f430 Spyder vs. Coupe and Color - Resale Value - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
f430 Spyder vs. Coupe and Color - Resale Value

OK, so I'm learning a lot from my other posts, so let me continue to try to pry information out of you all. I originally was looking at a black coupe, but was told by a Ferrari enthusiast in South Florida that has bought and sold many Ferraris that I should focus on a red Spyder for resale value. So I want to try to gain from the wealth of experience here . . .

I obviously like how Sypders look with the top down, but don't like them nearly as much with the top up. So that has me thinking that I should focus on a couple. I am also on the fence about color. For the purposes of considering resale a couple/few years down the road, what is my best bet in terms of Spyder vs. Coupe and color choices? I do see an awful lof of Red Spyders out there for sale, and many of those listings have been around for several months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Do a search of the term "Resale Red" You'll find a wealth of posts discussing color vs resale.

Coupes and Spiders appeal to two distinct market segments. Spiders are generally more expensive, but the depreciation curve is about the same for both.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Eh, buy the color you want... If you are buying a Ferrari for it's resale value, it's my opinion that you are going about it the wrong way.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Can I ask how old you are - my guess 21 tops.

What other cars do you own?

No offense and my apologies if I am wrong - but your posts don't represent someone capable of buying a 150k Ferrari like you have represented.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #5 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Can I ask how old you are - my guess 21 tops.

What other cars do you own?

No offense and my apologies if I am wrong - but your posts don't represent someone capable of buying a 150k Ferrari like you have represented.
No offense taken. But do me a favor, and now YOU don't take any offense at my response.

I'm 41 years old. I live in Miami, and I am the senior partner of a multi-state (NY, DC, and FL) busines law firm. My posts are because I plan out EVERY purchase I make, including entry and exit strategies. Please explain how that would make me seem younger, rather than an older, jaded SOB that has seen far too many people make the mistake of not planning enough. As far as income, I hope you'll understand why I'll choose not to post my income. Just assume, if you will, that I will be able to handle the cost of the purchase and what I expect to be the costs of upkeep. [I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how anything I've written would give you an OUNCE of a clue about my age or finances, so please enlighten me if you could].

I currently own a 2010 Mercedes S550 and a 2006 Mercedes CLK convertible. I've never owned a Ferrari before, and I'm both excited at the idea and concerned about educating myself about the pros and cons before making the jump. There is no purchase on the planet, in an of itself, that is so magical to me that I fail to consider the consequences. If you'd suggest otherwise, then I'd probably wonder your age and income . . . because I represent folks all over the country that are in a bad spot because they failed to do their homework. Strangely enough, a couple of them live in St. Louis (where I was born), so it's not a regional thing.

When the process is all said and done, maybe I'll be so in love with my Ferrari that I'll make all decisions in the future based upon my newfound euphoria. Once that happens, then I'll join the ranks of the members of this Forum that continue to subtly insult me (ie, "choose the color you like, and any other consideration - such as resale - is improper"). In the meanwhile, bear with me a little while I do my homework. You guys are a rough crowd.

Last edited by mdhunter; 04-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
No offense taken. But do me a favor, and now YOU don't take any offense at my response.

I'm 41 years old. I live in Miami, and I am the senior partner of a multi-state (NY, DC, and FL) busines law firm. My posts are because I plan out EVERY purchase I make, including entry and exit strategies. Please explain how that would make me seem younger, rather than an older, jaded SOB that has seen far too many people make the mistake of not planning enough. As far as income, I hope you'll understand why I'll choose not to post my income. Just assume, if you will, that I will be able to handle the cost of the purchase and what I expect to be the costs of upkeep. [I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how anything I've written would give you an OUNCE of a clue about my age or finances, so please enlighten me if you could].

I currently own a 2010 Mercedes S550 and a 2006 Mercedes CLK convertible. I've never owned a Ferrari before, and I'm both excited at the idea and concerned about educating myself about the pros and cons before making the jump. There is no purchase on the planet, in an of itself, that is so magical to me that I fail to consider the consequences. If you'd suggest otherwise, then I'd probably wonder your age and income . . . because I represent folks all over the country that are in a bad spot because they failed to do their homework. Strangely enough, a couple of them live in St. Louis (where I was born), so it's not a regional thing.

When the process is all said and done, maybe I'll be so in love with my Ferrari that I'll make all decisions in the future based upon my newfound euphoria. Once that happens, then I'll join the ranks of the members of this Forum that continue to subtly insult me (ie, "choose the color you like, and any other consideration - such as resale - is improper"). In the meanwhile, bear with me a little with me a little bit while I do my homework. You guys are a rough crowd.

I am all for helping a real buyer and fellow member.

We began this with an 09 then you went to an 07 asking price 139 and offered 100.

This is all off the top of my head so I could be wrong and your income was never asked.

You have to realize if there are 100 owners here and you are trying to lower the market by fishing and making offers 30% below market that's collectively a 3.9 million dollar hit to those owners based on your offer of 100 on a 139 car.

Everyone wants a good deal as I took recently 7 months and ended with up a 16M.

I just turned 50 and my wife is from Miami age 40 and I promise you I am not in a bad spot as I own and manage over 4 million sf all performing properties some even in Florida.

I think if you would have represented yourself as you just did in some form my assuming bad self would have never questioned your abilities or means.

But again when someone is bottom fishing it's more of an insult to the forum than what I asked - IMO.

Hopefully you accept my apologies and again I am more than willing to help out.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #7 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I am all for helping a real buyer and fellow member.

We began this with an 09 then you went to an 07 asking price 139 and offered 100.

This is all off the top of my head so I could be wrong and your income was never asked.

You have to realize if there are 100 owners here and you are trying to lower the market by fishing and making offers 30% below market that's collectively a 3.9 million dollar hit to those owners based on your offer of 100 on a 139 car.

Everyone wants a good deal as I took recently 7 months and ended with up a 16M.

I just turned 50 and my wife is from Miami age 40 and I promise you I am not in a bad spot as I own and manage over 4 million sf all performing properties some even in Florida.

I think if you would have represented yourself as you just did in some form my assuming bad self would have never questioned your abilities or means.

But again when someone is bottom fishing it's more of an insult to the forum than what I asked - IMO.

Hopefully you accept my apologies and again I am more than willing to help out.
I didn't say more about myself because there's nothing I dislike more than some lawyer who comes on a public forum and talks about himself. :-) Plus, I'm a neophyte about all this stuff . . . so I'm here to do more listening and less talking.

If you have a portfolio of performing properties, in FLORIDA of all places, then you're obviously doing something right. It does seem to me that a real estate investor, who specifically has to focus on entry and exit strategies, would have found some sort of reason in my questions, though. I'm sure that, if you are able to pick up a building or unit at well below market value, you jump on it . . . and don't contemplate that you're going to somehow wreck the overall market for all other property owners (since no one isolated sale can do that). My thoughts are the same about finding a good Ferrari bargain. The notion that I'll cost this Form anything "collectively" seems to be a bit of a stretch.

In any event, no harm no foul and I'm sure you have a lot of wisdom about Ferraris that I'd love to learn. Regards.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Owner

My .02

I bought my 612 at the only exotic dealer in Boca - so it's easy to figure out who it is.
Had a lawyer friend check it out who had done business with them for years. I bought it and wired the money in full the next business day. The following day I was making arrangements for shipping and they didn't answer the phone.

Took me a few thousand in legal fees my time and 3 weeks later got the car shipped from the bank and the title another 3 weeks. I was told the car had tubi and turned out it was a HGTC 20k extra. I got lucky and didn't have any knowledge prior to my purchase.

My point is it's better to have a good relationship when buying a Ferrari and most of all knowing everything about the car and any deferred maintenance.

Saving 20k will most likely cost you 30k and a lot of frustrations.

CRE is what I do for a living - a Ferrari is my reward.

Last note - I didn't say it would cost the forum I said it's perceived as an insult to the owners who are all willing to help as they do have skin in the game.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #9 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post

When the process is all said and done, maybe I'll be so in love with my Ferrari that I'll make all decisions in the future based upon my newfound euphoria. Once that happens, then I'll join the ranks of the members of this Forum that continue to subtly insult me (ie, "choose the color you like, and any other consideration - such as resale - is improper"). In the meanwhile, bear with me a little while I do my homework. You guys are a rough crowd.
Not trying to insult you, not even subtly. What I was trying to communicate is that you should not be too hung up on resale unless you have really horrendous tastes (reminding me of a hideous white 360 with a horrid green interior). If your tastes are moderately mainstream however, most of the colors will sell reasonably well. While it's true that some colors are more popular than others, when you step into a reasonably new Ferrari you're gonna get hit with a steep depreciation regardless of the color.

That's just the way it is. Resale is important to some extent, for instance if you asked about resale values on a Mondial, then I might be concerned for you. However the difference in resale between Red/Tan and most of the other traditional colors is probably noise. I can only speak for myself, but I would have considered any mainstream color in my price range while shopping, I was looking for the best car at a given price point. Whether it had been Red, Yellow, Blue, or Black did not much matter to me. Other considerations were more important.

Good luck on your hunt. I wouldn't shy away from Black over Red though... I just can't see it being that big of a deal. That said, I picked a red one over the black one that initially inspired my recent purchase.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Don't take it personal Hunter, but Champagne was getting the impression many of us were. Your posts are very similar in some respects to posters called "Trolls". Trolls usually end up not being serious and waste members time.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
I think the wrong impression was made because you are just coming across very financially oriented. Instead of focusing on your passion and love for the cars, it is all about finding the cheapest cars without insulting the owners and now it is about buying one already looking at your exit strategy.

It is hard to truely enjoy a car like this purely focused on $$$$. They are a depreciating asset and they will cost you money. Don't obsess on that - you will tear yourself up and never truely enjoy your car. You will not take trips because it will cost x amount. You won't get the color YOU want because their aren't as many future owners.

Buy the car for yourself, not the next guy. If you are buying a 430 and spending 150k plus and keeping it for a few years, it will cost you most likely around $50k. If you are comfortable with that, then buy the car that most stirs your soul at the correct market value.

Last edited by FourThreeOh; 04-02-2012 at 12:17 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Owner

What was that saying, not putting miles on your Ferrari to preserve its value is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she will be more desirable for the next man.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Don't take it personal Hunter, but Champagne was getting the impression many of us were. Your posts are very similar in some respects to posters called "Trolls". Trolls usually end up not being serious and waste members time.
+1 Killer, you hit the mark.

Hunter, now that we know a little more, glad to have you here. I have a line on a 430 Spider that I was going to purchase (trade in my 360, TR + cash) but the guy doesn't want to deal and he's asking $170k.

If you are bottom feeding, good for you. However, if the deal appears to be too good, run, don't walk.
You lawyers have a term for it: Caveat Emptor.

Good-luck on your quest and welcome to the Life!

We have at least one active attorney w/a TR on the forum and he's a pretty nice and helpful guy.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
+1 Killer, you hit the mark.

Hunter, now that we know a little more, glad to have you here. I have a line on a 430 Spider that I was going to purchase (trade in my 360, TR + cash) but the guy doesn't want to deal and he's asking $170k.

If you are bottom feeding, good for you. However, if the deal appears to be too good, run, don't walk.
You lawyers have a term for it: Caveat Emptor.

Good-luck on your quest and welcome to the Life!

We have at least one active attorney w/a TR on the forum and he's a pretty nice and helpful guy.
Curious what year and miles?

I was looking at two 430 spiders 08 5k & 6k miles at a local dealer 180 & 184 both sold 173 & 180k.

Original list was 280 & 285 - my guess is dealer had 7% profit tops.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #15 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
At the back of the mind of every person who purchases an automobile which is new is that the worth is going to drop after a few years. But well, there are a number of cars that keep their value reasonably well and Edmunds has just released a list of new cars that should hold their value well. you can get more information at: Edmunds releases list of new cars that hold resale value well .
post #16 of 18 Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Andy- Welcome to Ferrari Life.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 80
You're buying a Ferrari, so screw what other people tell you. If you're spending that kind of money, get what you want. If you want a pink one, go for it. But yes, if you're worried about resale, red is your best bet, and probably a Spider. All Ferraris should be red anyway
post #18 of 18 Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
MDHunter and Andy welcome to FL.

Great place to start, really, and I don't know if you've viewed the buyer's guide etc, but expecting that is already done to some respect.

Resale is really in these models about condition, condition and then all the resst as to color and etc.

It can look great on typical but if one needs to dig into one's pocket to make it good, then all the 'resale colors' will not equate to a good recovery. Really, no joke there. Pick the BEST model you can in terms of condition. THEN decide which you would like to drive in, and it can be red. Or, whatever. Many can argue about color combos and I will NEVER buy a black/nero or such color as I live in a hot climate [well, sometimes] and hate the washing etc.

white kind of gets me there too....so there we go, My pref. is classic colors for the 12's and something not so typical for the two seaters...then again my bio states RESALE Red on both....go figure.

MD: The best thing about your post I see is your in the hunt and not only is that a hair wrenching process but a delightful one when done. I'm not driving your car, but would probably believe your selections are more main stream and not like said before, purple with yellow stictching or blue jean interior or the like soooo, your selection would fit into my "ok, that's a good one" scenario.

Good luck. Post some of your desires, and questions on what you see and I'm sure we'll have good response.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode