Late '89 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Late '89

Hi people, I'm looking to purchase a late '89 - 328 GTS, the car has its original paint color, rossa red, red carpets with black seats, very neat.

Vin# 83002 if i remember correctly

should I be worried about the paint ? the car shines, has no rust or dents/scratches but car is almost 22 years old ?

she starts up nicely, no smoke, Tubi exhaust fitted - just sounds awesome...and no cat converter...the current owner is cool and really took care of the car, when I drove with him the other day he waited for the oil temp to come up before he increased the revs and he's very gentle on the gears...

the wheels, tyres looks neat, all electrics still in working order. Electric windows fast ! I'm very impressed.

New Aircon compressor and disc brakes replaced (had hairline cracks )

All documentation are in place, Full service history and documentation - got the original tools / pouches etc.

He's got the car for over 10 years and only drove 13000 km, I'm a bit worried about not driving it enough since the car only done 26 000 km

I'd like some inputs. Photo's coming up soon !

thanks
Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Make sure you get a PPI done on it before purchasing.
post #3 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I'm not quite sure why you are asking if you should worry about the paint? Is there something specific wrong with it?

If the car is well cared for, the paint lasts for many decades. There is no actual expiry date for paint.

As for mileage - not low enough to guarantee a problem but the main thing is: has the current owner run it regularly? Especially the last three years - if it has run regularly, say at least 1000 - 1500 kms a year, and well serviced, then it should be fine.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 138
No reason to worry, this all sounds like a good start. You have checked all the basics and everything looks good. Now is the time that you enlist the help of an expert to find the less obvious flaws. If that fails to turn up anything significant, then you have an excellent chance of having found the right car for a purchase.

The key is not necessarily perfection, but a clear idea of what you are buying... the price will naturally reflect the condition. The better the documentation and condition, the higher the price generally. A low price on a car like the one you describe would give me pause and make me look very closely at every detail. A realistic price would be expected and appropriate.

Mark
post #5 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Hmmmm.....I thought the last 328 was 1988. Am I wrong?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Make sure you get a PPI done on it before purchasing.
Boxer, if all the basics checks out, from shocks to stearing rack for example, does it makes sense to perform a PPI on an old car?

Rgds
Johnny
post #7 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
No reason to worry, this all sounds like a good start. You have checked all the basics and everything looks good. Now is the time that you enlist the help of an expert to find the less obvious flaws. If that fails to turn up anything significant, then you have an excellent chance of having found the right car for a purchase.

The key is not necessarily perfection, but a clear idea of what you are buying... the price will naturally reflect the condition. The better the documentation and condition, the higher the price generally. A low price on a car like the one you describe would give me pause and make me look very closely at every detail. A realistic price would be expected and appropriate.

Mark
thanx Mark, thats how I feel, fixing a small issue here and there can be fun, especially with a special car like this, like what I've done on my '86, it was far from perfect and now the car is really good !

The price is high but I'm negotiating abit, should get about $7K off...

The owners done a Cape Town Ferrari run lately and it went off perfectly, he had the car checked out and serviced before and the technician told me that the car is very good, one of the better 328's he has worked on lately.
post #8 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I'm not quite sure why you are asking if you should worry about the paint? Is there something specific wrong with it?

If the car is well cared for, the paint lasts for many decades. There is no actual expiry date for paint.

As for mileage - not low enough to guarantee a problem but the main thing is: has the current owner run it regularly? Especially the last three years - if it has run regularly, say at least 1000 - 1500 kms a year, and well serviced, then it should be fine.

Onno
Onno, most older Ferrari's I checked out has some spray work done here and there, so it was abit odd to me that this car looks so good without any spray work done ever...I'll post some pictures..

the owner done 1200-1500 km per year the last 10Y, serviced regularly, had a full cambelt service last year.

thanks for the tips on the paint..
post #9 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Hmmmm.....I thought the last 328 was 1988. Am I wrong?

Saint, this is as far as I know:

The last build 328's was mid to late 1989 according to Ferrari Database and some other sources.

can someone confirm this ?
post #10 of 93 Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
Boxer, if all the basics checks out, from shocks to stearing rack for example, does it makes sense to perform a PPI on an old car?
Yes, I would still want to have a compression and leak down test done on the engine.
post #11 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Yes, I would still want to have a compression and leak down test done on the engine.
Boxer, I hear you, the car is fast and reaches 250 kph easy, theres no visible leaks, the owner said that he replaced one cam seal with the cambelt service since it was sweating after a drive.

I'll find out who can do a compression test, what is a leak down test ?

John
post #12 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
Boxer, I hear you, the car is fast and reaches 250 kph easy, theres no visible leaks, the owner said that he replaced one cam seal with the cambelt service since it was sweating after a drive.

I'll find out who can do a compression test, what is a leak down test ?

John
Any competent mechanic can perform one, although raw numbers say something about the condition, what is more important is variance between cylinders, the closer the better. There almost always will be one that's a either a little low or a little high, no more than 15% difference between high and low. More than that and you should walk away. Near that number would be bothersome. Around 5% or better would be expected of a solid motor. In between, you have to make a judgement call.
post #13 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Any competent mechanic can perform one, although raw numbers say something about the condition, what is more important is variance between cylinders, the closer the better. There almost always will be one that's a either a little low or a little high, no more than 15% difference between high and low. More than that and you should walk away. Near that number would be bothersome. Around 5% or better would be expected of a solid motor. In between, you have to make a judgement call.

thanks Mark, you made aware of something important. I'll check into it.
post #14 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Johnny where is the car?
If in Johannesburg you can call FORZA for a leakdown.
Who is the mechanic that serviced the car?
Was it Rosso or Viglietti?

Give me a call 083700339 if you need any help or if you want me to look at the car.
If I do not answer send me an sms and I will get back to you.
post #15 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

yes, Rosso and the car is in JHB, thanks Peter I'll contact you in the week.

cheers
John
post #16 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Johnny- There were definitely 89 328s. Those are the ones that come with ABS and the convex wheels. Believe ABS started half-way through the 88 run.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Johnny- There were definitely 89 328s. Those are the ones that come with ABS and the convex wheels. Believe ABS started half-way through the 88 run.
Whelp...ya learn something new ever day. I thought the 348 was introduced in late 1988 as an 1989 model year and was the the successor to the 328. Now I can't find anything referencing roll out date. Funny but not surprising that Ferrari must have built both for a while.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 03-11-2012 at 12:39 PM.
post #18 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Whelp...ya learn something new ever day. I thought the 348 was introduced in late 1988 as an 1989 model year and was the the successor to the 328. Now I can't find anything referencing roll out date. Funny but not surprising that Ferrari must have built both for a while.
trues, I saw a 89 - 328 GTS for sale with build-date June 1989, was registered in September 89 (first date of registration ) and I know there are 89 model - 348's available...

so yah, Ferrari was still producing newer models lines while the older ones was still in production like you mentioned.

thanks SB
post #19 of 93 Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
yes I know 88.5 like you mentioned half way through 88 - but we were under the impression that '89 were all build in 88 and stopped because of 348 production starting in 88, but clearly not - last 89's was build in 2n'd quarter of 1989.

thanks Terry
post #20 of 93 Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode