Help! Need 360 Advice!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Help! Need 360 Advice!!

Hello All!

I am coming up on being in the market for a 360 and I am looking for a 01-03 (ish) because I would like the F1 transmission but cant really afford the 04 or 05 (looking to spend in the $65K range). I have been looking at them for years and it seems like it is going to run anywhere from 55k-75k all depending on the mileage... That being said, what is a good median on the mileage? I know the fewer the better but I am not trying to go over budget in anticipation mx costs. I have seen them as low as $54k but it had over 50k miles and I know thats a ton, but what is the threshold where its just too many and why specifically? I could get a 04 with 4k miles on it but its over $100k obviously. I am trying to find a balanace and am aware you get what you pay for, but what is a good balace (25k-35k miles)? Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it!
Freddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Welcome to the site Freddie.

I recommend turning your decision matrix around and buying the best example you can afford. Instead of looking for a 360 within a certain mileage range, you should look at the cars in your price range and pick the best ones. If the one you chose passes a PPI, then you've found the right one for you.

And don't forget to budget for yearly maintenance including a belt change every 3 years, and a cash reserve for unexpected repair.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
I'm thinking of selling both my 360 (six-speed stick) and TR and buying a 430 Spider.
PM me if interested. Recent annual at Competizione - FL Sponsor - (belts/fluids/battery etc.)

I'm on the east coast USA

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 37
Mileage, PPI, & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I recommend turning your decision matrix around and buying the best example you can afford. Instead of looking for a 360 within a certain mileage range, you should look at the cars in your price range and pick the best ones. If the one you chose passes a PPI, then you've found the right one for you.
Good point as usual, Killer. In my (undereducated) opinion, I would more seriously consider a well maintained (with records!) 360 with higher mileage than a garage queen that hasn't seen enough action. We're nearing the point on these cars where some of the squishy bits are nearing the end of their useful lifetime, which is often made worse if the car has been sitting around for months or years at a time.

A thorough PPI conducted by an expert is the key thing I've seen repeated time and again as the best way to identify otherwise hidden gremlins.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
I'm thinking of selling both my 360 (six-speed stick) and TR...

Don't you dare sell the TR before I get a chance to drive it!

BTW - I think that's a crazy trade.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Welcome to the site Freddie.

And don't forget to budget for yearly maintenance including a belt change every 3 years, and a cash reserve for unexpected repair.
That makes perfect sense, I appreciate it. I am definately going to get an expert to look at it before I buy. I was curious if you have an estimate on how much to set aside for mx a year? I currently have my savings set up to support about 2-3k in mx a year (assuming some years it will be very little and some years a whole lot, like a belt change). Do you think this is enough? I know no one has a crystal ball, but I am trying to become educated before I buy. I am looking at purchasing in about a year from now or so. I want one badly, but I am not going to rush into it before I talk to people like you with the background. Thanks again for all the help guys!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
I owned a 360 for 3 years, a 2000 three pedal car.

Maintenance - routine is about $500-1000/yr, that's fluids, odds and ends but no major issues.

Every three years is a belt service $3K+ at a dealer, maybe less at an independent.

Every five years is a major service, that's gonna be $5K at a dealer, includes belt service plus a number of other items.

But, beware, routine maintenance comes with a price and more frequently than any car you've ever owned.

clutch - every 10K-20K miles F1 transmission I have no experience with.
brakes - every 10K miles.
O2 sensors - seem to be particularly vulnerable, perhaps due to operating temps, but I put at least two in during 3 years.
Tires - 10K miles, maybe 15 if lucky. All around set is $2k+
Suspension has some VERY expensive bits on it to, the attenuators are pricey, and I've replaced 2. Suspension goes rock hard when one goes out.

And there's plenty more. The guy who just bought my 360 from me had a ppi done, they came up with a list (mind you many were simple cosmetic issues) that was $8K. He's had some other odds and ends done, I figure he's at $11K right now total.

This is not a poor man's hobby.

D
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

That sounds about right. Thats why I figured I would set aside about 3k a year because in a routine year (if there is such a thing), I would have put aside an extra 2k for the odds and ends and expensive mx appointments. Do you reccommend dealers only? I save tons of $ taking my cars to non-dealerships that I trust. My buddy with a diablo has warned me that you realllllly have to trust the person working on your exotic because they can rip you off big time and costs you thousands. Thanks again guys, my learning curve is huge! Gatta start somewhere and if it was a poor mans hobby, everyone would have one and it would cease to be a special make!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
I took mine to the dealer for everything except state inspection.

Algar Ferrari has some top notch mechanics, and they were 2 minutes from my house.

I know there are also some excellent independent mechanics, some of whom visit here, but for me, dealer was the way to go.

D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode