How do I get started? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
How do I get started?

I'm sorry if I wrote this in the wrong section but I am 14 years old and I want to know to know if there is anyway that I can get a head start at being a private mechanic. I know I'm a little young but even if I have to wait a few years I just want to know how to get a head start. ( I already have a bit of experience with cars ).

Thanks
RayB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
I'm sorry if I wrote this in the wrong section but I am 14 years old and I want to know to know if there is anyway that I can get a head start at being a private mechanic. I know I'm a little young but even if I have to wait a few years I just want to know how to get a head start. ( I already have a bit of experience with cars ).

Thanks
RayB
What do you mean by "private"? If you just mean auto mechanic a lot of the dealers have great training programs along with the manufacturers. A big part of the job now requires someone that can understand the electronics and emmisions systems. I don't see many people getting a start in the backyard under a tree anymore. Some of the community colleges also have some programs.

My personal opinion is to find another line of work and work on your own cars for fun like I do. I do find cars interesting and it certainly requires more skill than most professions but the downside is a lot of the people you would be working for will make your life hell and take advantage of you. I worked in a dealership for a year after high school and that gave me the motivation to go back to school and do something else. I hated cars for many years after that.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
What do you mean by "private"? If you just mean auto mechanic a lot of the dealers have great training programs along with the manufacturers. A big part of the job now requires someone that can understand the electronics and emmisions systems. I don't see many people getting a start in the backyard under a tree anymore. Some of the community colleges also have some programs.

My personal opinion is to find another line of work and work on your own cars for fun like I do. I do find cars interesting and it certainly requires more skill than most professions but the downside is a lot of the people you would be working for will make your life hell and take advantage of you. I worked in a dealership for a year after high school and that gave me the motivation to go back to school and do something else. I hated cars for many years after that.

In your first paragraph, not getting a start under the tree in the back yard, that is exactly part of the problem and why there is such a shortage of quality mechanics or any other skilled trade you can name either. Kids no longer grow up working with their hands and by the time they join the work force they have zero skills. The programs you speak of have no way of addressing that problem. It is a huge problem and is finally being recognized by all the industries but no one really has a clue as yet what to do about it. There is talk about trying to rehabilitate the concept of trade schools and acceptability of trades as career paths but any real change will not come in my lifetime.

As for the second paragraph, I agree. I do not encourage anyone to go into the car business. It has changed dramatically and not for the better.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
Sadly, it is not just the car industry.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,846
Don- Find a shop where you would like to work and see if they will let you work after school sweeping up, washing cars, and shagging parts. Will be much easier after you get a driver's license. Like Brian said, take all the math and physics courses you can so you can get a start on understanding gear ratios, electricity and circuits, etc. See if your community college offers courses on auto maintenance that you might be able to take in the evening, even while still in high school.

Make a name for yourself as a go getter and the shop where you are helping should be willing to move you up and give you some on the job training. Everybody starts at the bottom initially. There are all kinds of how to books in the public library. Good way to cure insomnia and learn something at the same time.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Don, good place to ask - high end cars here!

You could stop by some high-end car dealerships and ask the mechanics where they got their training. After asking around, you'll get a good idea where to start and what it takes to get started. Ask if they worked anywhere that helped with the financing- maybe a program is offered from the dealership where they currently work. Good luck.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
Don, good place to ask - high end cars here!

You could stop by some high-end car dealerships and ask the mechanics where they got their training. After asking around, you'll get a good idea where to start and what it takes to get started. Ask if they worked anywhere that helped with the financing- maybe a program is offered from the dealership where they currently work. Good luck.
I know most of the manufacturers have set up thier own schools. GM has one and many of the dealerships hire guys at the bottom and send them to school while they work as a helper to one of the senior mechanics. Start collecting some decent tools.

Life is Good!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks everybody!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Owner

If you get a chance look at the 308 v12 conversion thread in the projects section here. Mk e went to a college with a Formula SAE program. Look at the stuff he is doing and tell me that it's not some really cool sh!t. I was more likely to drop out of high school than go to college when I was 14 and even when I was 17. I transfered to a high school that had great vocational programs and took auto body repair and learned skills I still use. I worked at a dealership for a year and then went to college for engineering. I started out by just taking some classes that looked fun never expecting I'd like it and want to continue.

Life is Good!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,515
I saw we all chip in, fund his education, and put him on retainer. Smart kid asking a great question on this thread.

I wanted to be a pilot, so I went to the locals airport and asked what I needed to do to get free flying lessons at the age of 13. I cleaned the offices, bathroorms, cut grass, refueled airplanes, and tore down engines for a rebuild. At 16 I soled, at 17 I was licenses, at 18 I had a multi-engine airplane rating. All without taking a single dime from my parents too.

I like the idea of asking to apprentice at a local independent garage. Chances are, the owner's only son doesn't want to get his hands dirty anyway and instead, he plans to go to college so he can bus tables when he graduates.

Good-luck and chase your dreams!
post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
I saw we all chip in, fund his education, and put him on retainer. Smart kid asking a great question on this thread.

I wanted to be a pilot, so I went to the locals airport and asked what I needed to do to get free flying lessons at the age of 13. I cleaned the offices, bathroorms, cut grass, refueled airplanes, and tore down engines for a rebuild. At 16 I soled, at 17 I was licenses, at 18 I had a multi-engine airplane rating. All without taking a single dime from my parents too.

I like the idea of asking to apprentice at a local independent garage. Chances are, the owner's only son doesn't want to get his hands dirty anyway and instead, he plans to go to college so he can bus tables when he graduates.

Good-luck and chase your dreams!
Trust me, The owners son wants nothing but to take over the dealership to see if he can be a bigger asshole than his dad. Seen it too many times.

Life is Good!
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
...and by 21 he was already on the no fly list and banned from Shepard Park, Good Guys and had to stay at least 500 feet from schools and playgrounds.

Life is Good!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 531
awesome thread.

I think its great that many of you wrote such positive responses to this young man's question. some of us...would still like to learn how to work on cars but more for pleasure and the rewarding feeling of "wow! i did that?" i for one am grateful that i took a different career path so that i could afford to be shopping for such great pieces of engineering such as the Ferrari's. It was and still is the Ferrari dream that motivated me to work so hard throughout school and now in my own business. Hence, i hope the young man will keep his options open and plan ahead but not forget to dream big! my dad always said to aim really high and you might just hit a little bit below it. story if my life so far...

Cheng

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode