Road Trip - Assistance Please - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Road Trip - Assistance Please

Im taking my wife on an 8 week road trip this July & August.

Leaving from Spain's Costa Blanca & traveling through Southern France, Monaco, Italy & probably including Switzerland & Austria.

We're visiting Maranello in July; so my wife can enjoy her 1st Factory Tour

Are there any:
Spectacular Roads & Passes we must do in any of the countries listed?
Places we must visit?
Accommodation recommendations?
Motoring Museums, Circuits, Events we should not miss?

Basically anything I should do to make this a Road Trip of a lifetime!

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you're able to give me, hopefully we can meet up with some of you too

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Peter,
I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on this but here are my thoughts. Some of the elements of the FLEE you set up but did not attend The Panini collection is a must see, beside the well know Maranello Museum and the Casa Ferrari museums. Try to do the Maserati factory tour, as well, the atmosphere is very different to Ferrari, and the Pagani factory, moved to new building since the FLEE;.
A city I like but is not often mentioned is Turin. It is not just Fiat. The old city centre is worth seeing . There are several museums including a car museum, when I was there many years ago they had the V12 1.5 litre Delage used by Richard Seaman in 1935, among others. Also a museum with a very important collection of Egyptian stuff. The royal Armoury Museum is also worth a visit. Not to mention the Turin Shroud, although I'm not sure where this is located. Then there is the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse, Bugattis galore, with a railway museum not too far away and I think you can get a dual ticket for the two.
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #3 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 03:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
In Milano, look up Bronzino House.

In Alba, we always stay at Brico di Cogni (La Morra)
Livio and Claudia will treat you like family.
I garantee you will not want to leave.

Quartopiano in Modena is a lovely place to stay.
And I wouldn't go to Modena, or northren Italy for that matter, without a visit to Antika Moka. Sandro and his mother make some of the best food on the planet.

I'll write out some more later today.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
When in the truffle triangle, a nice place to stay is Relais San Maurizio, by the village of Santo Stefano Belbo. I go there every autumn.
Attached Images

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Nigel, Johan & David - thank you guys, very much appreciated

You'll have experienced some phenomenal driving roads & passes on your travels, which ones MUST I do?

Also a few of you went on an Italian FLED, to Tuscany IIRC, any tips from that?

Im now thinking of spending 4 of the 8 weeks traveling through Italy & her bordering countries, so please keep the tips flowing as I want to plan our trip over the next week & don't want to miss out on anything worthwhile.

Thanks again...

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #6 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Go West young man, go West! SW coast of FR is amazing!

Here's some of the cities and sites we visited that left a lifelong impression during one of our 18 trips to France:

Carcassone (walled city, stayed at hotel just outside the entrance),
St Tropez (saw a Testraossa there! a very bucolic setting),
Marseille (an historic roman port, BEST pizza, a jug of wine and a bench to sleep it off in the harbor),
Salon (toured Norstradamus' home and visited his tomb),
Saintes Marie de la Mere (attended the annual gypsy festival, Google it),
Aix-en-Provence and Nimes -- artists haven

We also took a side trip into Andorra and Spain.

The sights were incredible; the people were warm, delightful and very accomodating. The food (mostly pain et frommage) with wine was incredible. Unfortunately, many did not want to speak French to me. They wanted to practice their English. Yeah, that's the reason (smiles)
post #7 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Owner

Do the Route Napoleon. On the way there, Marseille has a little seaside hotel close to the old port called Le Petit Nice Passédat. They have a great Bouille à Baisse and the owner also has a very nice French bulldog to salute you at the reception.

Tuscany is nice but the roads are occasionally full of potholes without the least warning.

All the mountain passes are beautiful but in July-August you will find loads of camper vans and erratic drivers.

Croatia and the Dalmatian coast used to be great for driving. Could still be great but for sure more tourists nowadays.

The Dolomites have lovely driving roads.

Also try google motorcycle forums for great roads in these areas.

Salve,
Capo

post #8 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Al - also some great suggestions, thank you!

Whilst we are very familiar with the French Riviera & Provencial areas to the east of Aix-en-Provence, we have yet to venture west of Marseilles along the French SW region, so your recommendations include some pretty damn good must visits places we can't miss out, such as Carcassone, am looking forward to taking in as many others as we can too.

Ive got some fantastic recommendations from some of you guys, but please keep them coming

post #9 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Capo.....

We've done Route Napoleon from/to Grenoble many times now, cracking road, as are some of her side roads!

In 2002 we took a 2 week vacation at Gardone Riviera, Lake Garda & I remember the area as being spectacular, so Im thinking we should revisit this area and also include other worthwhile lakes & more of Lombardy as this is an area we haven't really explored too much, as you are a 'local' what other recommendations can you give us?

I'll let you know our final route & dates so Hamish can see his favourite Uncle, if your around at same time

My wife's 50th birth year is the inspiration for my putting this tour together, she loves travel & is a a huge Ferrari F1 Fan, hence our trip to the Factory!

So keen em coming guys

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-04-2015 at 07:51 AM.
post #10 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Croatia and the Dalmatian coast used to be great for driving. Could still be great but for sure more tourists nowadays.
I can second that!

Whole Istria and Rijeka area are phenomenal for driving, Učka pass, Buzet, Buje, Plominka, Senj - Karlobag - Maslenica is known for its scenery, mountains on one side, sea on the other side and the asphalt quality is great.
Opatija is Adriatic Monte Carlo, really. Enough said. Go google it .
Main coastal road from Zadar downwards is busy during Summer, however, there are some great roads if you go to islands of Korčula, Hvar, Pag (many car promo photos taken on Pag!).

If you decide to visit Croatia, PM me, I would love to help you.

PS: Č (Učka, Korčula) = ch as in church, child.

Last edited by DogZy; 03-04-2015 at 10:12 AM.
post #11 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

DogZy - you've peaked my interest in Croatia, its easy to get there from Italy too. Off to do some research, thank you!

post #12 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

DogZy - thank you for your very kind offer but we won't manage Croatia on this tour, there's just so much we want to see & do in Italy as its a country we haven't really explored to date.

We've stayed in Lake Garda, Lake Como, Portofino, Milan & Verona and Ive been to Maranello, Modena & Bologna, so there's loads left to enjoy.

Will definitely take in as many of the Mountain Passes as possible in Northern Italy & bordering Switzerland and then we'll head south & take in Pisa, Florence, Venice, Rome etc... & once we've 'done' Italy, we'll return to Spain via Monaco, Côte d'Azur, Provence & SW France and Ice already added some of your recommendations in, thank you

Were to spend a week based near Modena so we can enjoy some of what Motor Valley has to offer & of course take in a Factory Tour in Maranello.

Nigel - thanks Id forgotten I had the Maranello FLEE trip I planned fir you guys on my laptops drive, I'll revisit it tomorrow & organise some of those things to enjoy too!

So guys........now you've a better idea on what Im trying to put together how many more golden nuggets can you sprinkle atop this trip to make it truly unforgettable?

Btw, Im surprised our Italian members have yet to chip in...perhaps they will now

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-04-2015 at 02:12 PM.
post #13 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
I've never driven in Italy but I have seen a lot of it from trains. The Amalfi coast is great, catch a ferry to Capri. Around Venice as well, Venezia, Verona and up north into the mountains.

The problem with touring in Italy (probably anywhere in Europe for that matter) is that it just doesn't stop.

Apart from our Eastern coastal fringe, to go anywhere here involves hours of monotony to get to any interesting areas.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #14 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 204
Dear Peter,
Thank you for taking my advice in consideration. Given the thought you are travelling from mid Spain through France, Italy, Switzerland and back again, anything more would be too much. There will be next time, you have to save something for next time.

Seems like you have planned it all to the finest details, I am sure it will be mega. Try to squeeze in Siena, its a magnificent old town with lots of history. And try out local (but globally famous) wines Chianti, Vernaccia... Don't drink and drive

EDIT: @16M
Costa di Amalfi, Capri, Sardinia and Sicilia - heavenly beautiful.
post #15 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
I will email someone for you who organizes road trips all over Europe, he once told me about this beautiful road somewhere located near Lake Como... Pretty sure you will love the roads there. Ill get back to you on that!
post #16 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZy View Post
I can second that!

Whole Istria and Rijeka area are phenomenal for driving, Učka pass, Buzet, Buje, Plominka, Senj - Karlobag - Maslenica is known for its scenery, mountains on one side, sea on the other side and the asphalt quality is great.
Opatija is Adriatic Monte Carlo, really. Enough said. Go google it .
Main coastal road from Zadar downwards is busy during Summer, however, there are some great roads if you go to islands of Korčula, Hvar, Pag (many car promo photos taken on Pag!).

If you decide to visit Croatia, PM me, I would love to help you.

PS: Č (Učka, Korčula) = ch as in church, child.
Thanks, Dogzy!!

I'm very keen to rediscover the Adriatic. I was there for work before the fall of the iron curtain and also after, but before the war. We rented a Golf diesel and explored the wonderful roads and scenery. My plan for rediscovery is grand and it rolls out in three stages. First I'll go in the 430 to enjoy the beautiful roads and the great roadside restaurants with suckling lamb. Second stage is to go with my 4X4 with my motorcycle trailer to discover the back roads and trails. Third stage is to base my old sailing boat near Rijeka. It's a long voyage from Scandinavia to the Adriatic but I'll take my time, discovering as many ports as possible along the way. If the sailing project becomes reality, it will likely not be earlier than two years from now.

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

David & Nick - thanks guys &
DogZy - thanks, will include a visit to Siena, just googled it & looks terrific. Would love to take in Costa do Amalfi, Capro, Sardinia & Sicilia also....they're up there, but might have to leave something for 'next time'.

Im hopefully going to start planning the route tomorrow,, from there I can look at hotel options etc.

I know Top Gear did a fantastic drive through Switzerland & Italy from Davos to Stelvio, but the roads were closed for those lucky guys, at that time of year Im imagining Buses, Motorhomes, Cyclists & Bloody Tourists slowing down to see a roadside flower they've seen millions of times before, leaving little for an eager V8 Ferrari to shout about, any other suggestions for great & driving roads I must take?

post #18 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
If you're going through Switzerland the St Bernard pass into Italy is a must see!
They keep the dogs in kennels just outside the old monastery. The pass itself dates back to the Bronze Age and was used by Caesar, Augustus' and Napolean's armies. I was in a short sleeve shirt at the lake in late fall surrounded by snow, but it was relatively mild.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_St_Bernard_Pass

Obviously Lake Geneva as well to see the famous flower clock and lake fountain. However, I suspect you've already been there before.
post #19 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Al, haven't driven the St Bernard Pass, Ive heard the best route is south to north, guess I'll just have to drive both ways to find out, what a drag eh, lol.

Ive been to Lake Geneva a few times for short breaks, but I flew in & never drove around, so that's another 2 MUST DO's added to my list.....

Thanks guys, you're all top blokes

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-04-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #20 of 85 Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Owner

Peter!

Since you are also a grand dog person, when at St. Bernard, don't forget to donate to the two foundations which cater for the wellbeing and future of the St. Bernard dogs! The monastery couldn't cope with the heavy task and invited two foundations to take over the breeding responsibilities/costs. Some day I might adopt one...

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode