PPI Question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
PPI Question

Hi All,

I have heard a lot of talk about getting a PPI done. This of course makes total sense. In my situation, I would like to get Ferrari of Washington to get my potential 355F1 examined but the dealer is in Maryland (Rockville) and does not want to take the car there. I do not know where in Rockvile or in the neighboring area I would find a competent shop for such a check. So I feel I have to go with the shops the dealer uses. The dealer in question is Flemings Ultimate Garage. Has any one had dealings with their PPIs being done by this shop? I believe the owner is a ferrari guy so he may be reading this but I'm sure he understands.

So finally is it so bad to have this dealership that actually deals in specialty items use their shop of choice. I figured ultimately the shop will be doing the same basic tests - no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
For my money, I'd take it to one of our two sponsors, Competizione or ECS.

I would NOT use the dealer's shop. Even if they do in fact perform the same tests, what matters are the results and that the shop honestly convey them.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 88 Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Rubi,
I assume you are talking about the black spider they have? I have seen the car in person, and as I recall it looked very clean. I will tell you however, that a PPI is imperative. Competizione (the best shop in the US), is only about 10 minutes away. I would assume that with a deposit, any dealer would agree to third party inspection.
If they don't, walk. There are a ton of 355 spiders available, and even more with F1. You can afford to be picky and choose your terms.

post #4 of 88 Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Awesome

You guys are awesome. I just sent them an email making that request and perhaps they will be miffed but like you said there are aplenty. I requested Competizione. Will see how that goes. However, they have been pretty nice so far and so if they cooperate then I should be in the club before end of month.

I'm also glad you got to see it 355Dreamer and approved.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 88 Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
For my money, I'd take it to one of our two sponsors, Competizione or ECS.

I would NOT use the dealer's shop. Even if they do in fact perform the same tests, what matters are the results and that the shop honestly convey them.
+1, you will do well using either ECS or Competizione.

I would definitely not get the dealer's shop to do the PPI unless you have a very long standing relationship with them.
post #6 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Fow=no

you know it's funny. Right after i posted the above, i noticed i'm standing in fow's showroom in my avatar! So they do have good car launches!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Rubi, Competizione is definitely the best option since they are so close. If Flemings decides that is too troublesome, perhaps your business is best taken elsewhere.

I have taken the trip to Flemings once before to perform a PPI on site. This of course limits my ability to scour, as I had no access to a lift. I'm very detailed and was confident in my inspection, the buyer was pleased and bought the car and has enjoyed ownership.

Having the PPI down at the inspecting shop's location is certainly the best option. If they refuse to allow the car off premise, and you're really attracted to this particular car and want an on site inspection done...I'll be happy to help.

Definitely don't buy a 355 without a proper inspection though. There are too many costly variables.

post #8 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

post #9 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Fow=no

you know it's funny. Right after i posted the above, i noticed i'm standing in fow's showroom in my avatar! So they do have good car launches!

Sorry but what's FOW=NO?
post #10 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Rubi, Competizione is definitely the best option since they are so close. If Flemings decides that is too troublesome, perhaps your business is best taken elsewhere.

I have taken the trip to Flemings once before to perform a PPI on site. This of course limits my ability to scour, as I had no access to a lift. I'm very detailed and was confident in my inspection, the buyer was pleased and bought the car and has enjoyed ownership.

Having the PPI down at the inspecting shop's location is certainly the best option. If they refuse to allow the car off premise, and you're really attracted to this particular car and want an on site inspection done...I'll be happy to help.

Definitely don't buy a 355 without a proper inspection though. There are too many costly variables.
I would definitely like to meet you at some point as I think it wise to develop some relationship with a shop such as yours. Thanks for the offer. How much do you charge for such a visit?

Please forgive the naivete as I'm sure you know what you are doing and others here vouch for you but can you really do things such as compression tests and all when the car is stuck in a showroom?

What has been your experience with their cars?

Thanks.
post #11 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

: (

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
nobody ever mentioned flemmings! I'd get two PPI's.
Really? That bad?
post #12 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Josh is right - when it comes to a F355, just spend the money and get a proper PPI done. By "proper" I mean you need to insist on a Compression and Leak Down test. Don't let the shop stop at a Compression test...make sure they do the Leak Down as well. This is the only thing that will tell you if you are looking at a $25k repair bill down the road or just normal $1-2.5k per year sort of average. Everything else is just details, IMHO.

My rough guide for compression test is that you want to see all cylinders above 200 psi and no more than 10% variance between the high and the low.

On the Leak Down, you're praying for below 5% across all cylinders. If you get 1 (or more) cylinder > 9%, it's time to worry.
post #13 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Traumatic

Man, i thought this Ferrari stuff was supposed to be fun but its simply become so traumatic. I'm beginning to wonder if its all worth it. Perhaps i should just keep the Rubicon I was going to sell and move on. : (
post #14 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Rubi- No, once you are in, you will be ecstatic. You just want to make sure you do not start out with a built in handicap. I have had my car nearly four years now and the worst thing that happened was the gasket on the gas cap came loose. Good car and regular maintenance and you will love owning a Ferrari.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiFan View Post
Man, i thought this Ferrari stuff was supposed to be fun but its simply become so traumatic. I'm beginning to wonder if its all worth it. Perhaps i should just keep the Rubicon I was going to sell and move on. : (
Just find a *good* one and you'll be in heaven. Even a bad F355 has its charms - they are just real expensive dates if you are careless on which one you choose.

For a lot of guys, the "chase" is half the fun.
post #16 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

ferrari of washington. no means no.

Quote:
Sorry but what's FOW=NO?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by wetpet; 02-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
post #17 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

same as any other car. gotta do your homework and have it checked out by an expert. When i buy a used astro van for my business, i have my mechanic check it out first. only makes sense. Like any other car, the dealer may or may not be your best option. Same goes for independents. check them out.

flemming is a used car salesman. nuff said. cya.

the only reason ferraris may be a little stressful on the front end is simply because they are more expensive. a mistake can be a lot more costly. The price of admission is def worth it though.

Quote:

post #18 of 88 Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Not at all. It is fun, it is just that it will be a lot more enjoyable in the long run if you buy well to start. The guys here are just trying to help you get that 1st purchase right.
post #19 of 88 Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 386
Rubi, don't let the labors of searching and purchasing a Ferrari spoil what promises to be a very rewarding ownership experience. Going through the motions to properly and adequately secure a fine Italian acquisition is like a rite of passage - if you get lucky and score a no-stories car without ticking all the boxes, it's almost like you've cheated!

A PPI is a very important part of the purchase process, and tantamount to peace of mind. Call the selling dealer and explain that you insist on paying for the tow to bring the car from their establishment to the PPI-conducting shop of your choice. If they're unwilling to acquiesce to this, move on to another seller without hesitation. Any seller, be it a private party or a dealership, who is unwilling to permit a potential buyer to have the car properly and independently inspected (completely at the potential buyer's cost) is not someone with whom you want to do business.

It is an imperative pre-purchase inspection paramountcy that the shop commissioned to examine the car in question is completely independent of the seller, and has zero vested interest in the sale one way or the other. In this regard, you'll ensure that the inspection report will be honest.

These are cautionary, and admittedly distrustful, steps in your purchase approach; but they are very necessary. Keep us posted (no pun intended), and don't hesitate to fire off as many questions as possible. Also, if you can, post the serial numbers (last six digits of the VIN) of the car(s) in which you're interested, so that others who might have relevant information can add to whatever history has already been disclosed to you by the seller.

I need an Aventador!
post #20 of 88 Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,196
Although my buddy Wetpet has a particular hard-on for FoW, I did buy my 550 from them.

Josh did the PPI, found a number of things wrong and it put me in a much stronger position to buy the car.

I negotiated, and when it was obvious the salesman wasn't interested in working with me, I went to the GM and finished the deal with him. In the end I bought the car on my terms, and better yet there were no major surprises after Josh's thorough PPI.

If you're interested in a FoW car, just follow the advice previously mentioned, and don't put up with any BS "just because" they're the Ferrari dealer. The guy you deal with is still just a used car salesman.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode