F355 - GTB, GTS or the Spyder? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 109
F355 - GTB, GTS or the Spyder?

heya there

this is my very first post guys. And first and foremost, I must say there the wealth of information on this site is just amazing...kudos

ok I'v finally decided between the 348, F355 and the 360....it is going to be the F355. So now the question is which is more desirable?

Spyder- most leak and here in Malaysia, it rains alot!
However i also read that if in an event, in the future, there is any possibility the 355 appreciates (i emphasis the "if"!), the spyder wld be the most desirable. Is this true?

GTS- I also realise that the GTS is the least produced so wld this make it the most desirable? These are the most in the market for sale at the moment here though!

GTB- well in terms of stiffness and practicality in terms of maintenance, this is the best, but wld this out depreciate the other two above? ( i realise the depreciation of the 355 is almost levelling out, but in an event this further happens)

thanks for the feedback guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but i think you are asking the wrong question. You first need to decide if YOU want an open or closed car. Go with your gut, it's probably right. If closed the choice is obvious. if open it's the gts or spyder. I wouldn't worry too much about leaking. I imagine you will keep it in a garage and not drive it in the driving rain too much. As far as depreciation or appreciation, if you have it long enough to matter, you won't care. I have an affinity for open cars, but don't let that make up your mind.

welcome to the forum and good luck on the search.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bikz- Welcome to Ferrari Life and we have several F355 owners and many more F355 lovers (like me) on the forum. Like Pet said, it all depends on what you want, but for me it would be getting the best car you can find, whether it is open or closed. You have some glorious weather there and some monsoon rains where you probably want a Jeep or Land Rover instead of a Ferrari, so anything will be a compromise.

Good luck and do not worry too much about depreciation. All the F355s are pretty much fully depreciated for really nice cars. You are not going to make any money on any of them after you subtract operating and maintenance expenses, so just enjoy the car.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks Wetpet,

Well honestly it does not matter whether if its a soft-top or a coupe. I like all three and honestly, all three are absolutely and equally beautiful (in my eyes at least!)
Well the spider does command a slightly higher asking price and i think this wld be the trend forever! well the car wld be in the garage but it does rain unpredictably here!

however, looking into the future a little, I might not (or might!) keep this one forever and when a time comes for me to upgrade, i'm just gauging on which one will keep its value, if any, the longest. Or wld it not matter at all and i shld just go ahead and pick the best looked after, irrespective what type it is?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
If you want a spider that has a prayer of appreciating in the next decade, get the Fiorano...but only ~100 made.

When the F355 was a current model, obviously the spider was most in demand. However, now that the car has made it's way into mostly 'real' enthusiasts hands, I would assert the most sought after models are the GTB or GTS.

Used spiders are *everywhere* but good luck finding a decent Berlinetta or GTS. If you want the ultimate in enthusiast desirability then get a '95 GTB or GTS. I know a guy who has been very actively searching for a '95 GTB or GTS for at least a year...so be patient.

If you are just after a fun car for a few years - then get whatever you like the most. Be aware that Spiders regularly have problems with the tops (usually about 100 open/closes before requiring service) and F1 cars are notorious for expensive clutch jobs.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks Terry,

thanks for the warm welcome to this forum.
hahahah yeah the monsoon here is unpredictable....it used to be predictable not too long ago.....I personally think its got to do with global warming or something along those lines that its so messed up now.....but we're not complaining.....rain and shine the whole year is fun!!! and yes I have three 4x4s at home (thats actually because i have to go offroad! and not because our roads are messed up!).....hahaha but we have brilliant roads here to be honest....

thanks Rick,
I'm so glad to hear that! I have personally driven a 355 Spyder on a not so heavy downpour and I was semi wet on the right side of my body....and this was in a car very well looked after by its owner.I'v also been in a 360 Spyder where the lid which opens up before the hood goes in got jammed because it ran off its alignment. so i think i was personally biassed of the spyders before i posted this up (but just needed to hear it from others as well!!!!!)

but I'm still open to advice and as to whether I will be stuck with a lemon if I don't get a Spidey!!?????
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bikz- No, I do not think what configuration you choose will affect the value much. That will be built into the price you pay initially. What will affect the resale more is how well the car is treated while you own it. If it is in better shape when you sell it than when you bought it, it will be easy to move or trade.

Personally, I really enjoyed the 308 GTS I had. Just throw the top behind the seats and go. Worst that can happen is you have to replace some rubber gaskets to keep the rain out. With a Spider, there are a few more things that can go wrong and waterproofing is more of a challenge. My 308 GTS did not leak at all, and I lived in England when I had it.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikz View Post
heya there

GTS- I also realise that the GTS is the least produced so wld this make it the most desirable? These are the most in the market for sale at the moment here though!

thanks for the feedback guys
Welcome to Flife

You see which one I prefer - but it's your call.

Best of luck and keep in mind when you see the right one you will know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode