PPI Question - Page 4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 88 Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Well, here goes...

With such a clean record, I think I will pull the trigger on this one. One question I might pose to my great forum gods is...after seeing the drop engine work that was done at ferrari last august, the 100% positive feedback these guys have from 1600 buyers, the A+ BBB rating and the carcheck showing no auctions and possibly just one owner...should I really spend money on a PPI? Or should I put that money towards shipping?

I mean this "feels" like a cleaner transaction than the FUG purchase in which some of you felt I should do three PPIs : )

I'm already going to have to sell my Combat Wilson for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiFan View Post
With such a clean record, I think I will pull the trigger on this one. One question I might pose to my great forum gods is...after seeing the drop engine work that was done at ferrari last august, the 100% positive feedback these guys have from 1600 buyers, the A+ BBB rating and the carcheck showing no auctions and possibly just one owner...should I really spend money on a PPI? Or should I put that money towards shipping?
I used to work with Sheehan a few years ago. We consigned a 360 Spider that needed a new reverse gear lever. After he fixed it, the mechanic said it was the most sublime 360 he'd ever driven; smooth, fast, no problems whatsoever - a perfect car. A week later, a potential buyer requested a PPI. During the PPI, it was discovered that the car needed a valve job - $10K+ easy. We were all flabbergasted. You just never know, no matter how good things appear to be.

I need an Aventador!
post #63 of 88 Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:

I mean this "feels" like a cleaner transaction than the FUG purchase in which some of you felt I should do three PPIs : )

to that it matters but the auto check on ebay reports 6 owners, and not sure how the dealer would know if it went through an in the past .Many do and it is not a problem . It is a quick way for a dealer to get rid of a trade in out of their market would not bother me.

post #64 of 88 Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYH View Post
NOT that it matters but the auto check on ebay reports 6 owners, and not sure how the dealer would know if it went through an auction in the past .Many do and it is not a problem . It is a quick way for a dealer to get rid of a trade in out of their market would not bother me.
corrected
post #65 of 88 Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:

Spend the $500 on a PPI - you are talking bout a F355 - it is a MUST. Think of it as cheap insurance against a bank draining event. Plus - it gives you plenty of negotiation ammunition. The PPI will pay for itself and give you peace of mind. Remember - don't skimp - get the compression AND leak down tests done.

I have a friend, who while searching for a F355, got a line on one that had a $20k engine overhaul (valve guides, cylinder liners, the whole smash) by some kind of Ferrari guru only a year back. Guess what - they did the compression and leak down and numbers SUCKED big time.
post #66 of 88 Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

It's Done

OK You guys talked me into it. I put my deposit in and the car is off the market. Flemings wanted $1000 deposit, these guys were fine with half that.
Except for the challenge grill, it would appear the car is totally stock. I think this could be good as it could mean previous owners were conservative and didnt f*k with it too much.

Tomorrow we will send it to Ferrari of Dallas for the PPI and then I have to decide whether to drive it home or have it shipped.

I wonder how boring it will sound with stock exhaust components?
post #67 of 88 Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Rubi- Yoshi Shields work great and are virtually indistinguishable from the originals until you get close enough (very close) to see they are not inletted into the fender.
Those Yoshields looked nice, but are pricey at 375 a piece. What do you think of these?

FERRARI FENDER SHIELDS BADGES 308,328,348,355,430,360 | eBay
post #68 of 88 Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Rubi- You want shields that are curved for the application, not one size fits all. If you check again, they are $375 a pair (I checked) and I bet he will offer a Ferrari Life discount if you ask.

Tell him we sent you.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #69 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
ferrari of dallas did the "PPI" on my car! i drove it over there unannounced on a sat and they gave it the once over for free. Not too in depth, but better than nothing. Car ended up needing a clutch and brakes and i ended up putting tires and exhaust on it too. Def get the PPI. best insurance you can buy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #70 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The few hundred extra you'll spend now greatly out weights the potential 5 figure repair bills that haunts 355's...later.

The stock exhaust is pretty timid, once you get it up in the RPM's and the bypass valve opens up it sings pretty sweet though. Whether it's acceptable or not is subjective. The 355's do sound amazing with a quality aftermarket exhaust system though.

post #71 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,199
Quote:
Those Yoshields looked nice, but are pricey at 375 a piece. What do you think of these?

FERRARI FENDER SHIELDS BADGES 308,328,348,355,430,360 | eBay

$375!!! Did Yoshi raise his prices??? I'll sell you a pair for half that.

On that Ebay listing, I'd stick with Yoshi, don't know of anyone else doing better than Yoshi, and not only does that seller has few ratings but all private sales. Kind of makes one think he stacked the ratings game.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #72 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Rubi- You want shields that are curved for the application, not one size fits all. If you check again, they are $375 a pair (I checked) and I bet he will offer a Ferrari Life discount if you ask.

Tell him we sent you.
Again, you are right Tazandjan. They responded quickly and said that it is for a pair and that we are given a discount. Thanks again.
post #73 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Ppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
ferrari of dallas...Def get the PPI. best insurance you can buy.
The dealer said that FOD was about 40 minutes away and when I checked I could see he was right. So he said he would have to charge $120 for the ride there and back. I wasnt happy but really whats $120 at this point, especially as I could hear you all in my head, "Def get the PPI. best insurance you can buy" - at this point there is no turning back so I accepted. This was a bit more flexible than Flemings (FUG). I did get to speak in depth with FoD service manager. Them southern boys are definitely easy to talk to and helpful. He looked up the VIN told me that it had just been in about 6 months ago for major maintenance was up to date on all factory recalls and replacements but went ahead and set me up with an appointment. Like a true lover of his craft, he said, "I sure hate seeing these cars leave the area".
post #74 of 88 Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
$375!!! ... I'll sell you a pair for half that.
Really? Yoshis'? For the 355? With the discount they are about $300.
post #75 of 88 Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Update

This is an update on my acquisition....

Well guys you were all right. I got back my PPI and the car turned out to be totally healthy - except for the tires. While the car is under 10k in mileage the DOT indicated a time to change. And the dealer agreed. I guess the PPI paid for itself at that point. Thanks.

The Yoshis came in and look cool, hopefully I'll get them set up correctly.

Ordered some mats from Brendon at Coachtrim.

Still contemplating the tubi/capristo thing but I think I'll wait till I drive it around stock for a while.

Definitely still need some advice on locating a good radio installation shop.

Looks like FUG finally sold the one I was originally looking at. It was spotted in DC. I must say that with this great driving weather I am suffering without my black stallion but even though I have to wait another week or more, thanks to you all I feel I am getting a much better deal.

Last edited by RubiFan; 03-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
post #76 of 88 Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #77 of 88 Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,871
Rubi- I love a happy ending.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #78 of 88 Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Yes but...

Quote:
Rubi- I love a happy ending.
Agreed Tazandjan, and you guys have been totally a part of that success story.
post #79 of 88 Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 398
Rubi, congratulations! What's the serial number of the car you ended up buying?

I need an Aventador!
post #80 of 88 Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 138
Quote:
Hi All,

I have heard a lot of talk about getting a PPI done. This of course makes total sense. In my situation, I would like to get Ferrari of Washington to get my potential 355F1 examined but the dealer is in Maryland (Rockville) and does not want to take the car there. I do not know where in Rockvile or in the neighboring area I would find a competent shop for such a check. So I feel I have to go with the shops the dealer uses. The dealer in question is Flemings Ultimate Garage. Has any one had dealings with their PPIs being done by this shop? I believe the owner is a ferrari guy so he may be reading this but I'm sure he understands.

So finally is it so bad to have this dealership that actually deals in specialty items use their shop of choice. I figured ultimately the shop will be doing the same basic tests - no?
I almost purchased that Ferrari, VERY CLEAN LOOKING, very beautiful. Glad I didn't, but still don't blame you for eying that one!

Congrats on your purchase!

Last edited by Markp; 03-19-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode