Potential New Recruit - Prospecting - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Potential New Recruit - Prospecting

Hi All -

I am new to FL, and am considering a 430. I've always had euro cars but never crossed into the 'big leagues' of Ferrari or Lamborghini, etc. I'm still waiting on a tad bit more depreciation of the 430, but am really interested in acquiring one. I like to think I'm considerably young still, so I dont want to rush and dive into something and bite off more than I can chew.

I've reviewed some of the threads on this forum, but I suppose I'm looking to learn as much as I can about owning a 430.

Biggest issues with repairs
Most possible cost of annual maintenance(not tires)
How good is it to drive daily if I am driving 50+miles a day
How often do you need to get servicing if you rack up miles
Cost of clutch on F1
Would you let your wife drive yours

I dont PLAN on driving it daily, but I'm a severe car guy. Each morning I struggle between my little league decisions of taking one car or the other and I always end up in my faster or more fun car. I plan on keeping my E60 M5 for daily use, but I'm sure in the summer I will end up driving a Ferrari a bit more than I'd want to.

Any thoughts, opinions, experience shared is truly appreciated.

Best,
Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Z
Welcome to Ferrari Life. I'm pretty sure that a 430 would survive it's life as a semi daily driver and a 50 mile round trip to/from work would be no problem at all for it.

I can't answer your specific queries (though I'm sure a couple of 430 owners will be along shortly to do that), but maintenance costs are reasonable (by Ferrari standards) helped by the fact that the 430 doesn't require expensive belt changes like its predecessors.

To answer your last question. Of course I'd let my wife drive it. Nothing better than seeing a blonde drive past in a Ferrari...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
If you plan on $2-3k a year that should more than cover your maintenance costs. Biggest cost in terms of consumables is the clutch. Depending on your driving style, they can last anywhere from 8k miles to 40k miles.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Nothing better than seeing a blonde drive past in a Ferrari...
I like to think that a blonde asking you to get into her Ferrari is much better....

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 15 Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I like to think that a blonde asking you to get into her Ferrari is much better....

Onno

True, but the blonde I have in mind will invariably have another blonde in the passenger seat. A 5 year old blonde to be precise...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 15 Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The clutch replacement varying from 8k to 40k is quite a spread. What's the cost of a total clutch replacement?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Hey Z,

Its great to know you are willing to purchase a 430 As far as I know the 430 is a great Ferrari with no problems on standard base, but mostly you have to check its gear caz the 430 gear is the most vunerable part. (except the engine if they have drive with no oil)

anyway, I saw that you are not thinking about purchasing for daily use.... so I'd like to offer you think about a fractional ownership by Prstiga. with fractional ownership you can purchase 60 day and to drive the top of the line such as the amazing 458 italia or the 12v 599.

The F.O. is not available on Prestiga website, but you can email us.

best regards,
Nir Sharon
post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Z did you ever end up purchasing?

I am also in the market and curious as to what you learned. I'd also like to consider my self young for looking at these cars. My father has a 458 and that has encouraged me to take the plunge on an entry level early 430. Like father like son right?

In talking with our local dealer, local mechanics, other owners at meets, I come to the conclusion that if you are going to put low mileage on the car you are looking at about $800 a year and then every other year about $2,500 on expected maintenance. Higher mileage you are looking at $2K/yr

A thorough 3rd party PPI or CPO ferrari seems to be pretty much standard talk, but worth mentioning.

Many are not worried about mileage, though I am just due to resale. targeting something 2005 - 2007 under 15K miles.

I still have some unanswered questions in terms of what I really should be paying for one private party / vs the dealer. I have a friend in OC who runs a JAG/LR dealer with very close ties to high end auto dealers in the area and It's looking like the face value is going to be between $125K-$135K just to get the conversation started. Though I have heard mention of some people taking home the car for a little over $105 as of recent.

When talking about the clutch most estimates i've received are inline with what folks have talked about above, $3-$4K depending on how much work needs to be done. A complete clutch assembly replacement from Ricambi USA is about $2K so tack in labor.

With that said have you picked up any tips on ensuring you are getting a "no stories" car?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Z,

The only thing I would worry about is the roads around Detroit... I have driven all around through there and the potholes are huge and it will make you cringe if you hit one. I was in my truck and hit one, and I couldn't imagine what it would do to a Ferrari!!! But there are some good roads in Michigan to play on, so go for it anyway!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to FLife

First thing is to get a car that has been well cared for - the cheapest 430 may very well be the most expensive to drive.

Ceramic brake replacement can run 25k - if it has never been tracked ... those same brakes on another 430 could last a lifetime.

To be safe - 430 six speed and steel brakes would make a great first Ferrari.

Enjoy the place
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey - I have yet to purchase. Thanks for the great insight in your post reply.

I'm trying to take my time, etc. I think that I might drive this a lot more than what other people's part time driving is like, so I guess its safe to assume 2500/year for maintenance.

I havent had too much time to seriously hunt even, but what you're saying about a sub 130k car sounds amazing to me. 105k sounds unbelievable.

I'm big on one owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce View Post
Z did you ever end up purchasing?

I am also in the market and curious as to what you learned. I'd also like to consider my self young for looking at these cars. My father has a 458 and that has encouraged me to take the plunge on an entry level early 430. Like father like son right?

In talking with our local dealer, local mechanics, other owners at meets, I come to the conclusion that if you are going to put low mileage on the car you are looking at about $800 a year and then every other year about $2,500 on expected maintenance. Higher mileage you are looking at $2K/yr

A thorough 3rd party PPI or CPO ferrari seems to be pretty much standard talk, but worth mentioning.

Many are not worried about mileage, though I am just due to resale. targeting something 2005 - 2007 under 15K miles.

I still have some unanswered questions in terms of what I really should be paying for one private party / vs the dealer. I have a friend in OC who runs a JAG/LR dealer with very close ties to high end auto dealers in the area and It's looking like the face value is going to be between $125K-$135K just to get the conversation started. Though I have heard mention of some people taking home the car for a little over $105 as of recent.

When talking about the clutch most estimates i've received are inline with what folks have talked about above, $3-$4K depending on how much work needs to be done. A complete clutch assembly replacement from Ricambi USA is about $2K so tack in labor.

With that said have you picked up any tips on ensuring you are getting a "no stories" car?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post reply. Your statement is completely true. I definitely do not want a fixer upper.

So a 6MT is safer than the F1? I was actually thinking about F1 so my wife could enjoy it, but that might be a mistake overall haha. Thanks for the tip about steel brakes. I dont need my first 'rari to need a 25k brake job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Welcome to FLife

First thing is to get a car that has been well cared for - the cheapest 430 may very well be the most expensive to drive.

Ceramic brake replacement can run 25k - if it has never been tracked ... those same brakes on another 430 could last a lifetime.

To be safe - 430 six speed and steel brakes would make a great first Ferrari.

Enjoy the place
post #13 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Z- Just in case you did not find this in your readings, remember that the clutch and transmission are identical for three pedal and F1 shifter cars. Only the throw-out bearing and shifter mechanisms are different, and there is a clutch position sensor and one extra angular velocity sensor for F1. The big parts are the same.

Clutch life for F1 cars is hugely dependent on how the car is driven. Drive it like a three pedal car with paddles, and clutch life will be similar to a 3 pedal car. Drive it like an automatic and clutch life will be shorter.

The good news is it would take you about 5 minutes to teach your wife how to get around in an F1 car. It will take both of you longer to become really good with the system, but it is very rewarding once you do.

Those of us with F1 shifters, even those like me who have driven 3 pedal cars for 50 years, really enjoy the system.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thats interesting Tazandjan. I am a hardcore 3 pedal guy. Can you explain about getting good with the F1 system? I've driven SMG for BMW but no experience with the F1 for Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Z- Just in case you did not find this in your readings, remember that the clutch and transmission are identical for three pedal and F1 shifter cars. Only the throw-out bearing and shifter mechanisms are different, and there is a clutch position sensor and one extra angular velocity sensor for F1. The big parts are the same.

Clutch life for F1 cars is hugely dependent on how the car is driven. Drive it like a three pedal car with paddles, and clutch life will be similar to a 3 pedal car. Drive it like an automatic and clutch life will be shorter.

The good news is it would take you about 5 minutes to teach your wife how to get around in an F1 car. It will take both of you longer to become really good with the system, but it is very rewarding once you do.

Those of us with F1 shifters, even those like me who have driven 3 pedal cars for 50 years, really enjoy the system.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
ZA- It really comes down to just treating it like a three pedal car and not letting it do all that automatic downshifting, which really wears the throw-out bearing. Little things you will learn, like coasting in neutral to a stop and what to do if the light changes. Hitting the downshift paddle gets you one gear lower than the way too high gear you will get by hitting the upshift button. Limiting backing up hills helps, too. You just get smoother as you gain experience.

Not a problem for your wife if she uses Auto mode. You expect it to do all that downshifting then, but she will be driving it infrequently, most likely. Cannot get too many bags of groceries in one. Somebody put an engine back there.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode