Considering buying a F430 coupe - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Considering buying a F430 coupe

Hello to everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. Seems like a very helpful and friendly place.

Just a little background information. I am a international student studying in indiana. This is my only chance to own cars like this as back home they are way more expensive and wont be practical as the roads are rubbish. I am currently driving a 08 Mercedes CL 63 amg.

I am contemplating buy a Ferrari F430 coupe and plan to own it for about a year. I love cars and have always dreamed of owning a ferrari. The reason I am looking at F430's is because I want something hardcore and not "GT" like. I have seen a few cars and love the look and feel of the 430's.

I am currently looking at a 05 F430 with about 17,000 miles. The car is located at continental autosports in Hinsdale, IL.

What do you guys think ? Would a car with so many miles require minimal maintenance or should I look at a car with less miles on it ? Also do i need to get a PPI done since the car is at a official dealership ? What are other things to look out for ?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to Ferrari Life Sidewinder.

05 F430 with 17,000 miles, so an average of 3,500 per year, I don't think that is excessive and shows that it has been used and not left sitting idle, which can be just as worrying.

Even though the car is in a dealer, I would probably still have a PPI carried out for peace of mind.

Feel free to post a link to the car in question.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Funny thing is I was just looking at that car yesterday on their website because it looked like a pretty good deal. Barry is correct. Unless the car is Ferrari certified with a warranty, a PPI is a good investment.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Sounds good. Do you have sales tax there? That would be my biggest problem in CA. Cost me 11k just to register at dmv.

Maintenance shouldnt be bad for only a year as long as f1 pump doesnt go out or the headers if not already replaced.

Figure maybe 10k for depreciation - just a guess of course.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

Here is the link to the car in question :

Continental AutoSports | 2005 Ferrari F430 F1Coupe Vehicle Details | Ferrari Dealer | Maserati Dealer | Hinsdale | Illinois | Used Exotic Cars | Vintage Race Cars | Chicago Area

Where should i get a PPI done cause asking the dealer to do one would not be very smart right ?

Looking at other threads there are a few shops around the chicago area such as Euroquipe and auto something (dont remember the name exactly) .

I was looking at a car for sale on Ebay and it had a picture of the clutch wear , which was calculated by measuring the gap ? Can that be done in a PPI cause my major concern is the clutch.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeOh View Post
Sounds good. Do you have sales tax there? That would be my biggest problem in CA. Cost me 11k just to register at dmv.

Maintenance shouldnt be bad for only a year as long as f1 pump doesnt go out or the headers if not already replaced.

Figure maybe 10k for depreciation - just a guess of course.
Indiana has 7% sales tax so it cost me around 8-9k on tax.

10K seems like a more reasonable figure cause the dealer said it will be around 15-20k for a year if i drive less than 5000 miles which seems a to be a little to high.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Make sure the shop that does the PPI has an SD3 or equivalent and they can read an estimate of clutch wear using that tool. I am unaware of any other way to check clutch wear without removal. Brian? The shop doing the PPI can then run a battery of SD3 checks to see if anything is amiss in addition to the other tests (compression, leak-down, etc).

Lake Forest is the other authorized dealership if they do PPIs.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Owner

That looks nice and at a fair price. Good luck!
post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Hello to everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. Seems like a very helpful and friendly place.

Just a little background information. I am a international student studying in indiana. This is my only chance to own cars like this as back home they are way more expensive and wont be practical as the roads are rubbish. I am currently driving a 08 Mercedes CL 63 amg.

I am contemplating buy a Ferrari F430 coupe and plan to own it for about a year. I love cars and have always dreamed of owning a ferrari. The reason I am looking at F430's is because I want something hardcore and not "GT" like. I have seen a few cars and love the look and feel of the 430's.

I am currently looking at a 05 F430 with about 17,000 miles. The car is located at continental autosports in Hinsdale, IL.

What do you guys think ? Would a car with so many miles require minimal maintenance or should I look at a car with less miles on it ? Also do i need to get a PPI done since the car is at a official dealership ? What are other things to look out for ?

Thank you for your help.
Why only a year? Pretty crazy money losing idea for only 1 year? Have you driven one yet, if not, maybe a few trips to Vegas and the Exotic's Racing Experience might be a better value.

If you want hardcore, there are a few Scuderia's that should be around the 150k mark, with 10K miles and higher. There are a few on Autotrader.com. Much more hardcore car.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
Why only a year? Pretty crazy money losing idea for only 1 year? Have you driven one yet, if not, maybe a few trips to Vegas and the Exotic's Racing Experience might be a better value.

If you want hardcore, there are a few Scuderia's that should be around the 150k mark, with 10K miles and higher. There are a few on Autotrader.com. Much more hardcore car.
The reason i want to own the car for a year only is because i would like to then sell it and get something else , well thats the plan for now if i absolutely love it ill keep it . I have driven this car before and have also done racing experiences in the uk , thats the reason i wanted to buy a ferrari in the first place. Another reason i wanted to buy the car is the experience of owning a ferrari and living with it on a daily basis, like i said it i love cars and owning a ferrari is a dream come true.

By hardcore i meant in comparison to my current car. F430 is hardcore enough compared to my car, i am still searching for different cars out there and have yet to drive a Scuderia. But there are none in my area for the 150K mark all the Scuds i can see are 200k+

Do you feel if i plan to own a ferrari for a year i should get the Scud instead of the regular f430 is the price difference justified ?
post #11 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Owner

Maybe you could get a CS?

Similar price to the 430 and I don't think you will have as much depreciation as a scud. Heck, it may even increase slightly in a year.

It is also more raw than a 430.

Something to think about.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
If you plan to own it one year and trade up, I agree with FourThree, you might also want to look at a 360 CS. You can find one in your range and probably even save a bit.

Ferrari : 360 Ferrari : 360 | eBay
post #13 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Took the plunge and bought my self an 06 F430 in red with about 23000 miles on it , It has a brand new clutch and a novitec exhaust on it . I have had the car for a week and absolutely love it .

Thanks alot for all your help.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

H- Congratulations. How about some photos?

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #15 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Save ya'll the trouble

noticed you posted this elsewhere: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/me...o-indiana.html

congrats on the 'new' 430

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode