Road Trip - Assistance Please - Page 4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Peter, that's a good one. Dangerous presumptions.

Would luv to place myself there.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Peter, that's a good one. Dangerous presumptions.

Would luv to place myself there.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

What under that donkey, lol

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #63 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
As we'll be in Italy, this is somewhat appropriate!

How Italians Tell Time
Think I'll have the wife move the clock over to my side of the bed....

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #64 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Hey Peter, the places we stayed are The Hotel Centrale in Garda and The Palazzo Alexander in Lucca.

Centrale had a great view (albeit small windows). There was a shopping/restaurant area about 100m away with a nice boardwalk along the water.

What can I say about Lucca, one of my favorite cities? Everything about it is enjoyable. Visit the circular piazzai, esp in the morning when they've set up all the flower stands and do a giro on the wall, particularly after a big meal the night before!

post #65 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Think I'll have the wife move the clock over to my side of the bed....
Very wise

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #66 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Hey Peter, the places we stayed are The Hotel Centrale in Garda and The Palazzo Alexander in Lucca.

Centrale had a great view (albeit small windows). There was a shopping/restaurant area about 100m away with a nice boardwalk along the water.

What can I say about Lucca, one of my favorite cities? Everything about it is enjoyable. Visit the circular piazzai, esp in the morning when they've set up all the flower stands and do a giro on the wall, particularly after a big meal the night before!
Thank you David....never having been to Tuscany we're really looking forward to Lucca & surrounding areas.

post #67 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you David....never having been to Tuscany we're really looking forward to Lucca & surrounding areas.
OK, we'll keep telling you about places we visited as we think of them.

post #68 of 85 Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
OK, we'll keep telling you about places we visited as we think of them.

You guys on this forum are just the best!!!

post #69 of 85 Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,499
Quote:
As we'll be in Italy, this is somewhat appropriate!

How Italians Tell Time

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #70 of 85 Old 03-11-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The theme runs on, oops!!!

An Italian Man was visiting USA for the first time and was eating breakfast at his hotel, and when the waiter brought his toast, there was only one piece. The Italian man said, "I want two piss." The waiter said, "Go to the restroom." The Italian replied, "No, I wan two piss on me plate." The waiter said, "You better not piss on the plate, you son of a bitch!"
Later, at another reaturant the Italian man was eating dinner. He realized he had no fork, and told the waitress, "I wanna fock." She answered, "Everyone wants to." He answered, "No, you see, I wanna fock on da table." She answered, "You better not do that on the table, you son of a bitch!"
He went back to his hotel room, and saw that he had no sheet on his bed. The Italian called the front desk and said, "I wanna sheet on me bed." He said, "You'd better not shit in the bed, you son of a bitch!"
The next morning the Italian man is upset with this bad treatment and is checking out of the hotel. The man behind the desk says, "Peace to you." The Italian turns around and yells, "Piss onna you too, you sonna ma bitch! Iza gonna back a to Italy"

post #71 of 85 Old 04-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Stay home ya daft jock. dont want to show you up in the SOF with your bad driving again!

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #72 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Stay home ya daft jock. dont want to show you up in the SOF with your bad driving again!

Italian Lover
post #73 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Guys

Have you any recommendations on where we should travel once we leave Maranello to continue our tour to the South of Italy?

I was thinking of heading towards Florence, Siena, Rome, Naples & the Amalfi Coast & down to Sicily.....

But you may know of other places that we must see ???
Peter, I am totally enthralled in this thread but I am only up to this post. All to the above cities are fantastic. Please let me add a little. Cruise slowly through Roma with your valves unplugged! Ah the imagery. the old sites the sounds. I have spent around one month in Rome over many holidays, yet yearn for more. If anyone is stupid enough just pm me to be bombarded with info. Tuscany is terrific. It is all fabulous. You could spend many Summers there. Sienna at the Palio ?spelling is a must. Oh Pompei - if you like anything to do with the past this is an absolute must - I have the perfect hotel to join an archeologic dig. The Amalfi coast well - breathtaking. Leave your car in Amalfi or Positano. Catch the ferry to Capri and be in the holiday destination of the Emperors. Climb up to Villa Jovi and look over the leap. Be glad you were not the dinner guest and that we live in our century.

Also from your Barcelona area to Biarritz over the Pyrenees, is just fabulous. But as I am getting jealous of you Europeans I must stat withholding information. TBC
post #74 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
John - huge thanks for these recommendations, I'll definitely add them in if its at all possible. Can you recommend good places to stay if I can make them work?

Our entire trip pivots around the date Im taking my wife on her 1st Ferrari Factory Tour as she is an avid Ferrari F1 fan, so I have 2 date options for July & over this weekend I'll settle on one & plan the rest of our trip around it. I'll try to take in everyone's recommendations, with the exception of Capos brothels in Turin, dirty, dirty boy!

This will be a trip of a lifetime for us, as apart from the Italian Lakes area, Portofino, Milan & Verona the rest of Italy is a journey we've yet to discover together. So I really do appreciate all of your recommendations guys, please keep them coming!
I'm up to post 39. Having a great time reading this. With all due respect to the man Capo who I admire (Although he squelched in Sydney this year) I don't think your beautiful wife will be interested in the Best Brothels in Italy tour.

If you go to the Amalfi coast , base yourself in either Sorrento or Amalfi as they are o the coast. Other towns are an excruciating walk to where any action is.

I cannot speak for Sardinia but I would only venture to Sicily if you have exhausted the mainland.

The east coast is OK but I feel the action is mainly on the west coast. Unless you ar a hiker or really like old impoverished antiquity - forget Cinque Terre. Go straight to Bellagio.

Hey go and see Fabio in Roma. I'm sure he we show you around.

I'll keep reading.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #75 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
hey that explains the reason why my wife grabs them

post #76 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 795
Peter thanks for the picture of you in your new kilt.... It suits you
Attached Images

Cars
458 coupe normale, California T, Speciale A, 458 GT3, FF Maserati Ghibli diesel!
on way in 2015: La F, and 488, 2016 488 spider
post #77 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
I can't help with Siena, I am afraid, as each time we have visited, we have been staying in Lajatico as our base for touring the region - Pisa, Florence, Lucca (another place you ought to think about putting on your itinerary - fabulous old walled city, you may have seen it on Top Gear a couple of years ago), Forte dei Marmi (fashionable seaside resort, beaches etc. and all the best shops for Her Indoors to max your credit card) and Siena are all about an hour's drive. I imagine that accommodation in Siena gets fairly booked up around the times of the Palio

Lajatico is only a small village with no particular attraction other than once a year at the time of the concert, so what few places there are to stay in the village tend to be booked solid as soon as the date of the concert is announced. In any case, we have always stayed for one or two weeks, so rented a flat for our visit. There is, however, a very nice hotel just outside Lajatico - we have never stayed there, but always eat in the restaurant at least once or twice during our stay, which must say something good about it, and the rest of the place looks fairly decent, so that might be a possibility, see Azienda Naturalistica La Vallata | Lajatico
Lina and I arrived a decade ago into Sienna. Said to the cab. "please take us to the hotel district" the reply " they are nearly all booked out because of the 'Palio'". "what's a Palio". "A 500 year old tradition" We were stuck there but what an experience it turned out. Go and see this guys. Even Capo would have a great time from what I saw!!!

post #78 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:52 AM
Owner

Quote:
The theme runs on, oops!!!

An Italian Man was visiting USA for the first time and was eating breakfast at his hotel, and when the waiter brought his toast, there was only one piece. The Italian man said, "I want two piss." The waiter said, "Go to the restroom." The Italian replied, "No, I wan two piss on me plate." The waiter said, "You better not piss on the plate, you son of a bitch!"
Later, at another reaturant the Italian man was eating dinner. He realized he had no fork, and told the waitress, "I wanna fock." She answered, "Everyone wants to." He answered, "No, you see, I wanna fock on da table." She answered, "You better not do that on the table, you son of a bitch!"
He went back to his hotel room, and saw that he had no sheet on his bed. The Italian called the front desk and said, "I wanna sheet on me bed." He said, "You'd better not shit in the bed, you son of a bitch!"
The next morning the Italian man is upset with this bad treatment and is checking out of the hotel. The man behind the desk says, "Peace to you." The Italian turns around and yells, "Piss onna you too, you sonna ma bitch! Iza gonna back a to Italy"
That's funny

An Italian mother thought it at hilarious that her son wanted to build a car out of spaghetti! She soon stopped laughing when her son drove pasta!

post #79 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
Peter thanks for the picture of you in your new kilt.... It suits you
Hey guys that answers the question "What does a Scot hide under his kilt" Not ver much!

Have a fun day guys

post #80 of 85 Old 04-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
Quote:
Thanks Capo.....

We've done Route Napoleon from/to Grenoble many times now, cracking road, as are some of her side roads!

In 2002 we took a 2 week vacation at Gardone Riviera, Lake Garda & I remember the area as being spectacular, so Im thinking we should revisit this area and also include other worthwhile lakes & more of Lombardy as this is an area we haven't really explored too much, as you are a 'local' what other recommendations can you give us?

I'll let you know our final route & dates so Hamish can see his favourite Uncle, if your around at same time

So keen em coming guys
I like to add my 2 cents to this.

First, I 100% agree on not going the Route Napoleon, go the little roads beside it. Why?

Just Look:

Then the Verdun area in France:

If you go to Saint Tropez, do not miss the "Venice of France" Port Grimaud:

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Grimaud

Sometime Ferrari-Drivers are asked to park far away from the main entrance:

Guess why?

Anyway, it is interesting inside, we got a private factory tour and visited the museum.

...and of course, just go around the Italian Lakes a bit, this should be Largo di Garda or Largo Maggiore:

If you need any further information I need to dig in my in memory a bit more, the trip was 6 years ago.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode