax based on the engine capacity of the car and a 5Litre's tax is about 3times more annually than a 3.4-3.6L and i struck the V12s out!) i went the 348 way......loved the 360 as well and did't see a point in the 355.......as i'v always said, that's just me....so start testing them all...you've got one whole year to decide.....

Last edited by bikz; 04-08-2012 at 05:31 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, valuable info. As far as doing things myself, that's out of the question.. I don't have the knowledge nor the time to spend on a car.
The power steering is certainly something to consider, since you can't always be on the open road, and sometimes you will be in stop and go traffic. I think comfort has to be a part of the overall driving experience.. Lets face it i'm not gonna race the damb thing.lol. So I'm not looking for the tightest handling or stiffest suspention. Only joy rides to melt the stress away..
Great comparison with the Mini, that gives me a good idea already...
But you guys are right, got to drive them to make up my mind...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode