"Certified" Ferraris...Opinions on the Process? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
"Certified" Ferraris...Opinions on the Process?

I have an '85 Testarossa and am interested in opinions of owners who have gone through the Certification process. Thanks, thorn

THORN McDANIEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornatty View Post
I have an '85 Testarossa and am interested in opinions of owners who have gone through the Certification process. Thanks, thorn
I have been approached a few times to have both the F40 & F50 certified. Have not done it for several reasons. At best all it proves isthat the car was in a certain state on a given date. Hence not sure what it is worth a year or two later. Other reason is they insistent that I replace the free flow sports exhaust on the F40 with a factory can before tehy would certify the car. The current is much better than the original and I failed to see how it should have made any difference.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
"Certified" by Ferrari

I can see several advantages to certain owners having the Certificate (generally, the older the car, the more relevant the certificate). It serves as a form of "Super-Inspection" when entering a Concours event, or when trying to sell the car. As this process rolls on, I'm sure we'll get all sorts of feedback both pro and con...

THORN McDANIEL

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
If we are talking about the Classique program. I always have objected to the Factory certification program. There are more experts out there that know the history of classic Ferraris when they left the factory than Ferrari will ever do.
It is my opinion that this is another way for Ferrari to make money, and its lot of it as well.
They have ignored the classic Ferrari market for years and now they want to corner it by certification, they dont want to acknowledge other experts only there own program. Na, dont seem right to me and i have read the horror stories about cars being in the middle of lengthy court cases ect. Also about Ferrari not recognising as original cars that themselves have modified one way or another.
But i suppose the more people subscribe to the Classique program, including the big events show like the Pebble beach ect. The more Ferrari will monopolise the Classic Ferrari market and in turn affect the prices of the certified cars and the non-certified cars.
I dont know if i am right or wrong, its just how i feel about it.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
One more black mark against the program, Ferrari now has a quota for dealers on Certifications. Miss your quota and they "fine" you GBP 4k. This is why dealers are pushing it.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
One more black mark against the program, Ferrari now has a quota for dealers on Certifications. Miss your quota and they "fine" you GBP 4k. This is why dealers are pushing it.

Wow.

As for the certification program, those above state the common reasons. First thought was to the newer owners, I've seen this before, it costs me money for little return. and 'might' have value for historic vehicles, BUT, those have typically all been documented to even have gotten into the program to start.

This program will catch on, about 10-15 years from now as
1. 60-70's cars are getting into that 'age' group of 'classics'.
2. Some, which are too many, and abound in the market truly, do, need some certification to set them back on the track...not every one will, is being tracked due to abundance and heavy mods by a list of owners.
3. as the economy and need to get better holding value cars become once again more important that green-machined newer ones [what I'm saying is there will be a market for older examples....never will change] then they will need certification for value holding.

Due to #2, #3 will become more an issue. Thinking certifying objects before it's too late, like watches, art, stuff......

Ferrari will become a keeper for many reasons, if not only to drive.

there will be a myrid of new, owners that are not drivers/car enthusiast, but portfollio managers.....in/out, money. Happened before, and will again in some future cycle.

The syndrom also dictates some big loosers and big winners.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode