Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Ferrari Pre-Purchase Help (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-pre-purchase-help/)
-   -   Looking at 360... Warning signs? (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/ferrari-pre-purchase-help/15565-looking-360-warning-signs.html)

Msloos 11-15-2011 04:50 PM

Looking at 360... Warning signs?

I am looking to buy a 2001 360 with 26000 miles. I have asked for records and noted that the cam varintors have been replaced in 2009 and just this past August. Is this concerning or normal? Is the mileage too much? Are there other issues I should look to as a deal-breaker?

I would appreciate any advice...

tazandjan 11-15-2011 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Most of the variators were replaced during a Ferrari campaign several years ago. It would be unusual if they needed to be changed again, I would think.

26,000 miles is not a concern for a 10 year old car. That is only 2600 miles per year on average (that one was easy). It also means most problems should have been identified and fixed.

Msloos 11-16-2011 03:38 PM

Thanks for the information. That does help to settle some fears! Appreciate the help. Going to get a PPI of course, any buzz-words or issues I should keep and eye out for?

Boxer 11-16-2011 11:06 PM

I would not worry about the mileage at all. "Harsh" Ferrari Life - View Profile: Harsh

has well over 60,000 on his 360 Spider and the car runs beautifully.

Regarding other issue to look for, most are detailed in the 360 Buyers Guide:

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life

360 Modena 11-17-2011 02:35 PM

1358 Attachment(s)
Don't let mileage bother you, the car is obviously being driven and isn't a garage queen.

It is a paddle shift or 6-speed?

Regardless, check clutch wear.

Approx $5,000 to replace clutch on a 6-speed.

With that kind of mileage, it may have already been done. If not, it's probably due soon.

I didn't care much for the 360 at launch, but now it's one of my favorite cars.

Good-luck and enjoy:thumbsup:

Msloos 11-17-2011 05:19 PM

Thank you all so much! Going to schedule the PPI! Hope to meet you soon!

PTFunk 11-27-2011 08:43 PM

Please be sure to let us know how the PPI goes and what issues are found, if any. As a (hopeful) future 360 owner, I'd appreciate any nuggets of wisdom you gather during the purchasing process.

Msloos 11-28-2011 06:26 PM

Got the PPi. A few issues with the top mechanicals and a stuck heater flap. No mention of breaks or clutch other than to say they were checked. I was a little disappointed in the PPI report. I guess I expected more detail. The car I was looking at did not have all of the service records available. With all of the options out there I decided to keep looking. Maybe I am being too picky, but the little voice in my head was telling me to move on.

Boxer 11-28-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msloos (Post 164157)
Got the PPi. A few issues with the top mechanicals and a stuck heater flap. No mention of breaks or clutch other than to say they were checked. I was a little disappointed in the PPI report. I guess I expected more detail. The car I was looking at did not have all of the service records available. With all of the options out there I decided to keep looking. Maybe I am being too picky, but the little voice in my head was telling me to move on.

The PPI report should be a few pages long and include a long check list of all the electrics, engine compression, condition of the body, etc.

tazandjan 11-29-2011 11:03 AM

Decide in haste, repent lengthily at leisure. There are tons of good 360s out there. Do not limit yourself to a local car. A couple of plane tickets are cheap compared to a 10s of $K investment.

Italian Lover 11-29-2011 01:05 PM

Move on. w/ smiles Jimmy

Fiorano 11-29-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msloos (Post 164157)
but the little voice in my head was telling me to move on.

The little voice in your head is usually right (esp when it's telling you to buy...:thumbsup:). Right move to look elsewhere. Good luck with the continued search