f430 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
f430 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009

I'm new to this Forum and this is my first post. I've been looking at f430s for several months now, and am very near to making a purchase (will be my first Ferrari). I'm trying to decide whether to get a 2007, 2008, or 2009. They obviously look similar, but I plan on selling again in a couple years and am trying to not get killed on resale any worse than necessary.

I'd like to hear some opinions as to whether I should go for the 2009, pay a litle more, and possibly get some better features, or simply go for the 2007 (or 2008) since it's my first Ferrari and I'll arguably be easier to impress. Any opinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Ferrari Life.

There are a few threads that covered the changes and upgrades.

I would go for as new as possible - 09 offers some warranty and peace of mind.

Feel free to post the cars you are looking at for background information.

The depreciation will reflect todays current prices of what you buy.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Welcome to the forum Hunter.

Since you state resale as a concern, there is also a case to be made for an 07 and it's further progression on the depreciation curve.

However, when it came to my own purchase, I had Doug's point of view for the peace of mind aspect. I figured a newer car would have less wear and thereby fewer possible issues.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
In 2008, carbon ceramic brakes became standard on all Ferrari models across the board; that's the same year when Ferrari deleted the key hole from the passenger's side door too.

Your plan to buy one and then sell it in a few years is destined to deplete some of your funds no matter how you do it, so consider that before you make a decision. You can buy a cheap car that hasn't been serviced, and drive it a few years; but you'll need to service it before you sell it, or you'll you'll have to sell it even cheaper than for what you paid. You can spend more on a car that's been recently serviced, drive it for a few and then sell it; but you'll still lose money because it will have been a few years since its last service.

Why are you planning to sell it in a few years when you don't even own it yet?

I need an Aventador!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome. The answer to what differences are below. To work through them yourself, go to Ricambi's onsite parts catalogs and go through it page by page.

Too many changes for a simple summary. The big change for 2008 was standard CCMs and TPMS on US cars, optional before that. A CTEK battery charger also became standard.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/mo...tml#post183642

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 03-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
If you are buying an F1, the gear change is both faster and a bit harsher on the 08/09 vs earlier models.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
I'd buy a 2008 onwards, in fact I just did....

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
In 2008, carbon ceramic brakes became standard on all Ferrari models across the board; that's the same year when Ferrari deleted the key hole from the passenger's side door too.

Your plan to buy one and then sell it in a few years is destined to deplete some of your funds no matter how you do it, so consider that before you make a decision. You can buy a cheap car that hasn't been serviced, and drive it a few years; but you'll need to service it before you sell it, or you'll you'll have to sell it even cheaper than for what you paid. You can spend more on a car that's been recently serviced, drive it for a few and then sell it; but you'll still lose money because it will have been a few years since its last service.

Why are you planning to sell it in a few years when you don't even own it yet?
I'm planning to start with kids in a couple years, and I just figure that I'll enjoy the car for a couple years and then sell it when it's time to grow up. That's really the only reason. I just figure that, if I change my mind, I can always decide to keep it . . . I just usually go into auto purchases with an exit strategy.

The reason I'm here on this Forum, though, is to be told if I'm off somehow with my reasoning. So don't be shy about schooling me.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
I'm planning to start with kids in a couple years, and I just figure that I'll enjoy the car for a couple years and then sell it when it's time to grow up. That's really the only reason. I just figure that, if I change my mind, I can always decide to keep it . . . I just usually go into auto purchases with an exit strategy.

The reason I'm here on this Forum, though, is to be told if I'm off somehow with my reasoning. So don't be shy about schooling me.
Reasoning is the operative word here, as there is no real reason or rationale to a Ferrari acquisition. Such an endeavor is the antithesis of practicality and parsimony. Ergo, approaching this with that frame of mind will only result in headaches - either now, or later, or now and later. With your intentions now clearly laid, give this a try: ask yourself, "Self, is it worth it to me to throw away anywhere from $10-50K on something that will bring me great personal satisfaction for the next couple of years?"

Can you afford to hemorrhage that much? Is it your life savings or your kids' college fund? Or is it simply a dent in you're savings? If it's not that big a deal, eat the loss and chalk up to an unforgettable experience.

But don't approach it with practicality, because there's nothing practical about buying, owning or driving a Ferrari. It IS, however, one of the most amazing experiences with which you can possibly enhance your life.

I need an Aventador!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
I just figure that I'll enjoy the car for a couple years and then sell it when it's time to grow up. That's really the only reason. I just figure that, if I change my mind, I can always decide to keep it .

So don't be shy about schooling me.

OK, no offense intended, but you asked:

One of the most recognizable and coveted symbols on the planet and you’re going to try one for a lark? And maybe keep it after you grow up?! To me, that sentiment is the worst possible reason for buying a Ferrari.

The 430 is still depreciating. If they follow the typical depreciation trend (no reason they won't), you’re going to lose another 10-15% of the purchase price during your ownership. Five years from now they'll settle just above 360 prices. Add to that the yearly maintenance (driven or not) and as 134282 says, you're looking at around $40K just for membership dues in the Ownership Club. And that may be the low end.

If that is truly your reasoning, please spare yourself, and us, the unhappy ending. Just buy a high-end Porsche instead.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
If you can afford the loss go for it. I spend less on a Ferrari then a friend spanks away on child care. Life is full of choices, if you do get one and it makes your day just to turn the key make sure at some point you make some one else's day to
post #12 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Take the plunge and dive, only if you are able to swallow it! But I guarantee that once you are on a Ferrari, you will regret you have not done it earlier... that was my personal experience anyway

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode