Scud vs CS - confused - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
Scud vs CS - confused

I have been looking for some weeks for a CS. Have had a few problems finding a straight car at reasonable price. Decided to consider Scuds as well, as newer and hopefully easier to find a good one. Have seen one at local F dealer. Picture attached if the upload works. Car has 24'000 km, which is more than most, but price reflects that and I think those are mostly motorway miles.

B***** hell the scud is quick! I really enjoyed it. Steering felt better than the CS (although to be fair I have only had two short drives in the CS and today I had about 2 hours by myself in the Scud). However, CS sounds better to me and looks better too (although Scud not shabby).

I am seeing a black CS on Wednesday. Have been waiting almost two months to see it. Has only 800 km.

Now not at all sure what to do. The CS appeals as being rawer, better sounding and better looking than the Scud. I also think that as fewer made and low km that perhaps better investment (accountant head talking there!).

However, Scud the faster car. Was also surprisingly civilised when not driven hard. And newer tech plus power warranty and fact that car has been driven regularly (as opposed to 800 km CS) could mean fewer problems. But think that value of Scud likely to drop more.

In short, arguments for both and I am completely confused. Help!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
If it was me, I would buy the Scuderia.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
If it was me, I would buy the Scuderia.
If I had to guess what you'd get between the two, I would've guessed the Stradale. Considering your collection, I'm interested in why you'd take the Scuderia over the CS.

I need an Aventador!

post #4 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Depends what you are looking for - cant go wrong but you can go a heck if a lot faster with one vs the other.

I think without the by pass valve the Scud is too quiet and boring - but with the flip of a switch it's out of this world.

Scud all the way!
post #5 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Schnellmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Depends what you are looking for - cant go wrong but you can go a heck if a lot faster with one vs the other.

I think without the by pass valve the Scud is too quiet and boring - but with the flip of a switch it's out of this world.

Scud all the way!
Sorry for being ignorant but how do you bypass the valve?

post #6 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
SM- There are three ways: 1) Rig a hard switch in the cockpit that stops the vaccuum from reaching the pneumatic valves by overriding the bypass solenoid. 2) Use a Capristo remote control relay that allows you to select whether the Motronic ECU or the remote determines when to open the valves. 3) Disconnect and plug the vacuum lines going to the pneumatic valves from the bypass solenoid.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
SM- There are three ways: 1) Rig a hard switch in the cockpit that stops the vaccuum from reaching the pneumatic valves by overriding the bypass solenoid. 2) Use a Capristo remote control relay that allows you to select whether the Motronic ECU or the remote determines when to open the valves. 3) Disconnect and plug the vacuum lines going to the pneumatic valves from the bypass solenoid.
That will do it.

Also - there is an extra space for a switch on the left panel next to the steering wheel.

Fits perfectly - even though it will never be used.

If the wife doesn't get home too late from the horse show I will post the two notes tonight.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Owner

Hope this works - wife doesn't love exhaust smell so it's from a few feet back.

1000 - 3000 rpm's

IMG_1237.MOV - YouTube
post #9 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Doug- Great demo of the differences. Plus the reason it is good to have it selectable.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Doug- Great demo of the differences. Plus the reason it is good to have it selectable.
Thanks Terry - firing the videographer the Ferrari signs didn't make it in the shot til 46 seconds.

She handed me the iphone and said - why does it matter if you aren't moving.

I don't sit on my horse and act like I'm riding - LOL women!
post #11 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Hope this works - wife doesn't love exhaust smell so it's from a few feet back.

1000 - 3000 rpm's

IMG_1237.MOV - YouTube
Excellent demo, thanks. Sorry to abate a little from the thread ....but what is the car to the right of the Scud...?!
post #12 of 23 Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 134282 View Post
If I had to guess what you'd get between the two, I would've guessed the Stradale. Considering your collection, I'm interested in why you'd take the Scuderia over the CS.
Since I drove 212 Export's in the Alps, I have had a major soft spot for the Scud.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Excellent demo, thanks. Sorry to abate a little from the thread ....but what is the car to the right of the Scud...?!
Austin Healey 100?

Regarding the OP's original question: I don't think it's possible for us to give you the right answer, you'll have to make the choice yourself. I haven't driven the CS but I have the Scud and I love both machines. I prefer the Scud's exterior but I really like the CS as well.

I would base the decision not on speed but on feel. Both cars are more than plenty to lose your license with, so how important is going faster than the CS? I think it's better to decide if you think the CS feels good enough for you (for instance: is the slower gearbox an issue? How is traction coming out of hairpin corners? Is there significant better or worse feel on bumpy roads?) and then you have a pretty depreciation proof choice. If it isn't, then the Scud should be your choice.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong either way.

I have to say that the CS that is in the Carrs of Exeter showroom made me want to scratch that itch. Sliding windows version, fantastic. Too bad the English always make the passenger drive them around....

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

Last edited by JazzyO; 03-26-2012 at 12:44 AM.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Schnellmann

Following on from this post I went to see a perfect condition CS in Rosso Scuderia. Had a pretty decent drive, including a wonderful, long and windy road up into the hills near Basel.

At first it did feel a litte gutless compared to the Scud I drove yesterday. In the Scud in town I found I could go straight into 2nd as soon as the car was moving but in the CS it almost stalled when I tried the same. Similarly, the CS didn't feel like it has anywhere near as much torque as had to drop down the gears to get similar amounts of acceleration. Not that that was too much of a pain because of the noise!

It was obvious that the Scud is better in many ways and more useable.

Having said that: I loved the CS! The sound is fabulous. Quite different to my ears from the Scud. And on that mountain road it didn't feel slow. I was having a really good time (hope the salesman was ).

I know that the Scud is faster but both are already far too fast for Swiss roads so perhaps a bit academic.

If I can find a good CS at an acceptable price I think I will stick with my original plan and get the CS. I could then change to a Scud at a later date, if I want to.

Will see the black CS on Wednesday and then rethink.

post #15 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
I know these roads well. They are wonderful to test, first a little Autobahn to warm up, them the hilly partially forrest roads and back over the Autobahn to Basel. Great testing area. I'm glad you enjoyed it. There is nothing comparable than testing the cars by your own for at least 40 km's !
post #16 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post

Thanks - it's a Healey 3000 that I began restoring 5 years ago to convert into a rally racer.

Alloy head / hard top / Talbot mirrors / Lucas lamps / Triple Webers everything you can imagine has been bought from Dennis Welch or hunted down on e-bay for the conversion.

After the bodywork the car exhausted me and has been sitting as garage art
post #17 of 23 Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Thanks - it's a Healey 3000
Considering only the side of the car is visible I'm giving myself 10 out of 10 for my guess.

@OP - good review, nice to see you go through an enjoyable decision-making process. The best thing about Ferraris is that each model has their own feel. An older one isn't a worse car, it can even be a better car for you. So you need to take them each on their merit and then decide. I'm sure the test drives are no hardship! Enjoy the lovely weather, too!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #18 of 23 Old 04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
I think you are getting it. The CS sounds better and (to many) looks better/more sensual.

The scud kicks the CS's ass in performance. Period.

But then, how many really drive at 7/10th ever, let alone 8, 9 or 10/10ths?

I have had my CS for a year, and am growing more fond of it every day. I recently went all the way to the alter to marry a Scud and ditch the CS...but couldn't do it! That said, I think your realization that you can always get a CS now and then change to a Scud in the future is exactly the thought that won the day with me last year when I was deciding on the CS vs. Scud the first time.

Finally, I read that you were looking at an 800km CS. I have to say you should think very carefully about that. For two reasons. First, as you will read on the internet from far more experienced folks than me, essentially not being used for 8 years is a very, very (very!) bad thing! Second, it will be the "garage art" CS. By that I mean, the CS is a marginal (as in maybe someday) collectable (time will tell). And, when you own one, many folks fall prey to the trap of "not wanting to use it as it was intended" because they don't want a rock chip or a sand blemish on the windscreen or whatever. I am glad I got a 13k mile example and I drive it like it was intended as often as possible. Be careful, if you get a low mileage "collector" CS you may not want to enjoy it. If, OTOH, you are looking for a peice of garage art, then by all means there you go...
post #19 of 23 Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

AI- Done deed. He bought the 800 km CS. Check his other threads.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #20 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 72
Quote:
AI- Done deed. He bought the 800 km CS. Check his other threads.
Thanks Terry...yes I figured that out this morning...he had a lot of threads going and I hadn't yet seen the deed is done...she is a beauty too! Looks like he is going to drive it putting 400km on the first day - heck that increases its mileage by 50%...amazing that it only got 60 miles per year for the first eight years of its life...so long as the rubber bits are recently checked/freshened and fluids and filters changed (I'd change the plugs too) recently it should be a good one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode