I'm thinking of purchasing a 355f1 spider (living with and maintenance ?) - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 138
I'm thinking of purchasing a 355f1 spider (living with and maintenance ?)

Hi all,

So I am considering purchasing a 355f1, but one of the things that is putting me off a little bit is the astronomical maintenance costs that have been associated with Ferrari's. I plan to drive the car regularly... no sense in owning it just to keep it off the road.

A little background, I used to own a dyno shop and specialized in building forced induction systems, high performance engines, and supplying/supporting programmable engine management systems. I turn wrenches well, I know how to weld and fabricate custom parts, I have access to lifts, milling machines, and lathes. However I have no Ferrari specific experience. Would it be unreasonable (or heresy) to perform my own general maintenance on the vehicle?

Dropping a motor (or the gas tank) and replacing a cam belt for instance is not an intimidating job in my mind (labor intensive, but not terribly challenging).

What does the community say? I found a beautiful well maintained example with complete documentation. I can certainly afford the nearly $60k price tag. I might add, I really love working on cars.

Mark

Last edited by Markp; 03-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Markp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Owner
 
a1exander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Johannesburg RSA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Mark welcome to FL.
Good to have another gearhead with us.

In answer to your questions in no particular order.

You need a PhD to work on a Ferrari
You need to be suitably dressed preferably in a white coat whilst wearing crispy white shirt and tie.
You also need to publish academic papers regarding Ferrari.

If you do not qualify on the above named criteria you are not allowed by law to touch the mechanicals on a Ferrari.


Mark with your experience working on a 355 would be accomplished whilst in your sleep.
They are real easy cars to work on and without a lot of the later electronic controls which require specialised diagnostic tools.
Equally the cars are known to have 2 issues namely exhaust manifolds and valve guides which if attended to render the cars absolutely reliable and a blast to drive.

I would encourage you to buy a 355 even though I am biased I know that many here would second my suggestion.

Good to have you with us.
a1exander is offline  
post #3 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Mark welcome to FL.
Good to have another gearhead with us.

In answer to your questions in no particular order.

You need a PhD to work on a Ferrari
You need to be suitably dressed preferably in a white coat whilst wearing crispy white shirt and tie.
You also need to publish academic papers regarding Ferrari.

If you do not qualify on the above named criteria you are not allowed by law to touch the mechanicals on a Ferrari.


Mark with your experience working on a 355 would be accomplished whilst in your sleep.
They are real easy cars to work on and without a lot of the later electronic controls which require specialised diagnostic tools.
Equally the cars are known to have 2 issues namely exhaust manifolds and valve guides which if attended to render the cars absolutely reliable and a blast to drive.

I would encourage you to buy a 355 even though I am biased I know that many here would second my suggestion.

Good to have you with us.
LOL, I'm just about finished with the Ph.D. (no, seriously.) Have the white coat, have published, just not anything about Ferrari.

Valve guides seals are pretty easy (not always easy to deal with in situ, but not rocket science) and the car may have replacement manifolds (I need to check that). I do know it already has a Tubi exhaust... none the less, have TIG welder, will travel. My only other concern is the hydraulic pump motor but that now seems to be available as well.

Great info, thanks!!!

Last edited by Markp; 03-04-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Markp is offline  
 
post #4 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: usa
Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Mark welcome to death is certain life is not, Ferrari life is NOT.
Drive a F430 and make your choice I almost got a 355 and I discover my red laddy and wallaaaa.
Drive it an you will see what i am talking about.
good luck.

Luigi V
Vedovatti is offline  
post #5 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
What kind of budget do you have? Will help us give you advice.
markjayw is offline  
post #6 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
 
134282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Have you driven a 355 with an F1? Of the few F1-equipped Ferraris I've driven, the 355 seemed most disconnected. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just putting in my two cents.

I need an Aventador!
134282 is offline  
post #7 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
What kind of budget do you have? Will help us give you advice.
Somewhere in the $60k range, which is poor man's Ferrari territory. I don't plan on tracking it, like I have most of many of my other toys. There is no doubt that the F430 is the superior car, it's not even close, but 355 vs 328/348, I'm feeling the 355 is the better choice.

Last edited by Markp; 03-03-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Markp is offline  
post #8 of 56 Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Somewhere in the $60k range, which is poor man's Ferrari territory. I don't plan on tracking it, like I have most of many of my other toys. There is no doubt that the F430 is the superior car, it's not even close, but 355 vs 328/348, I'm feeling the 355 is the better choice.
I would save 10-15k and get a 360 then. No engine out cambelt Service.

360 costs same as an F430 for normal service, with the exception of every 3-4 years you do the cambelt service. Costs are 1400-1800 for normal cambelt service, 3000-3500 for the next one because they recommend you change the tensioners bearings. This does not have to be done each time.

360's are also pretty well depreciated. Mine over 2 years has been bullet proof. Only needed fluid changes, cambelt service, and a radiator cap.

Engine out service for a 355 is like 8-10k. You could own a 360 forever and not hit that #.
markjayw is offline  
post #9 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjayw View Post
I would save 10-15k and get a 360 then. No engine out cambelt Service.

360 costs same as an F430 for normal service, with the exception of every 3-4 years you do the cambelt service. Costs are 1400-1800 for normal cambelt service, 3000-3500 for the next one because they recommend you change the tensioners bearings. This does not have to be done each time.

360's are also pretty well depreciated. Mine over 2 years has been bullet proof. Only needed fluid changes, cambelt service, and a radiator cap.

Engine out service for a 355 is like 8-10k. You could own a 360 forever and not hit that #.

That's a possibility. I do love the 360 as well. It's my understanding that with a lift and removal of the gas tank that engine in service of the cam belt and tensioners is possible, and a whole lot less disruptive than removing the engine.

Clearly I look at the tensioners as a critical item in any motor with an 8500 rpm redline. Clearly any motor that has interference fit valves means that loosing the timing belt or tensioners can get very expensive very quickly.

I will keep the 360 in mind, although I must say I do love the style of the 355 as well. These are all great points though and I want to thank you for your input!
Markp is offline  
post #10 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pacific North West
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
That's a possibility. I do love the 360 as well. It's my understanding that with a lift and removal of the gas tank that engine in service of the cam belt and tensioners is possible, and a whole lot less disruptive than removing the engine.

Clearly I look at the tensioners as a critical item in any motor with an 8500 rpm redline. Clearly any motor that has interference fit valves means that loosing the timing belt or tensioners can get very expensive very quickly.

I will keep the 360 in mind, although I must say I do love the style of the 355 as well. These are all great points though and I want to thank you for your input!
No problem, anytime. I too love the looks of the 355, and 2 years ago I was starting my search for my first Ferrari, the 355 was my goal, until I heard about some of the maintenance issues. There is more than just the cam belts though, others that own them can tell you other areas of concern. You just need to decide what your time is worth, I would rather be driving a Ferrari, rather than spending a month of my time doing an engine out cambelt service.
markjayw is offline  
post #11 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Welcome!

Here's my very personal view; I've owned both a 355 and a 360 and they are both awesome cars. Mind you, the general quality step-up on the 360 is significant, a quantum leap I would dare to say. If you really want the older "before 360" Ferraris I'd look for a 308 or a 328. My recommendation though is a 360. That is a serious machine, even more so if you're looking for a Spider. There is a big difference in torsional rigidity between a 355 Spider and a 360 Spider.

Good luck and try as many as possible!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #12 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
What does the community say? I found a beautiful well maintained example with complete documentation. I can certainly afford the nearly $60k price tag. I might add, I really love working on cars.

Mark
I say BUY IT!

There is nothing "special" about working on a ferrari other than they are hand assembled which means the designers didn't go out of their way to make anything easy.

Then since you should put as blower on it!....it would be a shame to waste you skill
mk e is offline  
post #13 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
The 355 is one of the best looking Ferrari's - if it's what you have your eye on keep it there and enjoy it.

Plenty of guys here to help you work thru a sticky situation.

Welcome to FLife where you get what you pay for
champagne612 is offline  
post #14 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
I say BUY IT!

There is nothing "special" about working on a ferrari other than they are hand assembled which means the designers didn't go out of their way to make anything easy.

Then since you should put as blower on it!....it would be a shame to waste you skill
That's why I am staying away from the 308/328's, everyone I know says I'd break it in a few weeks... because they know I'd put boost to it. I know I'd put boost to it. A 355, that I'd leave stock, same for a 360. Financially, the 360 is a bit of a stretch for me, although tempting... I also drooled over 550M's and TR's in the same price range...

Once again, thanks all. I am very seriously looking at the 360's now because of the advice... I just don't know if I can find the coin to get there without waiting a bit longer... We all hate waiting. I could drive a 355 now, or wait and drive a 360 later.
Markp is offline  
post #15 of 56 Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
They're worth the wait.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
Killer58 is offline  
post #16 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
That's why I am staying away from the 308/328's, everyone I know says I'd break it in a few weeks... because they know I'd put boost to it. I know I'd put boost to it. A 355, that I'd leave stock, same for a 360. Financially, the 360 is a bit of a stretch for me, although tempting... I also drooled over 550M's and TR's in the same price range...

Once again, thanks all. I am very seriously looking at the 360's now because of the advice... I just don't know if I can find the coin to get there without waiting a bit longer... We all hate waiting. I could drive a 355 now, or wait and drive a 360 later.
Dude....before running off on my V12 conversion project I had a blower on my stock except valve springs 308QV engine and was pushing 24 psi into. They are VERY hard to break, believe me, I tried

There is a TT355 in OZ that is stock except the turbos, intercoolers and motec. It's been making something like 600+ hp for 6-8 years now while doing track and drag strip days.

The one comment I have is the 355f1 is not known as the best version of the f1 system. I would manual on a 355 I think.
mk e is offline  
post #17 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Owner
 
Sandy Eggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 573
I'd think a mechanically inclined guy like you would want a 3 pedal car. Less $ to replace the clutch as well.

Also, just a heads-up, I've seen it reported that the life expectancy of the F355 spider top is about 100 cycles before it needs an overhaul. Something to think about.

My advice, look for a 3 pedal GTS and you will be in heaven. I am.
Sandy Eggo is offline  
post #18 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
My advice is to go manual on both 355 and 360.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #19 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Owner
 
il Capolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Switzerland
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Dude....before running off on my V12 conversion project I had a blower on my stock except valve springs 308QV engine and was pushing 24 psi into. They are VERY hard to break, believe me, I tried

There is a TT355 in OZ that is stock except the turbos, intercoolers and motec. It's been making something like 600+ hp for 6-8 years now while doing track and drag strip
My friend, please check my Novitec thread and please give me your point of view! I'm uncertain of what to do with my Spider; supercharge or not supercharge, that is the question.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
il Capolino is offline  
post #20 of 56 Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Owner
 
Fiorano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Welcome to F Life Markp.

Personally I think I'd wait and acquire a 360, well that's what I did. That said I've yet to walk past a 355 and not look at it and wish I owned it....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Fiorano is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale