Road Trip - Assistance Please - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 85 Old 03-07-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Thanks again for your suggestions & advice John. As we'll be on the road for circa 6-8 weeks the thought of just staying in hotels doesn't excite me, so if we're going to be staying in an area for a week or two I'll be searching out apartments & houses to rent too.

This new area you mention has great appeal & Im sure my wife will enjoy the stores in Forte dei Marmi & I am adding this place into our tour!

Short story...
Leading up to September 2011 I was a very, very excited wee boy. Id been offered a place with my 16M on Ferrari's World Spider Tour of 100 Spiders representing every period from 1947 to 2011. I couldn't imagine anything more rewarding to myself, so I didn't hesitate to accept.
Forte dei Marmi was to be our starting point, before travelling in convoy to Fiorano & culminating with the worldwide launch of their new 458 Spider.
My journey was immediately booked. I would collect my passenger in Edinburgh & we were leaving 10 days before the event & as you can imagine, I was so looking forward to enjoying my 16M on the drive to & from & on this event. Id long planned to take a Ferrari over the Swiss & Italian Alps and finally to do it in my beloved 16M was a dream come true.
Three weeks prior to the start date I went in for knee surgery & came out in a leg brace, I was forced to pull out. I was properly, properly gutted. More so afterwards as months later when my brace came off we discovered the surgery was a failure & another procedure was scheduled
The upside to this story is I'll now be able to retrace the route with my beautiful wife by my side, so it's turned out ok after all.

Is Lucca the walled city where Clarkson drove the Orange Citroen DS3 Hammond drove the white Fiat 500 Convertible & May the green Renault Clio?

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-07-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 Old 03-07-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Tour Finalised, looks like this.

SW France
Côte d'Azur
Swiss & Italian Alps & Lakes
Maranello & Motor Valley
Tuscany & Umbria
Corsica & Sardinia
Provence & Mediterranean Coastline.

Sincerest thanks to you all for your recommendations & time taken

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-09-2015 at 04:45 AM.
post #43 of 85 Old 03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish16M View Post
Thanks again for your suggestions & advice John. As we'll be on the road for circa 6-8 weeks the thought of just staying in hotels doesn't excite me, so if we're going to be staying in an area for a week or two I'll be searching out apartments & houses to rent too.

This new area you mention has great appeal & Im sure my wife will enjoy the stores in Forte dei Marmi & I am adding this place into our tour!

Short story...
Leading up to September 2011 I was a very, very excited wee boy. Id been offered a place with my 16M on Ferrari's World Spider Tour of 100 Spiders representing every period from 1947 to 2011. I couldn't imagine anything more rewarding to myself, so I didn't hesitate to accept.
Forte dei Marmi was to be our starting point, before travelling in convoy to Fiorano & culminating with the worldwide launch of their new 458 Spider.
My journey was immediately booked. I would collect my passenger in Edinburgh & we were leaving 10 days before the event & as you can imagine, I was so looking forward to enjoying my 16M on the drive to & from & on this event. Id long planned to take a Ferrari over the Swiss & Italian Alps and finally to do it in my beloved 16M was a dream come true.
Three weeks prior to the start date I went in for knee surgery & came out in a leg brace, I was forced to pull out. I was properly, properly gutted. More so afterwards as months later when my brace came off we discovered the surgery was a failure & another procedure was scheduled
The upside to this story is I'll now be able to retrace the route with my beautiful wife by my side, so it's turned out ok after all.

Is Lucca the walled city where Clarkson drove the Orange Citroen DS3 Hammond drove the white Fiat 500 Convertible & May the green Renault Clio?
How very interesting. Well, now is, as you say, your chance to make up for what you missed.

Yes, that is Lucca. Lovely place. We stayed there on our way south four years ago and it was a nightmare trying to squeeze my E-class estate through the narrow streets of the old town to get to our hotel. The Top Gear boys made a wiser choice of cars!

If you do go to Forte, be sure to be there on Wednesday: in addition to the stores, there is an enormous market on Wednesday mornings, full of designer clothes, for your wife to explore. My wife and daughter rate it very highly. It is a cut above the weekly markets in other places, which sell mostly cheap tat - this is quality stuff, but at bargain prices.

I am afraid the only place on which I can comment on apartments to rent, is in Lajatico, as we have never stayed anywhere else in Tuscany (other than one-nighters in hotels). We are staying there again for a week at the end of July / beginning of August this year (for Bocelli's concerts - my daughter has become friends with the family and helps out at the concert and in the ABF shop) and then having a week in Pietrasanta (just up the coast from Forte), but I think Her Indoors has booked us into an hotel there.

Let me know your itinerary when you finalise it - maybe our paths will cross.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport

post #44 of 85 Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Road Trip - Assistance Please

John

Will definitely take in all you recommend, if at all possible & once all accommodations booked Ill ping you a PM to see if we can meet up, be real good to thank you in person for all your assistance!

Thanks also for the additional tip on Forte, little nuggets like this will enrich our trip. Sounds like designer knock offs, wonder if we'll see Del & Rodder's, lol

As we're going by Ferrari, driving in places like Lucca will certainly be an experience, Ive had loads of how the hell will I get down or turn into there moments here in Spain so more fun & challenges await Im sure!

Hope to meet up with you in July

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-09-2015 at 04:32 AM.
post #45 of 85 Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Peter, full of envy. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #46 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Quote:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Jimmy, was reading about an awesome mountainous rally route in Corsica, saying "you need a head for heights, as some of the roads are extremely precipitous & notably lacking in Armco". So that's another route added on the tour!
Attached Images

post #47 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
Quote:
That's very kind of you Nick, thank you

Ive heard there's much more car related things to enjoy there than just the old Fiat Factory, but to date I don't know what, is the city worth a visit?

It definitely is, beautiful city centre!
There are several car museums that are worth visiting.
The hills above Torino are great to drive also. If you want to see a real Italian little village you can go to Caselle(TO) and go for a nice lunch across the village centre church. Via Roma is ''the'' brand shopping street in Turin, it's in the middle of the city centre!

I've contacted the guy i told you about who organizes road trips etc... The road i meant was somewhere around Lago 'd Iseo really really epic!
post #48 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
David, cooooeeeey, David......

Im still waiting on the 'some more later today'

Cooooeeeey, as our buddy 16M Down Under would say
Peter,
Sorry for the delay.
Now that your itinerary is more focused, here are some things we recommend:

Lakes
The Lakes - My wife loves thelakes, I could easily never see the area again and live happily everafter. More Porches than Fiats, and toofull of tadeski and their heavy food. Thatsaid, we did stay at a lovely place on Lago di Garda with a spectacular view ofthe lake. I’ll ask the wife for the nameif you’re interested.
After your fill of all thingsFerrari, get away from Maranello. Modenais a wonderful city and I think many tifosi overlook it. Not too big, not too small, we easily spendseveral days there.

Tuscany:
Cortona
Villa Piazzano – About threemiles outside of the hilltop town of Cortona, it’s a retreat from the world. Itwill give you the Under The Tuscan Sun experience.
I know you said you were lookingat renting a villa or apartment. We’velooked at this option and have never really found something we liked enough tochoose it over the B&Bs we know. Andif you’re only staying a week or less, I wouldn’t bother with an apartment.
Places to eat (not to miss): La Bucaccia,Osteria del Teatro, La Loggetta

Lucca
I’ll echo what’s been said aboutdriving in Lucca. If you stay inside thewalls, it’s best to leave your car outside (you may have to) as parking isscarce and the streets are incredibly small. Else, for a place outside the walls, I’d recommend the Hotel Fabbrica diSan Martino. A beautiful place, you won’twant to leave.

We prefer to stay in Lucca anduse it as a base camp for day trips to Florence, Siena, and even as far away asPerugia. However, just for somethingdifferent, this year we’re going to stay in Florence proper for our base camp.
And watch out for the brigidini, they’remore addictive than crack cocaine!!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #49 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 550
I'm in Italy same period i think, let me know dates for lake Como area and Turin
post #50 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Owner

Peter,....WOW ! Looking at that photo and I am already having a dizzy spell.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #51 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBongio View Post
It definitely is, beautiful city centre!
There are several car museums that are worth visiting.
The hills above Torino are great to drive also. If you want to see a real Italian little village you can go to Caselle(TO) and go for a nice lunch across the village centre church. Via Roma is ''the'' brand shopping street in Turin, it's in the middle of the city centre!

I've contacted the guy i told you about who organizes road trips etc... The road i meant was somewhere around Lago 'd Iseo really really epic!
Thanks Nick....if we can fit Turin in we will. We'll have a pretty full schedule & most definitely won't be on the road daily, a nice pool will call our names some days!

post #52 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Peter,
Sorry for the delay.
Now that your itinerary is more focused, here are some things we recommend:

Lakes
The Lakes - My wife loves thelakes, I could easily never see the area again and live happily everafter. More Porches than Fiats, and toofull of tadeski and their heavy food. Thatsaid, we did stay at a lovely place on Lago di Garda with a spectacular view ofthe lake. I’ll ask the wife for the nameif you’re interested.
After your fill of all thingsFerrari, get away from Maranello. Modenais a wonderful city and I think many tifosi overlook it. Not too big, not too small, we easily spendseveral days there.

Tuscany:
Cortona
Villa Piazzano – About threemiles outside of the hilltop town of Cortona, it’s a retreat from the world. Itwill give you the Under The Tuscan Sun experience.
I know you said you were lookingat renting a villa or apartment. We’velooked at this option and have never really found something we liked enough tochoose it over the B&Bs we know. Andif you’re only staying a week or less, I wouldn’t bother with an apartment.
Places to eat (not to miss): La Bucaccia,Osteria del Teatro, La Loggetta

Lucca
I’ll echo what’s been said aboutdriving in Lucca. If you stay inside thewalls, it’s best to leave your car outside (you may have to) as parking isscarce and the streets are incredibly small. Else, for a place outside the walls, I’d recommend the Hotel Fabbrica diSan Martino. A beautiful place, you won’twant to leave.

We prefer to stay in Lucca anduse it as a base camp for day trips to Florence, Siena, and even as far away asPerugia. However, just for somethingdifferent, this year we’re going to stay in Florence proper for our base camp.
And watch out for the brigidini, they’remore addictive than crack cocaine!!

Cooooeeeey David

Many thanks for all that info, good of you to take the time

I agree about Maranello, will be in for lunch, Factory Tour & back out again. Ive been a dozen or so times now, but my other half hasn't & she wants to see the F1 side. Oh, yes.....you're damn right again, Modena is far, far nicer!

And having 'done' Garda Ill major somewhere else, prefer Fiats & Italian metal, can't stand to look at Porsches!

Have sent you a PM

post #53 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Peter,....WOW ! Looking at that photo and I am already having a dizzy spell.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
I'll be drifting round those roads in your hijacked Alfa Jimmy, I can't wait, lol

post #54 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,352
Hi Peter, sorry for coming in late on this thread and thanks for your lovely email

Here's a program I highly advise you if you can integrate this in your trip. It will bring you to the best mountain passes, including the Stelvio and some very nice hotels/restaurants:

Day 1:
Departure from or nearby Zurich - lunch at Gasthof Bären at Mägenwil (www.baeren-maegenwill.ch)

Leaving Mägenwil, take direction of Luzern, Zug, Bremgarten, then take the A3 direction of Chur, Luzerne. On the A13, take exit 9 Vaduz and enter Liechtenstein. Continue up to the Austrian border. Enter Feldkirch and take direction of Bludenz (don't take the motorway). Take direction of Montafon, Schruns. In Schruns, I advice the hotel Löwen - www.loewen-hotel.com. They have also a great Spa

Day 2: Shruns - Silvretta Pass - Ischgl - Nauders
Take the direction of the Silvretta Pass (2037m - Faszinierende Bergwelt - Silvretta Bielerhöhe) and Ischgl. There is a small fee to pay to get on this pass but really worth doing it as there are less tourists and is one of the best passes!

I recommend a lunch break at a very typical Austrian Auberge "Trofana Alm" (Trofana Alm in Ischgl, Restaurant, Apres Ski, Almhütte Ischgl, Paznauntal)

Take direction of Landeck and Nauders

Stay at Mein Almhof Hotel - Nauders (4*S Hotel in Nauders - Hotel Mein Almhof in Tirol)

Day 3: The best - 5 passes : Resio Pass (1507m) - Stelvio Pass (2758m) - Umbrail Pass (2503m) - Ofen Pass (2149m) and Füella Pass (2383m)

Departure direction of Resio Pass. After the Stelvio Pass, do not descend entirely but take the Umbrail Pass on your right (Umbrail Pass is the highest Swiss pass).

Lunch break at Valchava Restaurant (Ihr Hotel im Val Müstair, Hotel Central la Fainera.)

Continue direction of Zernez for the Ofen Pass, then the Flüela Pass. Direction of Davos/Klosters.

Stay at the Piz Buin Hotel in Klosters (Willkommen im Hotel Piz Buin Klosters! Hier finden Sie von allen Hotels die schönsten Zimmer in Klosters)

Day 4: Klosters - Walenstadt - Rapperswil (105km)

Lunch break at Rapperswil - Schwanen restaurant (Startseite)

The lake view is really nice there.

If you need any maps or more details, please let me know
post #55 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Owner

Stef, yet to be there myself, but that itinerary sounds like Swiss at her best !

Peter, warning, you may catch cold. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #56 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefvan View Post
hi peter, sorry for coming in late on this thread and thanks for your lovely email

here's a program i highly advise you if you can integrate this in your trip. It will bring you to the best mountain passes, including the stelvio and some very nice hotels/restaurants:

day 1:
departure from or nearby zurich - lunch at gasthof bären at mägenwil (www.baeren-maegenwill.ch)

leaving mägenwil, take direction of luzern, zug, bremgarten, then take the a3 direction of chur, luzerne. On the a13, take exit 9 vaduz and enter liechtenstein. Continue up to the austrian border. Enter feldkirch and take direction of bludenz (don't take the motorway). Take direction of montafon, schruns. In schruns, i advice the hotel löwen - www.loewen-hotel.com. They have also a great spa

day 2: Shruns - silvretta pass - ischgl - nauders
take the direction of the silvretta pass (2037m - faszinierende bergwelt - silvretta bielerhöhe) and ischgl. There is a small fee to pay to get on this pass but really worth doing it as there are less tourists and is one of the best passes!

I recommend a lunch break at a very typical austrian auberge "trofana alm" (trofana alm in ischgl, restaurant, apres ski, almhütte ischgl, paznauntal)

take direction of landeck and nauders

stay at mein almhof hotel - nauders (4*s hotel in nauders - hotel mein almhof in tirol)

day 3: The best - 5 passes : Resio pass (1507m) - stelvio pass (2758m) - umbrail pass (2503m) - ofen pass (2149m) and füella pass (2383m)

departure direction of resio pass. After the stelvio pass, do not descend entirely but take the umbrail pass on your right (umbrail pass is the highest swiss pass).

Lunch break at valchava restaurant (ihr hotel im val müstair, hotel central la fainera.)

continue direction of zernez for the ofen pass, then the flüela pass. Direction of davos/klosters.

Stay at the piz buin hotel in klosters (willkommen im hotel piz buin klosters! Hier finden sie von allen hotels die schã¶nsten zimmer in klosters)

day 4: Klosters - walenstadt - rapperswil (105km)

lunch break at rapperswil - schwanen restaurant (startseite)

the lake view is really nice there.

If you need any maps or more details, please let me know

youre a superstar stef, thanks for this info, i was scratching my head on how best to do this, so this is now....job done!

Please email the maps to me as thatd ensure i encompass everything correctly

Last edited by Scottish16M; 03-09-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #57 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Stef, yet to be there myself, but that itinerary sounds like Swiss at her best !

Peter, warning, you may catch cold. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Stef, sure sounds like Swiss at her finest, hoping you can join in for some of the fun!

Jimmy, it'll be height of summer you daft bugger, besides my other half will keep me warm & if all else fails Im cuddling Stiggy

post #58 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Owner

post #59 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy - Im pretty sure Stiggy will still be driving your Alfa, come over & claim her....you'll need new tires, Stiggy says, oops!

post #60 of 85 Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

As we'll be in Italy, this is somewhat appropriate!

How Italians Tell Time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode