Dinoplex Ignition Documentation - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
alh

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Dinoplex Ignition Documentation

Hi,

my documentation website about Marelli Dinoplex ignitions (http://www.dinoplex.org) is now virtually complete.
If you miss anything, please let me know, happy to add/change content.

Enjoy,
Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,849
Adrian- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Saw your excellent work over on the other site. Need to save it all to hard drive one of these days. A monumental effort.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
alh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Adrian- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Saw your excellent work over on the other site. Need to save it all to hard drive one of these days. A monumental effort.

(blush) Thanks, Terry! About myself, hmm, i love history cars (obviously) and live in Berlin but travel a lot. I am lucky to own both of the Dinos (246 GT and 308 GT4) which i absolutely love. Ferrarilife member since 2006 but took me some years for my first post as it seems. My job includes embedded electronics and automotive and my hobby is repairing and restoring classic/race ignitions and engine control units, this is where i can relax

post #4 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Adrian- Would love to see some photos of your cars up in the 246 and 308 sections. Your education lends itself to understanding the Dinoplexes. Had a 246 GT (02984) a long time ago. Traded for a Daytona (14009, long gone, too) in 1978.

Do you work on Bosch Motronic DMEs?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:

+1000 !!! Adrian, welcome to FL. Your expertise and knowledge is beyond the level of hobby or so called expert. You deserve and ought to be coined as professor in this field.

Looking forward to your inputs and we can all benefit from your participation, Adrian.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

PS. In the future, since I own a Dino 246 L Tipo, I may be seeking for help,...altho not sure what to ask.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
alh

Quote:
Adrian- Would love to see some photos of your cars up in the 246 and 308 sections. Your education lends itself to understanding the Dinoplexes. Had a 246 GT (02984) a long time ago. Traded for a Daytona (14009, long gone, too) in 1978.

Do you work on Bosch Motronic DMEs?
Sure, will do. A 246 GT swap against a Daytona is still a good deal, but i am quite attached to mine so its a keeper.

Motronic DMEs are too new, i would have the tools to find a fault but no access to spares. Newest systems i have worked with are Marelli's IAW as in the Ferrari F40, everything after that is no fun anymore.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Owner

Adrian, since I mentioned of my Dino 246 L, when I purchased the car back in 2004, there were few spare parts that came with the car. Now I thought they were useless and nonfunctional, but it seems like they can be resurrected with proper guidance. I think one item was a Dinoplex (?).
Gotta dig them out to see.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #8 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
alh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
PS. In the future, since I own a Dino 246 L Tipo, I may be seeking for help,...altho not sure what to ask.
Happy to help if it's anything with the electronics/ignition, if it's mechanics i pass! Good to know you, the next time i'm in or near Tokyo i'll ask you for a ride in your Dino
post #9 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh View Post
Happy to help if it's anything with the electronics/ignition, if it's mechanics i pass! Good to know you, the next time i'm in or near Tokyo i'll ask you for a ride in your Dino
If you are out to this part of the world next time, for sure, let me know. You are welcome to drive all of the cars currently under my care. Probably of interest to you would be 288 GTO and Abarth 750 GT Zagato 1958 ? And few more ?

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #10 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jimmy- You would not believe the difference in smoothness the Dinoplex makes over points and condenser, but maybe you just meant you had a spare Dinoplex. My Fiat Dino 2400 GT had only points and condenser when I bought her, but I added an MSD and the difference was amazing,

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #11 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
alh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
If you are out to this part of the world next time, for sure, let me know. You are welcome to drive all of the cars currently under my care. Probably of interest to you would be 288 GTO and Abarth 750 GT Zagato 1958 ? And few more ?
Wow, thanks for the fantastic offer, but i am more used to driving on the other side of the street so would prefer you as a driver!
BTW, excellent taste in cars!

Cheers,
Adrian
post #12 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy- You would not believe the difference in smoothness the Dinoplex makes over points and condenser, but maybe you just meant you had a spare Dinoplex. My Fiat Dino 2400 GT had only points and condenser when I bought her, but I added an MSD and the difference was amazing,
Terry, when I bought my Dino over the web, without seeing in person and only after few emails back in 2004, the seller in New York threw in some extra things like extra set of seats, Dinoplex, and few other odds and ends which I had no idea what they were (of course, right ?).

After going over some of Adrian's posts, it dawned on me that these parts can be resurrected !

I turst every word you say regarding the world of difference in performance with the upgrades.

Maybe I ought to get a little serious of improving my Dino from the current okay but not great condition !!!

Thanx, as always for your invaluable expertise and knowledge over these, which I wished I was a tiny bit more knowledgable myslf.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

PS. I ought to take some pics of the parts in the bin.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Owner

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the fantastic offer, but i am more used to driving on the other side of the street so would prefer you as a driver!
BTW, excellent taste in cars!

Cheers,
Adrian
Thank You, Adrian, ...and that is a promise. The offer is good.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #14 of 21 Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Jimmy- Is your Dino currently running with a Dinoplex? I would have put one on my Fiat Dino, but they were unobtainium in 1980 when I bought the car, so the MSD was the next best thing.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #15 of 21 Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy- Is your Dino currently running with a Dinoplex? I would have put one on my Fiat Dino, but they were unobtainium in 1980 when I bought the car, so the MSD was the next best thing.
Geez, Terry ! You are asking me an embarassing question because I never really checked !!!

I would promise to make a note of it and let you know. (Altho, I am quite certain it runs on Dinoplex. This waa a 1969 Dino Tipo L model imported to the US (probably via private) and was out of commision for well over a dozen years and had clocked around 64,000km when I bought it in 2004. (I am quite sure it was banged up and fixed and all that). The car has been very good to me since with only minor and unavoidable issues. Thus, I presume it does run on Dinoplex. I ought to get some pics of what I am talking about (if I know what I am talking about, that is !!! Yikes !). Will be back with this again soon.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #16 of 21 Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jimmy- No hurry. Sorry for putting you on the spot. All the early cars with Dinoplexes had a back-up condenser to go with the points and coils(s). If the Dinoplex(es) failed (fairly common), the condenser allowed you to run with a conventional points ignition. The Dinoplex, like most other capacitor discharge systems, used the points as a timing or trigger device and primary current did not flow through the points, extending their life, while also providing a more powerful spark to the plugs. With the points and condenser set-up, full coil energy passed through the points, and this tended to wear the contacts as metal was transferred from one contact to the other or the heavy current burned away the contacts.

Dinoplexes, or the more modern equivalents like MSD (multi-spark discharge), are easy to retrofit if yours is not installed and will make the car run smoother, extend point life, and prevent plug fouling. Some newer systems eliminate the points completely, but the points set-ups on the early Ferraris have been pretty reliable if well maintained.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Last edited by tazandjan; 12-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 AM
Owner

Finally, got around to find time to dig out the said Dinoplex (spare that came with the car).
Here's some pics of that.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Attached Images

post #18 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
alh

That is the correct DA type for your Dino, good!
post #19 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
That is the correct DA type for your Dino, good!
Adrian, do you suggest that I have this unit repaired for possible later use ? I suppose I can have any shop that is competent in doing such work ? Or maybe it is more wise to keep it as it is for now ?

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #20 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
alh

Why not, then you have a functional spare if you should need one. What ignition do you have currently installed in your Dino?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode